Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what to do with quantity of obsolete rimfire ammo (Read 976 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

what to do with quantity of obsolete rimfire ammo
Feb 18th, 2024 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I bought out a huge inventory from a 70 year old gun shop/collection.  I ended up with a few hundred boxes of new ammo from 80 to 120 years ago.  Stuff I haven't seen in years, like new sealed boxes of 25 rimfire from the early 1900's.  Every big winchester cartridge from the blackpowder era.  Lots of .32 rimfire.  25-20 SS.  .22 singleshot centerfire (.22 wcf).   

One of the items was a cigar box full of loose rimfire.  .32, .38, .44, .44 henry, etc.  These individual pieces have a sharpied identification on most of them on the case side.

How best to get these into their permanent homes?  I'm tempted to shoot some of them, there was a fair amount of 25 stevens, that I sorted out.   

Previous owner was selling individually at $5 apiece, for collections.  I definitely don't have that kind of patience.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Re: what to do with quantity of obsolete rimfire ammo
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Collect all the same  calibers into one lot and ebay or gun broker them .   or make up a price and put them on the forum.  should be a market for .32 rf, don't know about the others.  If he had too many, maybe $5 was too high.   

and that's worth $.02

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2024 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
A point of interest and caution on these old rimfire cartridges.  I’ve had a few 38’s laying in my shop for a few years now.  A couple months ago a friend and I were looking at them, he handed one back to me and I dropped it right between the two of us.  Something I never would have believed would happen….did.  When it hit the floor it went off.  Found the lead on the floor under a machine but did not find the case….but there is a hole in the ceiling I don’t remember being there.  I’m reading the book ammunition demystified and seems he said something about some of this old power being more sensitive with age.  
Shoot them, collect them or do whatever, just handle them carefully.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 5:13am
Print Post  
How do most collectors display/protect individual specimens? Perhaps a displayable packaging could help move them. I don't collect so all the odd things I have picked up over the years are in small boxes/bags/drawers.....

I have probably 30-40 original once fired casings the the 338-416 Rigby that was commercialized as the 338 Lapua. These came from military loadings used in the RAI sniper rifles used by some SOF units in the early 1980's. They lack a headstamp in were in plain white boxes. Upon firing the bolt was often impossible to open without a plastic mallet. I was told by inside sources that the problem was the cases were too soft, the bullets 0.001 oversize and the action (RAI 300) a bit springy. I used some of these to reload for a Rem 700 chambered for 338 using the load recommended by RAI and noticed the case was being extruded back into the ejector pin hole of the bolt face.... I heard the cases were made by Bell but I have not seen any proof of that.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Someone is sure to want certain calibers, sealed boxes particularly. 

Selling them on line may be difficult. eBay won’t list. If you use one of the gun sites shipping very difficult for individuals. Lot of hoops to jump through first.

BobW’s experience is worth noting. Personally I would only handle the bulk packed very corroded cartridges individually. Single discharge dangerous. One setting off the box very dangerous 

Boats

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Wards collectibles in Dallas Oregon has the patience to auction individual cartridges and seems to have a large following   

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 9:39am
Print Post  
If you want to sell a bunch of it, and don't mind taking a drive to Castle Rock, Wa. to the Cartridge Collectors show March 16-17 next month, you could get a table there and likely move all of the old ammo over the weekend.
Sat. is vendors only, and Sun. is open to the public. Tom Quigley puts the show together every year at the school gym, and I can give you contact info if you're interested.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Thanks, Vall,

I hate sitting at gun show tables trying to sell stuff and trying to keep idiots from ruining the merchandise by doing stuff like opening sealed boxes to see what's inside.  But, that might be a good way to go.  Plus, I don't have the patience to listen to every old guy that comes over and tells me the story of his entire collection, thinking I'm interested because I have some of that kind of stuff for sale.

Only problem with putting it all out at a show is I'd have absolutely no good way to price what I have; it's going to take some research to figure it all out and determine what's worth what.  Otherwise, would be a shark feeding where all the vendors come over and buy my good stuff for 1/5 of what they put it out for, and leave me with the dogs that I overpriced.  At least when I sell one item at a time I don't put it up for sale until I research it, and I learn as I go by selling stuff in a selective order.

For now, all the cartridge stuff is sitting in about 30 ammo boxes in my shop; I made my way through all the miscellaneous gun parts last night, and started in on the huge lot of colt single action parts.  After I get those figured out, the harder winchester lever parts come next.  Only a few single shot parts in this lot, got a few 922 H&A, one favorite, a nice #2 rolling block, a rolling block sporter tang, a #6 remington, a couple period scopes, and the trapdoor and high wall barrels in the classifieds out of it.  Haven't gone through the barrels yet, did pull out a couple new liners and there's a few that might be good.

These all combined estate lots are an interesting challenge to sort through.  Every rusted and broken gun part from a 60 or 70 year period mixed together with rare and hard to get parts and rotted pieces of paper, even discarded candy bar and sandwich wrappers.  Barrel bands, cut off barrel ends, sights, safeties from military rifle conversions.  About 50 double barrel, pistol, pump shotgun and old lever gun receivers stripped all or partly, some burned or rusty.   All together in tubs.  Will have to take the steel scrap bucket to the recycling this week.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Typically cartridge collectors buy very low and sell high, so at the cartridge show I see insane prices that I often wonder who buys at those prices?
I've not setup there, but have taken ammo to sell, and guys usually want singles like you have vs. boxes of ammo. When I had boxes of old ammo guys wanted me to break them up and sell them as singles, but what they offered vs. what they were selling for was about 5% of sticker prices on their tables.
I guess it depends on how fast you want to sell it, and how much effort you put into researching prices and pricing it all up.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2024 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
With a experienced  dealer you trust, having him sell at shows good option. Caution is how much it cost to sell and do you get paid.

Have had good and bad results both 

Boats

IP Logged

elfego baca
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 2:20am
Print Post  
My definition of obsolete differs somewhat.
A  couple of years ago I purchased 8 bricks of 22lr ammo.  I paid $200 and it came with a 50 caliber ammo can. What a,'steel' of a deal.  There were two different loads of the Remington Target ammo. Some were slightly corroded.   
Some of of the boxes were labeled range 1 mile and had a velocity of
11xx ft/sec(?).  The 2nd batch was labeled the same except it had a velocity of 1150 ft/sec. and a range of 1 1/2 miles.
About 70 or so years ago the 22 ammo I shot was labeled 1 mile.

IP Logged

Oldbee

Reply #11 - Mar 7th, 2024 at 7:24am
Print Post  
I will bet Steve Blancard would be interested in them.

Seabee's, Danang, Chu Lai, Khe Sanh, 1966 -1968

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint