Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 44 1/2 set trigger (Read 503 times)
Gunny

44 1/2 set trigger
May 24th, 2024 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
I recently shot my 441/2 Stevens mod.45. Several times the set trigger would not trip the sear. It stays in full cock, the fly is in the proper place, no wood is binding the moving parts. It will work fine for several shots and then fail to trip the sear. Has anyone out there had the same experience? How do you fix it? I have read the other posts about set triggers but they didn't seem to help.
Thanks 
Gunny

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 44 1/2 set trigger
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2024 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
My first question is whether the un-set trigger is exceptionally heavy.  I've never had this happen in a Stevens, but a set-trigger Winchester I have needed the full-cock notch in the hammer stoned. 

<div class=

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2024 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
My guess is the rear trigger spring is broken at the screw hole.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2024 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Premod70 may be on to something.  Could be the screw is loose. Have you recently put more pressure on the main spring? Have you recently tightened all the frame screws?  The next question I have is how does the tension feel on the rear trigger, when you set it.  If there’s not much tension then the spring is probably the issue.  I recently fix a Ballard double set that would not trip the trigger.  The Ballard works similar to the 44 1/2 and there was very little pressure on the rear trigger.  Took it apart and found the rear trigger worn down where the spring contacts it.  Just remember that the 44 1/2 set trigger spring needs balancing if modified.  If not done correctly you can cause other issues.  Like not catching the full cock notch.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Gunny

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2024 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I will take it apart again tomorrow and check the spring. I didn't take it out to see if it might be cracked. I did fire it with the trigger unset. It didn't seem particularly heavy, but I will check the full cock notch also to see if it needs stoning.
Thanks for the help.
Gunny

IP Logged

Gunny

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2024 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Success with the 441/2 set triggers ! I took it apart again and checked for broken springs, stoned the sear nose carefully, made sure no springs were binding against anything. I noticed the rear trigger was just barley touching the Pope style finger lever when the front trigger was touched. To make a long story interesting, half a dozen strokes with a fine cut pillar file to the finger lever and it tripped the sear every time. I probably removed .003 to.004 of metal but that was all it took. I must be a slow learner. 
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. 
Gunny

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint