Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paper patch chamber questions (Read 697 times)
Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Paper patch chamber questions
May 19th, 2024 at 11:13am
Print Post  
The basic questions are 

Is the lead and throat different to accommodate the patch?

If yes, how?

What tends to work out better, if might shoot both patched and bare?

Patched bullet in a standard chamber?
Standard bullet in a patched chamber?

IP Logged

4060may

Re: Paper patch chamber questions
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2024 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
two places helped me
Loading & Shooting Paper Patched Bullets,
by R. Wright

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

a repost of Brent's site

you could also ask on the Shiloh site, many PP shooters there

HTH
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2024 at 12:30pm by 4060may »  

IP Logged

Bluedog
Participating Member

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Dellet

I shoot both bore diameter and dual diameter paper patch Bullets out of a standard chamber. 

Jason

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2024 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I think there are lots of chambers that work based on what I've seen.  I have a few rifles with chambers built with Dan Theodore reamers.  These were based on chamber castings done from an original Borchardt target rifle given to a man who worked for the Sharps Rifle Company. 

The chambers are 0.474" in diameter at the case mouth, so there is only room for a bore diameter bullet, no freebore, just an angle from the case mouth to the bore.  In this case pretty steep at 25 degrees, most advocate much shallower angles.   From 7 degrees to 1.5 per side. I'd like to try a shallower angle one day, just to compare.

My rifles shoot quite well ( I have them in .45-70, .45-90, & .45-100. )  Although they are quite picky about powder lots and granulations.   Much more so than any of my rifles that use grease grooved bullets.  I currently have a lot of Swiss Fg that they all work very well with, but I have owned lots of Swiss 1.5 that none would shoot well.       

If I were to build a new paper patch rifle for long range shooting with bore diameter bullets, it would be based on Brent Danielson's reamer as I'm curious to see how it would compare to what I've got.  It seemed to work well for him, as well as for Jim Kluskens (RIP).

Chris.

IP Logged

steveu

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2024 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
FWIW,
I have a DZ 40-65 chamber (I guess you can call it a standard chamber) that shoots GG bullets and DDPP bullets very well.  What are you going to do with the PP bullets, LR, SIL, Hunt or plinking?

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2024 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Mostly just want to try out of curiosity. I have a 32-35 Maynard that would be the trial.

Maynard and others seem to mention a special chamber for paper patch, but I haven’t been able to find out what was different.

Long range plans I would like to try a 30-30 Wesson and that would require a reamer being made. So trying to get an idea of what difference might be needed to set it up for paper patch, and if doesn’t work out, will a grease groove bullet still work reasonably well.

200 yards is probably the limit of distance for targets.

IP Logged

Bluedog
Participating Member

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2024 at 7:05am
Print Post  
I’m certainly no expert. 
The research I’ve done on this has been the proposition of a “paper patch chamber” for a new build. And one of the main factors is a smaller diameter chamber to keep fireformed brass to a smaller diameter to accept hand seated bore diameter PP Bullets without sizing brass. So this option wouldn’t be possible to alter an existing chamber and also would eliminate the option of shooting groove diameter Bullets. 
I’m sure there are many more factors that I don’t fully understand. 
Jason

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2024 at 8:53am
Print Post  
You can still shoot them very well out of a conventional style chamber if the chamber dimensions are reasonable.   

If you have no freebore then just load bore diameter bullets after full length sizing the cases.  If the bullets are sloppy in the case mouth you might want to find a way to further reduce the case mouth.  This is how I shoot my Shiloh Sharps .45-110.  I basically copied what Kenny Wasserburger does.  It works quite well.

If you have freebore, check out the dual diameter bullets that have become popular in the last several years.  Basically the rear portion of the bullet is larger so that when patched it fills the freebore, while the patched nose rides on the lands.  They aren't a tapered bullet, but a stepped one.  I haven't used these, but there are people getting good results with them.

Chris.

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2024 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
You may not be able to seat groove diameter bullets into a case that was made for a bore dia. PP bullets. In a standard chamber I’d try Dual Diameter (DD) bullets with the larger base diameter of the bullet around ..150” long and seat it in the case about .100 to .125”. You will not be working the brass case very much. I’d anneal every firing. Shallow bullet seating in the case allows the patched bullet to align concentric to the bore more easily. Try a lot of different papers to get the good fit of the bullet to the bore. .063” thick LDPE wads work for me.
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint