Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fecker Egg Won't Move (Read 636 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Fecker Egg Won't Move
Mar 31st, 2024 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I picked up a very nice Fecker scope yesterday at a show and when I got it home both lock rings were tight and wouldn't move. I got them loose by putting a drop or two of Kroil on both sides of the rings and they loosened up fine but the "egg" does not move or the erector lens cell. I put a couple drops of Kroil on both sides of that and let it run down between the cylinder and the scope threads. Today I used heat from a hair dryer but didn't want to go any hotter and it's still not moving so thought before I do anything else, I should find out from the pros that owned Feckers. I assume that when you turn one lock ring in one direction that that center egg should move back and forth depending on the direction but it's not. Am I missing something? Could they cell be stuck on the inside of the scope tube? Any ideas where I should go next? Thanks.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fecker Egg Won't Move
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2024 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 1:04am
Print Post  
I have a 12x Fecker that was frozen and one of first things I did was lube that area. Doing that got oil inside the cell and on the lens and X hair so, be very careful when oiling that area.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Kroil: "The Oil that Creeps". Wonderful penetrating oil (I swear by it) but have always been leery of using it on scope threads for the very reasons Frank cited.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
"Creepy oil is a no-no" John Unertl said that to me.  If you must, use a dry lubricant such as LPS1 or one that Starett makes for use on fine measuring devices. I am sure there are others that would work as well. Those are two that I have used successfully. Even with those use very sparingly, and stay away from threads that penetrate the internals/lenses if possible.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2024 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Just to check, as in the link I sent, did you loosen the screws? Just wanted to be sure.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2024 at 9:30am
Print Post  
bnice wrote on Apr 1st, 2024 at 6:24pm:
Just to check, as in the link I sent, did you loosen the screws? Just wanted to be sure.

I did loosen the screws and got the cylinder to wiggle a little on the scope body.  The cell was stuck inside the tube and I got it to move back and forth about an 3/16" of an inch.  It looks like the cell is made from aluminum and not brass like in a Unertl. That may be why it's not moving like it should as aluminum tends to oxidize over time. I'm going to keep working at it by adding a little lubricant a drop at a time with a syringe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint