Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My model 44 (Read 771 times)
wildthing

My model 44
Apr 2nd, 2024 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I bought a early model 44 a couple weeks ago and the fireing pin hits low. Any suggestions on why or fixes for this? It locks up fairly tight but you can see a little light between the block and the end of the barrel.I cant detect any slop in the block ,meaning it dosent move up or down with it disconected from the hammer and the link. Any help will be appreciated.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: My model 44
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Here's my best guess, early model 44's have an adjustment screw for headspace in the breech block that is visible when you open the action. Possibly someone has backed out the screw so it locks up tight, but unfortunately it increases headspace, along with not allowing the breechblock to travel upwards for the firing pin  to align properly. . Here's a picture of an early model 44 breech block that has the adjustment screw.

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Thankyou Sure Shot, I checked the screw and it is screwed in as tight as it will go. Im out of ideas.there has to be an answer.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
What does the spacing look like when you have a case in the chamber? What happens when you loosen the screw?

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
oneatatime when I chamber one with a factory round nothing changes,still see light . I made up a dummy round so it just touches the rifeling and closes with a snap the rim sticks out enough to close the gap. If I turn the screw out a 1/4 turn it opens to about 003 th. tested with feeler gauges. it is less than 001 inch with the screw all the way in tight.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Learn something new today!  Did not know the early guns had this screw.   

So, if you turn it in to raise the breech block…how about a longer screw… or maybe the tip is worn down?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Bob ,turning the screw dosen't raise the block it will lower the block and open the headspace a small amount.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
As with most "as-found" Model 44s, the toggle linkage is loose from wear and firing.  Solution is to ream all the toggle pin holes to a snug fit on 5mm pins.  Also possible but unlikely that the lever pivot is loose.  p/m me and I'll send you the detail setup procedure for tightening up your action. 

In a properly set up 44 the toggle linkage clamps the breechblock hard against the barrel face.  That screw in the breechblock was a coverup for the fact that as the gun ages the loose linkage fails to do so, so the lever "droops".  A later coverup was a springloaded plunger in the lever.  What Stevens should have done but never did was to make the link out of a high carbon steel, through-hardened.  Instead, right to the end, it was a mild steel stamping, lightly case-hardened.

<div class=

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
So, Phil, have you ever made a link out of, say, O-1, and through hardened?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I do have a little kiln that I have used for springs, so I could do links from annealed tool steels and harden them, but I haven't.  Instead I've done two 44 links from 4130 prehard, and a couple for 1915 Favorites from 4140 prehard.  Both will cut pretty easily with carbide.  The milled profiles aren't exact, since I don't have CNC.  I round the exterior contours on a belt sander.   I will never live long enough to determine how much the service life of my .25-20s will be increased, but it just has  to help.  I have some gunsmith's mistake of a .32-40 (rebarrelled a gun without the lugged hammer) to do this summer if my health holds out.   

Something I've found interesting is that the hole spacing of factory links varies. I've made up a set of dummy links with varying spacing to test a rifle before committing to making a final example.  (I read that Ballard rebuilders do the same.)  So it won't likely come to pass that a parts house will offer a generic link.  I'm more than half convinced that Stevens was doing a "selective fit" process when assembling the rifles.

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 6:03am
Print Post  
I've used Kasenit to re-harden original links for both model 44's and Favorites. I know that Kasenit is no longer available but other hardening compounds like Cherry red are available. For Favorites Jack First Gun Parts have newly made links and link pins for both 1894 and 1915 models.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2024 at 6:21am
Print Post  
Just case hardening a soft steel link is the problem.  The link takes a load of about 75% of the breech thrust on those little bitty pins, and the soft core is not strong enough to resist the battering.  The holes get pounded oval, and the breechblock is no longer held up as high as it should be anymore.  Reaming will bring it back to battery for a while, but eventually it will happen again.  What it always needed was a steel with a higher yield strength.

<div class=

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2024 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Thanks everone for all the information and help in trying to figure this out.People on this site are very knowlageable and freely spread their experiances with anyone needing help.Again thankyou

IP Logged

Clint
Participating Member

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2024 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
In wildthing's OP, he just mentioned that the firing pin hit low, he didn't say by how much or what caliber.  He did not mention if his rifle was a bought as a center fire or rim fire.  The breech block shown by Sure Shot looks to me like it is a 44 rim fire breech block.  Another member here told me that he bought a 44 rifle that had a center fire breech block that someone had screwed a .25 RF barrel into, which worked out great for him when converting Hornet brass to reload his .25 Rf as a CF.  Could it be that wildthing has CF barrel with a RF breech block?

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2024 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Clint, the rifle is a center fire in 25-20. The fireing pin was hitting low by about 1/2 the width of the pin. usccra112 sent me some 5 mm pins and instructions on how to drill and ream the holes in the block and link. I am waiting on getting some time to get to this project done. I will get back to let people know nhow this works out . Thanks to Phil for his generosity I hope to get this old girl shooting again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint