Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Barrel break in (Read 878 times)
jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Barrel break in
Mar 17th, 2024 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Am about to shoot my re barreled Hepburn in 30-40 Rem for the first time and I know it has probably been discussed (just couldn't find it) before but what is a good break in procedure?

JMH

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Barrel break in
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I use BROWNELLS - JB BORE BRIGHT POLISH COMPOUND in the red container - not the cleaning compound.

The newly machined barrel can have small metal burrs that you do not want the first bullets tearing off.

Best to use the JB Bore Bright Polish to clean the barrel well before firing bullets down the tube.

I do 50 to 100 passes with a patch saturated with the polish.

I then shoot a bullet and then clean the barrel between each of the first 5 shots.

First a pass of JB Polish and then clean the residuals out with a good lead remover such as Hoppe's #9.

I shoot the next 6 to 106 bullets where I clean the barrel again between every 5 shots.

A tedious procedure but a properly broken in barrel has less distance between the first bullet fired from a clean barrel and the second bullet fired down a dirty barrel afterwards.

Polishing and smoothing of the machined lands provides a more continous surface that will not snag and lead the barrel as easily.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2024 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I've used several techniques & found the best & fastest method is the following from Lee Shaver.
==============
Excerpt from “Breaking in a Barrel” by Lee Shaver:
     Several years ago, I developed a process for breaking-in barrels for lead bullet use that eliminated the afternoon of shooting and cleaning with jacketed bullet.  It began because I would occasionally have to get bad leading out of a barrel for a customer, and when you charge what a gunsmith must charge to stay in business you don’t want to spend an afternoon scrubbing the lead out of a customer’s gun.   
     What I learned was that when scrubbing lead out of a barrel, I could run a tight oily patch through a few times and then take the patch off the jag.  I would then unroll a little 0000 steel wool and cut a piece the size of the patch.  Place that over the patch and then run it all through together.  (The proper fit is when you have to bump the rod a few times with the palm of your hand to get it started in the bore.)  When you shove that steel wool over a patch through the bore of a badly leaded barrel, it may sound like paper tearing as the lead is ripped out of the barrel in a pass or two.  I can clean the lead out of the worst barrel in about ten or fifteen minutes that way, and an average leaded barrel will be clean in a few strokes.
     After using this technique for a while, I began to notice that the rifles that I was de-leading that way seemed to lead less afterwards, which got me to thinking.  We use fine steel wool on the outside of old guns all the time to do some cleaning or spot rust removal, and it does not damage the surface of the steel.  It just scrubs it.  Which lead me to consider the fact that we are trying to break in a barrel by smoothing the surface without cutting, and it seems to me that process would go much quicker if we used something on the inside of the bore that was closer to the hardness of the barrel instead of lead or copper.  So, I started trying the steel wool and oiled patch technique on new barrels before shooting them.  I use it about as tight as I can get in the bore and wear out a steel wool pad or two in about 15 minutes, then I go and shoot the rifle.
     How well does it work you might ask?  On a few occasions, I have built a new rifle and taken it to a match without ever having fired the rifle.  All have performed flawlessly in their first match and several times I won the match or set a record with them.
Lee

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2024 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
It is a ritual that make people happy. Do it if it makes you feel good.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2024 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
By the time I shoot several types of bullets and various types of powders and different powder charges and bullet alloys and subsequent cleanings and breech seating depths trips back and forth to the range and setting up etc etc and finally have a new barrel shooting good enough for match shooting, I am the one that is broken in, not the barrel.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 1:59am
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Mar 20th, 2024 at 11:44pm:
It is a ritual that make people happy. Do it if it makes you feel good.

I agree. Shot my very first 250, 200 yard target (during practice) with less than 20 bullets down the barrel, with no cleaning in between. This was with a 33-47 chambered Douglas barrel. 

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2024 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Mike Rock used to recommend nothing but JB bore paste and paper patches cut from blue shop towels....

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2024 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Barrel brake in, make sure the bore is clean and start shooting. 
Many years ago we had some trouble with a 50 BMG and solid brass bullets leaving brass the last 8" of the bore. We started spraying Teflon on the bullets and scrubbed the bore with the same stuff. No more fouling and gained 100 fps.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. So I was finally able to call and talk with BRC and he said no prep required and just shoot it. So it's his barrel and I guess he would know so I am going to do just that and see what happens. But I have the info to use if I need to.

JMH

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2024 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I was watching a YouTube video where they guy was interviewing a top long range shooter and he said he never did barrel break-ins.  When asked why he said he found no difference and when the shooter asked the barrel manufacturer about the instructions they provide, they said no break-in required, buy people kept asking for a procedure so they included one just to shut them up.

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 6:44am
Print Post  
I wonder how much it matters whether the barrel has been cut rifled or button rifled?  Ernie Stallman of Badger barrels recommended the jacketed bullet break-in procedure for his barrels and said that they would break it in quicker than shooting with lead. He said if you didn't do that, it would take about 500 rounds before his barrels were broken in.  Badger barrels were cut rifled

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 8:22am
Print Post  
I have had a couple rifle builds with Badgers and I did the jacketed bullet break ins. Don't know if it helped or not but as you said it was his instructions that came with the barrel when purchased. Sure wish you could still get them.

JMH

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 25th, 2024 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
I think the point of a "break-in" is to get the barrel burnished to a point copper or lead is no lomger being embedded in the surface of the lands and grooves. Obviously a cut barrel will be rougher and require more to get it smooth than a buttoned one. A PhD engineer I once worked for used to say when we cut steel it is really "ripping" it on a microscopic scale, some techniques will leave a better finish than others but no surface is truly smooth. The thing to prevent is getting too much fouling with layers of carbon and gilding metal between cleanings as the barrel "wears in". In fact, fouling will prevent the steel surface of the bore from being burnished so the barrel will never be "broken-in".

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint