Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Opened one out of 12 totes of old ammo (Read 935 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Opened one out of 12 totes of old ammo
Mar 17th, 2024 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Opened one of the 12 boxes full of old ammo from the lot I bought a few weeks ago.  I think this must be one of the better boxes, although several are like this.  Some have more mundane, more modern in them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rifleman

Re: Opened one out of 12 totes of old ammo
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Holy crap

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Instant collection !

IP Logged

Antonio
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2024 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
You lucky guy!

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 1:43am
Print Post  
i especially like the box for the 50 shot cartridges for the Winchester Model 1873.

Never seen that one.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 5:33am
Print Post  
There's some real good stuff there. Just had our annual Australian Cartridge Collectors swap meet & auction last weekend and the boys here would kill for some of those WRA Co, & UMC boxes!! Can't wait to see what other goodies are in those other ammo crates. Enjoy!
Spud

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Spud wrote on Mar 19th, 2024 at 5:33am:
There's some real good stuff there. Just had our annual Australian Cartridge Collectors swap meet & auction last weekend and the boys here would kill for some of those WRA Co, & UMC boxes!! Can't wait to see what other goodies are in those other ammo crates. Enjoy!
Spud

Wish there was an easy, magical way to just connect those that want with those that have.  I'm no collector, these are of essentially of no interest to me, other than a few that I picked out for myself.  However, I do know the value of them, so not just going to dump them or donate them to a low ball buyer.  That just makes it inconvenient to own them.  But, I got some things I really wanted by buying the entire truckload of mixed gun stuff from this estate.  And, the boxes are mostly full of the correct cartridges.  About 1/4 of them are unopened.  If I remember correctly there were 130 boxes of ammo, about 80 of which are highly collectible.  I literally saw these for about 5 minutes or less during the buy/not buy decision time at the time of sale, I just did a quick count, multiplied by my guess at value, and determined it was worth buying the estate.  Now, I have to figure out a strategy and pass them on to someone who appreciates them.  I do feel an obligation to do that.  Although it is very tempting to shoot some of them.   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Cartridge Collectors show was this last weekend at Castle Rock, Wa. There would have been a feeding frenzy there!

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 19th, 2024 at 11:01am:
Cartridge Collectors show was this last weekend at Castle Rock, Wa. There would have been a feeding frenzy there!

I may do something like that eventually.  I don't have the time at the moment, I'm going to have to take another 3 weeks to clean up my dads estate.  For now, I'm going to try to make enough space to lay everything out, separate the modern and low value stuff to dispose of as shooter ammo.  Then, pack the valuable stuff back up so it won't deteriorate, and deal with it when I get a chance.  I'll probably just take pictures of the good stuff, and sell as a lot to one of the dealers.   

However, it may turn out like the colt single action parts from this lot.

I didn't want to deal with them.  I offered them to 5 of the biggest dealers in the US as a lot for $4000.  Just counted cylinders, barrels, grip sets, and described the small parts and sent some pictures.  None would take a chance on them.  Two tried to low ball me, said only a couple of the parts were worth anything, and they'd take those off my hands for $50 each if I threw in the rest.  Two wanted a detailed inventory.  One was pleasant and professional to deal with, but wanted a bit better pictures to see what he was getting.  He pointed out that the two parts the lowballers had tried to get were quite rare and desirable.   

I'm relatively competent at selling gun parts.  If I have to do a full inventory, I can, and will.  So, I set out all the parts, sorted them, and skimmed off $4800 of higher grade parts from the lot.  Then took 65 detailed pictures of the remainder, sent them to the polite professional dealer and sold the lot for $3000.  I'm slowly selling the high grade parts, and have been getting more than expected for them, so will probably exceed the $4800 I projected.

I'd do the same with this lot; I'd sell all for $25 per box, take them all and pay whatever quantity is in the unsorted cans.  There's about 120+ boxes.  There's some $10 ammo there, and some $150 a box stuff.  If I have to sort it, I'll sell the mundane for $10 to $20 each, and get $150 for the stuff that's worth that.  It will just take me time and effort.   

I've made more on the Colt stuff alone than I expected to from the whole lot already!  And, still have the Winchester parts, which are potentially more valuable than the Colt.  That's another sorting exercise.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I had a bunch of Colt SAA screws, and small parts I bought as a lot from a local gunsmith's estate last year. I put together sets of all the screws and offered them at $20 a set. I think I had enough to do 20 sets, plus a bunch of other misc. small parts. I sold maybe two sets, and took the rest to the CGCA show last May. 
I had a friend come over to say hello and he told me the guy next to his table rebuilt SAA revolvers, and he was going to send him over. The guys came over and looked at everything, and we made a deal for all of it. Probably got maybe 20-25% of what they were worth, but I was done and made money on them, so glad to get them sold and be out of the SAA parts.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2024 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
What's disheartening and that I dislike about the gun show and gun trader culture is the number of guys out there just trying to take advantage of someone who knows less than they do.  The good thing is I now know 2 colt dealers to never do business with!   

The guy I bought this lot from was unbelievably glad to sell to me as one lot, at his price, after sitting at a gun show for a day and a half and dealing with those type of guys!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2024 at 10:02am
Print Post  
That's pretty typical of gun shows in general when dealing with guys who also have tables there. But the general public isn't usually made up of guys like that. 
The issue with the single person at a gun show walking through is they likely wont buy in quantity, and it sounds like that's why he sold to you. Can't ever expect to find many buyers willing to pay a fair price and buy everything, unless you keep your profit low enough for somebody else to feel they can tie up their money as they gradually sell it off.
Anytime I've sold ammo it's been a lot of work for not much profit. Hauling it in and out of shows, and trying to keep tire kickers from destroying boxes as they constantly want to see inside, and then don't buy. 
I bought a whole room full of ammo last fall and sold it all at one OAC Sunday show. But I had 12 ga. shells at $3 a box, and pistol ammo at $7 a box, and rifle at $10 a box. It all went away fast, as I priced it cheap enough to make sure I only hauled it in, and not back home! I didn't even bring all the shotgun boxes in. Just enough to show a sampling, with a note on the table saying I had over 200 more boxes outside. One guy saw the note and bought all 200 boxes, plus what I had on the table.
I hate selling ammo, unless it's just a small amount and collectable.

IP Logged

Snuffy
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I have been collecting old ammo boxes for several years one at a time and you have an entire collection instantly.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2024 at 1:30am
Print Post  
I think I'm going to take all the big Winchester and Sharps calibers and the .45-70 to Quigley and put them out on a table.  Will make for some interesting interactions and conversations, if not some sales.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint