Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Seating Primers (Read 1610 times)
Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Seating Primers
Jun 9th, 2024 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
In all of my sixty odd years of loading I have never come across this before.
32 Speer 223 cases full length resized which I don't know if new or I bought them as once fired, been sitting in the drawer for some time.
Primer pockets and flash holes cleaned with a Sinclair tool and Federal primers.
Using a Modern type Lee hand priming tool some of these cases were a real hard job to seat. Some went in half way and others I thought the tool might break to get them fully in.
Two I couldn't as shown in photo. 
Lucky to get them out of the case holder.
I suppose I should have measured the primers for any variations but in the middle of loading and time was running out.
15 primers left in the packet and no trouble with the other ones I used in other. cases.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2024 at 12:00am by Nero »  

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Seating Primers
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Those primer pockets look like they were originally crimped. If you had a short nose de-during tool you can remove the crimp pretty easy.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Definitely crimped primer pockets.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Crimped primer pockets in 223 commercial ammo are not uncommon. Remove the crimp.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I've had no problems with crimped primer pockets, but I use a countersink bit to remove the crimp edge and give it a tiny bevel. Then primers seat just fine.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2024 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Punched the two primers out and had a good look at the primer pockets and definitely crimped.
Run one of those little chamfer things that I clean up the case mouths after trimming and all good.
Trouble was the first ten or so were harder than usual to seat and then I had a few that were more so and then two that wouldn't seat at all out of the thirty two I was priming.
Didn't know that some commercial cases were crimped and only military brass was.
Thanks for the replies.

IP Logged

MarkTrew
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Has anyone found a noticeable difference between swaging the primer pockets to remove the crimp compared to reaming it out?

MarkTrew

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
many years back, owning several GI cans of military '06 ammo and fired hulls, I purchase a crimp remover from RCBS. Works just like they say it will= problem was, it's work. Set up the tool, clean the pockets (made a difference in how it went) and run 'em. Then only resume whatever steps  you need to take with the brass. It was just easier to bevel like Vall says while cleaning the pockets and be done with it. So,  the set of tools remain unused in my 'stuff' for no real reason. I think this may be the only time since I put them away that I have ever discussed the tool.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 7:00am
Print Post  

But, The “new and improved” Lee priming tools are junk. used the old style of years finally worn out bought the new one. It’s been redesigned by somebody who never primes.

Have a nice Pope style reproduction, use it for de-priming but it’s design does not suit me for priming. Combination design great for the shooting bench, deprime, clean pocket, prime, same tool. Ideal for breech seating. High volume priming dedicated tool better choice. Try the K-T tool, better leverage smooth and precise. Design much like the original Lee with improvements.

Boats

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 11:21am
Print Post  
boats wrote on Jul 13th, 2024 at 7:00am:

But, The “new and improved” Lee priming tools are junk. used the old style of years finally worn out bought the new one. It’s been redesigned by somebody who never primes.

Have a nice Pope style reproduction, use it for de-priming but it’s design does not suit me for priming. Combination design great for the shooting bench, deprime, clean pocket, prime, same tool. Ideal for breech seating. High volume priming dedicated tool better choice. Try the K-T tool, better leverage smooth and precise. Design much like the original Lee with improvements.

Boats
I agree 100%, bought the new style several years ago. No feel is only one of the problems. I went back to the old style.
Mike 

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 11:25am
Print Post  
For priming only I like the old style RCBS tools.  I keep 2 in my range boxes along with extra inserts and holders.  Recently I acquired a Weber re-decapper that I like in .22 Hornet. I made a copy in 32-40. The design does not allow the holder or primer size to easily be changed so I plan to make a copy that uses the RCBS inserts

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Jack, 
Seeing your Weber re- and de- makes me curious. Do you hold it with the body in your hand against the web of your thumb and with the fingers around the lever, or vice versa?  Both ways seem possible but it seems like the latter position might be a little more ergonomic.
Froggie

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
It is most comfortable with the thumb om the lever.  Here is the original 25 Hornet version with a brass body.  I have some 3/4' brass rod for the next ones I make.  There is a little protrusion (see arrow) that causes the decapping rod to pop out slightly as the lever is depressed.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Disassembled

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Many people are unaware that Federal primers are a slight bit bigger in diameter than the other manufacturers make. 
First time in new cases they fit a bit tighter and with use your pockets end up widening a hair.
Using other primers later results in looser primers in the pockets.
I have always recommended never using Federal primers and then switching and if you do stick with Federal primers in those cases from then on.
Were the primer pockets crimped from loosening up with other primers after Federal primers had been used?
Or just the need to remove crimp flare on new factory loaded cases as advised above.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2024 at 1:01pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint