Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Corbin press (Read 574 times)
sportslube
Oldtimer

Corbin press
Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Will be getting from my friend his Corbin swaging press that he never used. Should have a couple of dies with it.  Has anyone ever used one?  And it will be for sale in the future along with 5 different diameter for lead wire,  what are they worth?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Corbin press
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Here's their website to check new prices.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Since there's not a lot of people swaging bullets that I know of, I'd suspect the market might not be great as far as values go. If it's all like new maybe consider trying 75% of new, and see if anyone bites?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Gerald
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 5:19am
Print Post  
I have one of Corbins S-Press it has a sticker model CSP-1 one of the sides.
This press can use standard dies and it is what I reload with and you can look up the price on Corbins website.
I bought a stand for mine which makes it easier to use at my bench, I bought mine originally to play with swaging paper patch style bullets for BPCR and it does a fantastic job, it is fun watching pure lead or 1:16 cores extruded through the three openings of one of the dies that is used to set the weight.
I will be interesting to know what your friends dies were intended for as Corbin can make just about anything that comes to mind.

IP Logged

Bobduck

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2024 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
I have one that I've been using to swage 22 caliber bullets for 22 Long Rifle experimenting.

Works great.

One tip.

When swaging a bullet complete the up stroke (forming the bullet) and hold it all the way up and watch the extra lead come out of the bleeder hole until it stops coming out.  Five seconds for me and my small bullets.

When I first started I wasn't doing this and my bullets varied by a few tenths of a grain.

Now all weight exactly the same with a very occasional one a tenth off.

I'm swaging 60 grains.

For these little pills it's no more effort than seating a primer.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - yesterday at 3:21am
Print Post  
I'm having a hard time sourcing 50 cal bullets over 515 grains here in Germany. I looked at the Corbin years ago and maybe I need to go back and look again Smiley

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - yesterday at 4:44am
Print Post  
I know a guy who is trying to sell several Corbin presses and a great many dies.  If you are interested, PM me. The price is right.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - yesterday at 11:46am
Print Post  
sportslube
For quite some years now, I have been using an RCE (Richard) Corbin press to make .40 & .45 cal bullets for paper patching. Starting with cast bullets (mostly 1:20 tin-lead), I then run them through the swage. My process for this is detailed in my book "Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets". It's a straight forward process and produces highly consistent bullets. The gear is kind of pricey for just my personal use but the whole setup has been worthwhile IMO.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Today at 8:50am
Print Post  
RSW wrote yesterday at 11:46am:
sportslube
For quite some years now, I have been using an RCE (Richard) Corbin press to make .40 & .45 cal bullets for paper patching. Starting with cast bullets (mostly 1:20 tin-lead), I then run them through the swage. My process for this is detailed in my book "Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets". It's a straight forward process and produces highly consistent bullets. The gear is kind of pricey for just my personal use but the whole setup has been worthwhile IMO.

Could you take 45 caliber bullets and swage them to 50?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Today at 12:13pm
Print Post  
The press is a very robust design and the primary market for them is shooters who make their own jacketed bullets . . . so, swaging a .45 slug up to .50 should not be a too difficult providing you have a .50 die. I've not tried it though. Bullet alloy would play into how much effort it would take to swage them.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Today at 12:30pm
Print Post  
SchwartzStock wrote Today at 8:50am:
RSW wrote yesterday at 11:46am:
sportslube

Could you take 45 caliber bullets and swage them to 50?

Back in 1988, I spent a year working with the man whose Corbin presses and dies I'm helping to move on. The larger hand-powered press is capable of doing the job. But the dies may be even more expensive than the setup RSW describes.  Starting with a cast bullet closer to the desired end diameter might reduce the cost of tooling and make the process simpler.   

I don't know if any of that stuff is patented. I saw similar equipment in use in the US Navy's minesweepers in the 1960s. Had nothing to do with bullets.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Today at 12:56pm
Print Post  
The dies are indeed the key to the whole swaging process. Over the years I have gotten away from swaging from cast lead alloy cylinders to casting bullets that nearly conform to the die. Swaging just squishes them a little into final configuration. My cast bullets can be fired as cast or swaged. Either works and for ranges out to 200 yards accuracy between swaged and cast is indistinguishable.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint