Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Thicker Sprue Plate (Read 851 times)
hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Thicker Sprue Plate
Jan 27th, 2024 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Has anyone had good results from using thicker sprue plates, meaning more consistent bullet weights and possibly no internal voids?

I read an article by Gary Riecke, which I believe was in a SS Exchange mag where he tried a sprue plate 3/8" thick and which was scalloped deeply to contain a much large pool of molten lead. Here he found he could get very consistent bullet weights and virtually no internal voids. The idea being a thicker sprue plate that retains more heat and a large pool of molten lead that won't cool and solidify as fast as a smaller pool.

I am thinking of making up some 1/4" thick sprue plates, one without being scalloped, and one scalloped. My PJ/Saeco sprue plates have the pivot screw very close to the tapered sprue hole and not sure I can use a plate thicker than 1/4" (the tapered sprue hole will run under this screw's head if the plate is thicker). I am hoping the thicker plate, not being scalloped very deeply (maybe just 80 mils), but retaining about 0.200" of steel over the top of the mold, will retain heat better, and allow a much deeper pool of molten lead, than the current 0.178" thick plate. I will also do away with the integral thumb portion of the sprue plate and just use a pin-stud to help rotate the sprue with a gloved hand (Less steel to cool off between casts and/or cause uneven heating/cooling). 

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Thicker Sprue Plate
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
A guy named Bob Roller used to make aftermarket thick sprue plates for Lyman single cavity moulds.  Can't remember the exact thickness but it looked to be about twice that of the stock offering.

I tried one on an Ideal mould that wouldn't fill the base out satisfactorily and found it worked very nicely.  I wouldn't just replace every sprue plate with a thick one on general principle, but in the instances where the mould is balky, it's a good, nondestructive thing to try.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Pouring a heavy amount of lead over the sprue plate hole forces the lead into the mold to fully fill the mold and helps drive out the air pockets.

A thicker sprue plate being heavier can seal the top so that air is trapped and the mold will not completely fill even with the heavier lead puddle  driving the lead into the mold.
This results in rounded base edges instead of sharp square ones which are more accurate.

The solution is not a heavier sprue plate but rubbing the top edge slightly with a stone to create an air drain channel on the top of the mold.

Only rub it slightly - if you do it tooo much you will end up with whiskers on either side of the base - still no problem if you size your bullets.

A scalloped mold is a bit less messy to use but I have no problem getting a large enough puddle of lead on top of a flat sprue plate. 

I do prefer a heavier  sprue plate since it holds the temperature better between bullet castings.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
I have seen posts in the way past on the Cast Bullet site where a person that goes by the name Gussy was producing sprue plates that were 1/4" thick and people were saying they were getting very good casting results with these.

Anyone know if Gussy is still producing these and how he can be contacted?

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
hepburnman wrote on Jan 28th, 2024 at 2:16pm:
I have seen posts in the way past on the Cast Bullet site where a person that goes by the name Gussy was producing sprue plates that were 1/4" thick and people were saying they were getting very good casting results with these.

Anyone know if Gussy is still producing these and how he can be contacted?

Jim is local to me and I don't belive he is making anything for sale any longer. 
I've had good luck with thick sprue plates.The Eagan plates were thick and heavy and could be run with a loose pivot and the weight kept them flat.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2024 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I have found that Bob Gemmell was also making thicker sprue plates. 

Anyone know if he is still making them and how to contact him?

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Here's the link to the Gary Riecke article where he tests a 3/8" thick sprue plate that is also scalloped to hold more molten lead:   
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Sure would like to know of someone that could make these up.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Didn't Lyman offer a thicker plate replacement?

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
To this end, if a guy made himself a new thick steel sprue plate would he be smart to harden it (given the use of hardenable tool steel) and surface grind it dead flat, or just use cold rolled steel and call it a day?

Would use of a coarse surface grinding wheel create enough venting or would a fella be well advised to do some hand lapping on a coarser surface as the final step?

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
This is what we did in the late 1980's which really worked well except it lengthened the cycle time. Basically it is to provide a riser with fixed head pressure. That is a stainless insert into the original sprue plate on a Ron Long 32-40 mold.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

BudHyett

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
This is from a limited sample shooting a Remington Rolling Block in .38-55. Thicker sprue plates are far better. 

RCBS started before the turn of the century to sell their molds with thicker sprue plates and the bullet bases became fuller and flatter. I had a RCBS 37-250-FN mold converted to plain base by machining out the gas check ridge. 

Noticing this change, interchanged the thicker sprue plates with a thinner ones. The bullets with the thinner sprue plates had more rounded bases. The weight variation was the same, but the rounded base bullets were lighter.

The targets showed better grouping, rounder, smaller, and fewer fliers outside the main group where all bullets were touching. 

The LBT mold sprue plates have a trough that holds the molten alloy directly over the center. Their molds are easier to use and produce flatter bases. 

NOE molds have thicker sprue plates producing better bases. 

I'm currently using Schauf molds, they have thicker sprue plates producing better bases.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Just to provide some info for thoughts on what metals might make the best sprue plates - 316 S.S. and Bronze have the lowest thermal conduction rates (~15 BTUs/hr-ft-degF), with mild steel ~26, and aluminum at ~111 (I'm only mentioning practical metals here).

From this info, S.S. and mild steel may be better suited for a sprue plate as, while these would take longer to heat up, they would also cool off the slowest, and thus retaining their heat for better bullet fill-out and consistency from cast to cast.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2024 at 8:00am
Print Post  
I just got a reply from KAL Tool & Die and Rick there said the thickest he can go on sprue plates is 1/4".

I asked him if he can make plates for Saeco (PJ) molds and that I'd like to order 2 of them.

I'll let you all know how this goes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint