Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 50-70 as a viable cartridge? (Read 677 times)
UpNorthCountry
Participating Member

50-70 as a viable cartridge?
Apr 21st, 2024 at 8:27am
Print Post  
A while back I fooled around and made a bid on a rolling block in 50-70 to become a project donor rifle. After getting it, I realized it’s one of the nicest tightest cleanest New York rollers I’ve ever come across. I don’t have the heart to butcher it any worst than what had already been done.   

With that being said, I need to justify keeping it around. But everywhere I’ve looked, the 50-70 is regarded as a slouch. It makes sense. Super slow twist for that short projectile. No real options for bullets etc. 

In Michigan, it’s under (or at) the 1.8” max for straight wall cartridge, so I CAN use it for deer hunting in the lower lower peninsula. It’s not hard to kill a 160 lb white tail. But, how would it work on black bear? Elk? Other species at under 200 yd shots?   
Can’t do much about the freebore or your projectile will weigh 600 gr. Can’t get too long because the bbl doesn’t have any twist rate. Can’t ALOT of things. 

Any experience or ideas are appreciated. It’s just awkward enough that I’d like to utilize it, despite the 1 yard long barrel Cheesy

IP Logged

curdog

Re: 50-70 as a viable cartridge?
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Try loading it with a case full of 2F and a round ball. Easy on your shoulder, and the old rifle.
I did this one time with a light 500 x 3", which was absolutely brutal with a standard load. Cloverleaf groups at 30 yards.
There is not a whitetail deer in North America that the above load won't take down, out to 75 yards.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:34am
Print Post  
50-70 was William Cody's buffalo rifle.
Custer's account of his 50-70 rolling block took every animal in the West and the most accurate rifle in camp to hear him tell it.
Probably adequate for anything in North America if one keeps the range limitations in mind.
Chuck

IP Logged

UpNorthCountry
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I should Just put a modern twist bbl on it at 26”‘for hunting but save the other barrel because it’s immaculate and pristine inside. However something about keeping the orig together appeals to me.  I have some treebone wood I’d like to find someone to finish for for me but haven’t been able to find anyone here in Michigan. The orig buttstock has the company name and stuff still in it 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 11:39am
Print Post  
UpNorthCountry wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:59am:
I should Just put a modern twist bbl on it at 26”‘for hunting but save the other barrel because it’s immaculate and pristine inside. However something about keeping the orig together appeals to me.  I have some treebone wood I’d like to find someone to finish for for me but haven’t been able to find anyone here in Michigan. The orig buttstock has the company name and stuff still in it 

You have one of the best resources for a restock right in Adrian, Mi. at Johnson's Sporting Goods. Steve Durren is the gunsmith there, and does great work.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

UpNorthCountry
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I know Steve. His work is amazing. However He retired this last fall and when I talked to him last sept, he was focusing on his own projects. You’re right though. I should call him and see who he knows locally.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I think that you should work with the original barrel and the 515141, or maybe better, the 515142 and see how it goes. To get the 600 grain plus bullets that the faster twist would like up to the velocity of the originals will rock your socks and gain little in trajectory except at distances that you shouldn't be shooting at game. I've done both with an original trapdoor and a Higginbotham roller.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
the .50-70 and original 450 grain bullet will absolutely poleax any north american game in the original black powder loading.  Trajectory is a bit limiting on yardage, but otherwise, an excellent choice for hunting.  I'd limit to about 125 to 150 yards because of trajectory, unless you have time to range the distance and account for bullet drop.

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
……But everywhere I’ve looked, the 50-70 is regarded as a slouch.…..
Tell that to a couple of hundred thousand Buffalo that fell to that slouch during the late 1860s through the 1870s.  Cry
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2024 at 6:40pm by rollingblock »  

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2024 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Don't berlieve the "everywhere I've looked" people.   Most of them probably have never even shot a 50-70.   It is a great cartridge for hunting if you just stay with its originbal loading.  Lyman 515141 and about 67-70 grains of 2F.   I use that load in a NY Carbine, an 1870 Remington Navy, a 50-70 Peabody carbine, a Shiloh Infantry rifle,  and a Sharps Conversion carbine.   It shoots just fine for hunting in all of them.  Keep it simple!!  That Remington will make 'm come for you.

George

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:06am
Print Post  
UpNorthCountry wrote on Apr 21st, 2024 at 10:59am:

Please don't modify that old roller! It will perform beautifully. One of the joys of shooting original pieces is getting them to perform to their max ability and knowing their limitations!

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:21am
Print Post  
The .50-70 and a paper patch bullet which will allow more powder will surely up the performance level. Man Mich. regs have sure change over the years, been 30 yrs since I left.
kw

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2024 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I have a #5 Roller in a 50-70 and use 5744 and Re-7 powder with 450 and 500 grain bullets.  My twist is 1:26 so the heavier bullet shoots better.  I am taking it on a buffalo hunt next week and have no qualms about the ability to kill one and make the total a couple of hundred thousand and one buffalos that have been dispatched by one.  The other rifle I am taking is a Ballard Pacific in 40-85 and am shooting 3fffg with a 400 grain bullet.  It is my first choice but I have had two cases separate in the last month and it is too late to get more 9.3x74R brass in time for the hunt so I am somewhat afraid to use it as it might be a one shot and done situation if another separates. I went through with a bent paper clip to feel for potential splits and found one case that I threw away.  Anyway, don't be afraid to hunt with a 50-70 and also don't be afraid to use smokeless.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

UpNorthCountry
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
KFW wrote on Apr 24th, 2024 at 9:21am:
The .50-70 and a paper patch bullet which will allow more powder will surely up the performance level. Man Mich. regs have sure change over the years, been 30 yrs since I left.
kw

It hasn’t gotten any better I’ll tell you that!

IP Logged

John Rigby

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2024 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I elk hunt in Montana with my original sporting Roller in 50-70.  Accurate at 200 yards.  Use the 450 grain gg.

John Rigby

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint