Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guidance on PPB 45-90 for a new BPCR shooter (Read 1087 times)
Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Guidance on PPB 45-90 for a new BPCR shooter
Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

I have a CPA made Stevens 44 1/2 in 45-90 that I would like to shoot with PPB. I have read various posts made on the subject and also The Paper Jacket (by Paul Matthews). I have not yet read book by Randy S Wright, but the book is ordered and on its way.

The part I'm confused is with the different advice on what the unpatched and patched bullet size should be, to bore diameter vs groove diameter, throat shapem, smokeless vs black powder vs blackpowder with swabbing, and so on. 

My scenario is, blackpowder with swabbing in between shots. Hoping to get to Oak Ridge for the first time this year in October if I can get reasonable ammunition dialed in. 

The best I can measure with slugs is that I have a bore diameter of 0.453". I am unsure of the shape of the throat taper. I might attempt chamber casting with cerrosafe but I had  a bad experience before so not sure if I want to risk it again...

I have a bullet mould (straight sided bullet) that casts  1:16 lead to 0.442" (used for by Gibbs rifle). Would this be way too small to use, even if I use paper on the thicker side to get to 0.453"? 

I would appreciate any advice to get me started, especially for deciding on a bullet mould (if I need another one) and sizers since those might be the longer lead items to purchase if I want to finish load development before the August deadline. 

thank you!

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: Guidance on PPB 45-90 for a new BPCR shooter
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:43am
Print Post  
PM Beltfed, he has the experience you need. Another thought is search his posts on this forum.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:43am
Print Post  
If your bore diameter is .453 you'll likely want a .448-.450 diameter bullet patched in 8 lb paper. Seth Cole 55w. Assuming it's an 18 twist barrel keep the bullet length to 1.42, you might get away with 1.45.
I load the straight sided bullets with a thick Napa rubber cork wad, and a muzzleloader original dry lubed felt wad under the bullet.
If the throat in your rifle is like the one in my CPA you might find the dual diameter bullet with a .450 base diameter to shoot quite well again patched with the SC 55w.
Fouling control is paramount for patched accuracy.

IP Logged

silver

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Beltfed is the guy that can guide u in the right direction . But he will most likely talk u into going with a duel dia. Bullet. I know that’s 
What he shoots in a 40-65 and 38-50 Hepburn . I’ve seen his 40-65 
Hi wall in action and it’s a tack driver. I do know bore pigs and a 
Dry patch will be in order.

IP Logged

Bluedog
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Another great resource is Kenny Wasserburger’s book. He is on the Shiloh forum

I can tell you 9# onion skin paper from BACO dry patched adds .006”
I shoot .444 (patched to .450)
And DD .452to.444 (patched is .458to.450) in a Shiloh Sharps bore .450 groove .458
Both Moulds are Steve Brooks

Good luck!
Jason

IP Logged

Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2024 at 12:19am
Print Post  
@Premod70  Is beltfed Mr. Seitz who has a mould design being sold at Buffalo arms? I found a few helpful posts from him so far. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Rand13  I happen to have a lot of Seth Cole 55w so that would work out nicely if I could get mould to match. Could you please explain the 1.42" length advice on the 18 twist barrel, which I do indeed have? I always thought bullet weight was the key factor when considering twist, but is length another factor? Or is it just longer = heavier? I couldn't find a bullet with the dimension you advised at Buffalo arms. I guess it would have to be custom then...

@silver  I've been advised that paper patching requires cleaning the fowling each shot to be able to chamber the round without crushing the paper. Do you know how to make bore pigs? I know Buffalo arms had this thing little brass spike with some felt wads you can push through from the breech end. 

@Bluedog  I sent Kenny an email inquiring about the book. Hopefully he replies back. For DD bullets, do you patch the smaller diameter to the bore and larger diameter to the groove? 

thanks guys for the advice so far!

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2024 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Paper patch , bullet length is king. weight is secondary.
1.42 comes from a lot of rounds down range at 1000 yards, with bullets cast from adjustable moulds testing various lengths. I have a range here on my property that I can shoot to over a mile if I want to. Testing in various wind conditions mostly looking for a good 1000 yard load that would hold 2 moa or less vertical.
Patching the dual diameter bullet you want to adjust the patch length so that the edges either touch or slightly overlap the base diameter. Wet patching will shrink the paper tight on the bullet. Best to wet patch and then set them on a cup/candle warmer to dry. on that 1.42 length I like to keep the patch width to 7/8 inch.
BACO will build you the bullet modified from one of their designs. I like to keep the base length to 1 caliber. Brooks will also build you a dual diameter. If you go that route it will be adjustable, and I suggest having him put his original postel nose, and a flat base base plug. Altho he will build you a fixed base pour.
Been messing with these dual diameter bullets since before they were cool. What you'll find either the rifle will love em or hate em and there doesn't seem to be any in-between. I also believe that with the dual diameter bullet that a single thick wad is all you really need under it. Seat it so that it just does chamber, Ie the transition sets right against the throat.

IP Logged

Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2024 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Mar 28th, 2024 at 1:01am:
Paper patch , bullet length is king. weight is secondary.
1.42 comes from a lot of rounds down range at 1000 yards, with bullets cast from adjustable moulds testing various lengths. I have a range here on my property that I can shoot to over a mile if I want to. Testing in various wind conditions mostly looking for a good 1000 yard load that would hold 2 moa or less vertical.
Patching the dual diameter bullet you want to adjust the patch length so that the edges either touch or slightly overlap the base diameter. Wet patching will shrink the paper tight on the bullet. Best to wet patch and then set them on a cup/candle warmer to dry. on that 1.42 length I like to keep the patch width to 7/8 inch.
BACO will build you the bullet modified from one of their designs. I like to keep the base length to 1 caliber. Brooks will also build you a dual diameter. If you go that route it will be adjustable, and I suggest having him put his original postel nose, and a flat base base plug. Altho he will build you a fixed base pour.
Been messing with these dual diameter bullets since before they were cool. What you'll find either the rifle will love em or hate em and there doesn't seem to be any in-between. I also believe that with the dual diameter bullet that a single thick wad is all you really need under it. Seat it so that it just does chamber, Ie the transition sets right against the throat.

I sure am jealous of your shooting "range"! Being in MA, 200yd is as far as I can get unless I get special permission to use the HighPower 600yd range. 

I'd like to understand more about the design of a DDPP bullet. 
- Is the base diameter designed for bore diameter and body diameter designed for the bore? 
- Would I aim to patch up to these dimensions with the paper I plan to use? 
- how much of the bullet should have the respective diameters (33% base diameter, 33% body diameter, 33% nose)? 
- as far as having Brooks make a mould, is the flat base plug option a nose pour design with the ability to change the overall length of the bullet? 

thanks!

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2024 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I like the dual diameter bullets to be the same diameter as the bore , before patching, with the nose diameter at or just slightly under what you would use on a straight sided bullet patched to bore. Typically I like the seth cole 55 y, but 55 w does work.
I find that what ever the total length of the bullet is the base should ideally be 1 caliber long, IE 44 and 45  .4 long, with an 11 degree taper from the base to the base of the nose. 
Yes the base plug is for a nose pour adjustable mould. Those are handy to experiment with various bullet lengths, altho you will find that the longer or shorter you make the bullet the base length will change. Sometimes it matters sometimes it don't.
One thing you might think about on your CPA, is to take the barrel off, wrap the threads with 1 or 2 wraps of teflon tape, then put the barrel back into the action. Apply a small drop of blue loctite to the set screw and tighten it to 45 inch pounds.Check the set screw after every relay. Those set screws tend to loosen up with the heavy recoil and give you a bunch of vertical that will make you scratch your head..

IP Logged

silver

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2024 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
As to boar pigs I use the ones from BACO in 40 and 45 cal.
With wet patch behind but I shoot greasers at this time.
I know pp guys have to have bore and chamber DRY

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I haven't shot a lot of paper patch but have been around guys that have shot paper patch and shot it well at Lodi. Lodi Wisconsin has more paper patch shooters than anywhere in the country. Sitting around after a match and listening to the discussions, they all agreed on one big ingredient for shooting paper patch, a snug fitting bullet. They all said that the looser the fit of the bullet in the barrel, would cause a decrease in accuracy. They wanted the bullet to be a snug fit in the barrel but not a tight fit where you might tear the patch. Most of them said to pick your paper first, and then have a custom bullet mold made that would allow you to patch the paper to the bullet and then have it be a snug fit in the barrel. Best accuracy also came with the bullet seated about 1/10 of an inch into the case. Some used fiber wads but it seemed like a majority used 060" polywads. They just wanted enough neck tension to hold the bullet in the case.
Your bore diameter seems to be an odd size so I would buy a couple pin gauges just to make sure about your bore size. Then pick a paper that is about a .001 to .0015 an inch in thickness. Thicker paper doesn't seem to do as well . You can wrap it around a measuered drill bit and see how much it will add to the size of the drill bit. You will want two wraps around the drill bit so that your patches just butt up but do not overlap. Some wrap dry and some wrap wet but none seem to be able to agree on which method is more accurate. Once you have your paper picked out, then have a good mold maker make you a bullet mold that will cast a bullet in diameter that with the addition of the paper, will just match bore diameter. The good shooters tried to find paper with some cotton content added to it, although some said that the Seth Cole wood fiber paper worked just fine. The guy I listened to most is no longer with us but his name was Jim Kuskens and he and guys like Brent Danielson and Arnie Seitz had their ducks in a row and their experience was top-notch. Another very experienced paper patch shooter is Kurt Altenberg and he hangs around here and goes by the name of Leadpot.  My shooting partner is a die-hard paper patch shooter as well and he offered a lot of good information on our 12-hour trips to Forsyth. After wrapping his bullets wet and letting them dry, he pushed them through a custom-made sizer die that was right at bore diameter or slightly larger. He shot some very good scores as well with paper patch at Lodi.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2024 at 1:40pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Since you already have a mould that casts a 0.442” bullet, and paper that others have used with success, I would advise casting some 16:1 alloy bullets and patching them with two wraps of the paper.  The width of the paper should reach the start of the bullet ogive, with enough to fold around the base leaving maybe 50% of the lead exposed in the center.

Take one of them and see if you can push it through the bore with a stiff cleaning rod.  It should go through the bore with a slight feeling of smooth, sort of “hydraulic,” resistance, and you should see marks from the tops of the rifling lands on the paper.  If so, you should be good to go.

The dual diameter concept came out of the perceived need to fire paper-patched bullets in rifle chambers cut for grease groove bullets.  With the case fireformed in the chamber, a straight sided bore diameter patched bullet falls out of the case mouth as easily as it goes in.  The dual diameter bullet is a tight enough fit in the case to allow it to be inserted by hand without falling out again with normal handling.  Plus, of course, it’s already groove diameter down there, so any obturation problems will be at least partially taken care of.

On the other hand, a straight-sided patched bullet of the proper diameter needs only a slight reduction of the case mouth to be held as securely as the dual diameter design.  I accomplish this with a homemade mouth-reducing die, but it can also be done by taking the innards out of your FLS die and judiciously running the cartridge in until the case grips the bullet.  (I haven’t found that those necksizing-only dies work well for this; usually about 25% of the bullets are still too loose in the cases.)  if you use real black powder, your straight sided bullets will have no trouble obturating to the bottoms of the grooves on firing.

I have to admit that when I get a new gun, I simply load some standard rounds of the sort recommended in handbooks or other trusted sources, and go see how it shoots.  If there’s a problem, then maybe it’s time to measure and check everything.  But generally, modern rifles (including replicas) are built to very high standards of precision and reproducibility.  I’m amazed at the number of posts I see on shooting sites where a new rifle or mould results in a flurry of measurements and experiments that only serve to “prove” the thing can’t possibly work without a lot of extra effort and expense before even one shot is fired. That way madness lies!  Grin

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I am using PPB's for hunting so my cartridges need to be able to stand a little handling and not fall apart. I seat bullets about 0.300" into the case and use a taper crimp die. I use duplex charges, a lube wad and lube the paper on the bullet with a smear rubbed on between my fingers. I normally load a wax paper disc then a card disc on top of the lube wad to prevent the lube wad from sticking in the hollow base of the bullet. Doing this I find all wads lying on the ground within 5 yards of the muzzle so I know the lube is not sticking and dropping off at differing distances (or not) during flight changing the flight characteristics for each shot.

FWIW: I still handle them very carefully!

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Quote ][Since you already have a mould that casts a 0.442” bullet, and paper tlhat others have used with success, I would advise casting some 16:1 alloy bullets and patching them with two wraps of the paper.  The width of the paper should reach the start of the bullet ogive, with enough to fold around the base leaving maybe 50% of the lead exposed in the center]

Bent Ramrod, don't you think a .442" bullet is way too small for his bore diameter?

IP Logged

Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for all the advice! That's a whole lot to digest and think about. 

I have a 0.450 minus pin gauge and that slid down the bore slowly and gently. I think air pressure was slowing it down. So it can't be that much bigger than that. My slugs keeps coming back at just around 0.452. I ordered pin gauges up to 0.453 so we'll see where it stops. thanks for that idea!

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I never measured the bore on the first .45-70 I had success with in paper patching.  The first two paper-patch moulds I found were a Hoch 500 gr of 0.444" diameter and a Steve Brooks 540 gr of 0.441" diameter.

I cast and patched a bunch of these, checked the fit of the patched bullets in the muzzle of the rifle, and went on from there.  They didn't stick, or fall through without resistance, so I figured that was good for starters.  Later I reread Elmer Keith's instructions and pushed the things through from the breech and got the same results he got, so I guessed I was on the right track.

The Brooks bullet shot very well; the Hoch, despite the tighter fit, has never done as well.  I also had success with a Red River Rick mould of nominal 0.442" and eventually lapped out another Brooks mould (of nominal diameter 0.441+") to 0.443". This last is the one I use more than the others now, but I haven't seen any consistent accuracy differences that I can assign to diameters one to the other.  The RRR bullet shoots very well, but casting is more complicated because it's a hollow base adjustable, and more finicky to cast with.  The 0.443" also needs a little less of a squeeze with the mouth reducer, so that is the one I generally reach for first now.  Also, of course, once I put extra effort into something, I tend to use it more.  Just me, I guess.

But the point I was trying to make is that there is going to be enough cut-and-try experimenting (except for the fortunate few), regardless of book learning or advice on what is supposed to work best.  The OP himself posted because the plethora of "Thou Shalts" and "Thou Shalt Nots" understandably confused him as to which draconian requirements are more important than all the other (sometimes conflicting) absolute must-dos.  Having a point to start from beats any amount of preliminary measuring and figuring that might mean anything or nothing by the time the gun is loaded and fired.  Casting and patching a bullet that one already has the ability to make and seeing whether it actually rattles down that oversized bore or slides like it should (regardless of the measurements) would be a more definitive indication of whether the setup is likely to work than generating a bunch of numbers that may or may not be applicable, but do indicate (according to the authorities) that one needs to buy a whole bunch of extra stuff before a shot can be fired.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Obi2Winky wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 4:22pm:
Thank you all for all the advice! That's a whole lot to digest and think about. 

I have a 0.450 minus pin gauge and that slid down the bore slowly and gently. I think air pressure was slowing it down. So it can't be that much bigger than that. My slugs keeps coming back at just around 0.452. I ordered pin gauges up to 0.453 so we'll see where it stops. thanks for that idea!

just out of curiosity have you loaded and fired  your rifle with a grease groove bulle? if so which bullet and how many lube grooves exposed to get the driving band to the throat?

IP Logged

Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
This gun has never been fire before. So I don't even have once fired brass! 
45-90 is not something I could get at my local Cabelas so I started researching how to make one and after many rabbit holes, I have arrived here  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Okydoky then there's a long way to go and not much time to get there if you're looking to go to the Creedmoor 150.
So maybe start with this mould. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
When you place the order have them throw in some .060 wads, either fiber or the ldpe.
Hopefully you've got dies already, and a chamfer tool for the insdide of the case mouth. After you get the blocks and cast some from 16-1 alloy and get them wrapped, if the expander die expands the cases to much to give you a bit of neck tension, then take a measurement of your patched bullet and get a custom expander die about .002 over that diameter.
Then start testing loads as best you can, followed with excellent fouling control routine. Bore pigs of some kind are the best bet. I like the Bore Wipe system from BACO, it's expensive to set up but it sure works.If you start with 1 or 2 kits and a package of 250 felts you'll be good to go.
Then hopefully you can catch some matches like the Read PA, maybe if they're still running the midrange matches in New Jersey, and the long range matches at Lodi Ws.
Your .442 bullet will likely work for some things, but it's more likely to leave you in a lurch looking for the 10 ring on targets beyond 600.
1 1/2 f powder likely be your best bet, but 1f can also work well. 2f will work but the recoil factor will go up .

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
The other option might be get one of the 535 gr money bullet grease groove bullets, some top notch bullett lube like Bullshop NASA or SPG and get a handle on load development and the mystics of match shooting.

IP Logged

Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Ranch13 wrote on Mar 29th, 2024 at 11:41pm:
Okydoky then there's a long way to go and not much time to get there if you're looking to go to the Creedmoor 150.
So maybe start with this mould. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
When you place the order have them throw in some .060 wads, either fiber or the ldpe.
Hopefully you've got dies already, and a chamfer tool for the insdide of the case mouth. After you get the blocks and cast some from 16-1 alloy and get them wrapped, if the expander die expands the cases to much to give you a bit of neck tension, then take a measurement of your patched bullet and get a custom expander die about .002 over that diameter.
Then start testing loads as best you can, followed with excellent fouling control routine. Bore pigs of some kind are the best bet. I like the Bore Wipe system from BACO, it's expensive to set up but it sure works.If you start with 1 or 2 kits and a package of 250 felts you'll be good to go.
Then hopefully you can catch some matches like the Read PA, maybe if they're still running the midrange matches in New Jersey, and the long range matches at Lodi Ws.
Your .442 bullet will likely work for some things, but it's more likely to leave you in a lurch looking for the 10 ring on targets beyond 600.
1 1/2 f powder likely be your best bet, but 1f can also work well. 2f will work but the recoil factor will go up .

I don't have dies yet. But in my shopping cart,  I have the Lyman Classic rifle set for 45-90, expander body and compression plug. Once I get a more accurate bore measurement, that'll decide my final patched bullet diameter, which will determine the expansion plug. 

Fortunately I have a lot of Swiss 1/5 F!

As for bullet moulds, I spoke to Steve from Brooks today and he said he could get one made in not much time once I decide on a design. So there's hope

Now I know where the tax return money will go  Grin
BACo seems to be out of a lot of things. No 45 cal bore wipe kit, and no 45-100 brass to trim down to my chamber. But I do have 45-90 so that'll have to do.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Well good luck and have fun with it
Target rifle is a fun and challenging game to play
Keep us posted on your progress

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I second the idea perhaps it would be good to get a handle on the rifle and cartridge with GGB's and work up to PPB's as time goes along.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Just to be clear. I haven't fired grease groove bullets in competition for over a decade, prefer to use patched.
My thoughts on suggesting the money bullet was only intended as an expedient manner for him to get prepared to attend a big match, a not very long time from now.

IP Logged

Obi2Winky
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
I'm definitely not opposed to going GG, especially if I'm going to have to get a new mould. But then I would have to also die a luibrisizer which I don't have.

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Mar 30th, 2024 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Probably wouldn't need to size the bullets from one of the BACO moulds. Just pan lube them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint