Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Belding and Mull measure drop tubes (Read 1260 times)
JHand
Participating Member

Re: Belding and Mull measure drop tubes
Reply #15 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:38am:
I have a brass tube B&M measure and used to use it a lot, but my Harrell's is all I use also. A couple years ago a friend stumbled across a plastic hopper B&M brand new in it's original box and offered it to me cheap, so I had to buy it. It just sits on a shelf looking pretty.

I am just getting into the sport and will be using my belding and mull to start. Does the Barrels just give you more precise adjustments?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
JHand wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 1:12pm:

I am just getting into the sport and will be using my belding and mull to start. Does the Barrels just give you more precise adjustments?

Do you mean "Harrells" vs. Barrels? If so I went to the Harrells because a few friends raved about theirs, and I found one cheap at an estate sale missing the hopper. Since hoppers are dirt cheap I ordered 5 of them from a medical supply company and started using it. 
The click adjustments make it very repeatable, and so much so that I can ask a friend his setting for a particular powder and charge, and dial in the same number of clicks and mine is right there. I keep different powders in their sealed hopper bottles, and have charges written on the side. Just screw them on the measure and dial in the clicks and it's ready to go again. Makes changing powders and charges super quick.
And it is the most accurate measure I've used. Drawback is they're spendy. I could have bought two at the sale for $50 each, and left one like an idiot!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #17 - Apr 30th, 2024 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Wow, Vall!  You could have paid that $100 for just one and still been pretty well off.  Getting 2 for that C note would have required a mask and gun around here!
I’ve got a Culver style rotor in an old Ideal #5 body, as close as as I can afford to a Harrell on fixed income! Wink
Froggie

IP Logged

Bill616
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2024 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
For many years these have been the standard for loading black powder cartridges for silhouette matches.  I recently tried mine for loading H-4350 and was surprised at how consistent and accurate it was.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2024 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh,
I got talked into buying the V4 trickler from MacDonald Innovations the A&D fx scale that interfaces with it, it's linked with an app on my phone so what you are talking about... it's there. Grin   
I have half a dozen B&M/Lyman/Harrell's measures and they're dust collectors now, so a brief warning - don't get sucked into this abyss, you'll be ruined with it's speed and accuracy, mostly the latter.
GT

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint