Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Quigly over powder wad smokeless rule? (Read 2279 times)
Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Quigly over powder wad smokeless rule?
May 10th, 2024 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
  I sure wouldn't like to be in charge of enforcing that rule.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #1 - May 11th, 2024 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Not “always,” but going on for a few years now.

One lady badly damaged her hand when her Ballard blew up and a year or two later some guy cracked his chamber and the bottom of his Pedersoli Sharps action.  Both were using 5744 with overpowder wads.

No prohibition against using 5744, or any safe smokeless load; just no wads over double base.

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2024 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Just my thoughts, but in the spirit of the game I would like to see black powder loads only .....period.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2024 at 9:27am
Print Post  
I wonder if there are any records of scores that include.whether shooters used BP or smokeless or duplex.  There is an active local BP group at my home range.  I haven’t participated yet but am considering it.  The longest range is only 200 yds and over 1/2 of the record targets are shot at 100 yds and their offhand ‘King’ target is shot at 50 yds.  When I first got into single shots after watching Quigley Down Under, grease groove bullets were pushing paper patch out, but locally PP is making a resurgence.  Iron sights don’t work well for me anymore but my 38-55 high wall has scope blocks and my old Stevens 368 with clickless Winchester A5 mounts would fit in.  I should dig out the crosssticks and make turn some Blackpowder into white smoke again.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2024 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
[quote 

I also think only original rifles should only  be allowed, no modern replicas.
[/quote]

Hey Quigley used a  "modern replica"!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2024 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
If modern rifles weren't allowed the Quigley would probably die quickly. I know the attendance from guys shooting Shiloh Sharps, and CPA rifles (plus a few others) would be greatly reduced as soon as that type of rule came about.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2024 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on May 10th, 2024 at 8:17pm:
  I sure wouldn't like to be in charge of enforcing that rule.

When I shot BPCS the officers would randomly take cartridges out of your cartridge box and break them down to check for conformity of the rules.  They would return to you a zip lock bag with all the components and wish you good luck.  Never saw anybody disqualified for illegal ammo.  Everyone knew the rules and you could be checked at any time.  Charlie

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2024 at 11:57am
Print Post  
It''s a pretty simple deal, no wads in smokeless loads. As with so many rules that one is written in blood.
In the last few years, there has been one rifle blow up with serious injury to the shooter, and by the grace of god no bystanders were hurt. ! rifle blew but fortunately nobody got hurt. 1 more rifle bulged the barrel bad enough that it not blowing was just and act of grace.
If you don't like the rules at a match someplace don't go.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2024 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
The Marksman range close to Puyalllup WA did not allow handloads but would sell you their handloaded ammo.  Also no lead bullets except for .22 rf.

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2024 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I personally don't like shooting next to a shooter shooting the large capacity shells loaded with smokeless powder. 
The Ballard that blew at the Q I was within 20 feet from her looking in that direction when it blew and I saw parts hitting the ground. Terrible sight to see her in pain. 

The night before this happen we sat around at the campsite discussing loads and this smokeless subject came up and I said that I have seen one at our local range get a walnut at the chamber right after I told him not to shoot that load when I asked what the load was. He said I loaded some 5744. I said that .45-3-1/4 (.45-120) is a very large case and the loose powder could get a flash over making a destination he said I have a wad holding it down, I said don't shoot that load!! and he said I loaded smokeless for many years with out a problem and I said your new rifle you are showing me with that load wont take it. 
He went off to the 100 yard range for a sight setting. Pretty soon he came back asking if I had a cleaning rod with me, What's the matter I asked and he said I cant get the case out. His rifle held but the chamber was bulged.
When I shoot at the Q during practice and a smokeless shooter comes on line I don't like the filler they use burning my eyes when the wind blows in my direction. 
Below is the Ballard I took pictures of that blew.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2024 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
cast action??  art

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2024 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
  It must be a pretty careless bunch at the Quigly. At Etna Green almost everyone uses a wad of some sort with no problem.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2024 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on May 12th, 2024 at 4:53pm:
cast action??  art

Art, that hollow space under the barrel threads confirms it's a cast action.

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2024 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on May 12th, 2024 at 5:05pm:
  It must be a pretty careless bunch at the Quigly. At Etna Green almost everyone uses a wad of some sort with no problem.

If you think a "careless bunch" is limited only to the Quigley gathering, you would be wrong.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - May 12th, 2024 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Loading cartridges has never been something people who aren't careful, and fairly intelligent should do. And those who don't know how to load with smokeless powders safely should probably stick with BP. 
But for those willing to be careful, and learn what powders work well with smokeless there's no reason to fear loading smokeless powder into old cartridges, or guns made for those cartridges.
We've all heard of this cast Ballard that blew up, and some have blamed wads used with double based powders, while others blame whoever decided to build up a larger CF cartridge on a cast action Ballard. I personally think that with care and the right loads that Ballard cast action would hold up forever in .38-55, but I also wouldn't build one myself. I've shot a #2 cast action someone chambered in .32-40 for many years, and always using light loads of smokeless powder at pressures my ballistic program say are around 16,000 psi. I've never worried about it giving up, and I still don't. I wont use double base smokeless powders, with or without wads on the powder. But I wont use wads on top of the powder with single base either. Wads are either going to be at the case mouth, or with BP loads that are full cases.
I just shake my head when the discussions pop up about smokeless vs. BP in old guns. There's plenty of guys who know how to load smokeless in reduced charges, or with slower powder, and have been doing so safely for many decades.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint