Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Harvey Donaldson and Flat Nose Bullets (Read 482 times)
KaiserKong
Participating Member

Harvey Donaldson and Flat Nose Bullets
Feb 6th, 2024 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

After reading the articles in the recent ASSRA Journal base the late Harvey Donaldson I started digging around for other articles he had written. I came across this one from Handloader magazine and had a question regarding Mr. Donaldson's opinion on bullet shape. 

The article starts with

"July 14, 1966
I have read the very comprehensive article by Ken Waters on handloading for the 30-30 case. Ken has done a fine job in preparing his material. I believe my old friend Townsend Whelen would have enjoyed reading this article.

I feel certain that there are many of the old-timers in this shooting game who will agree with what Ken has written. I fully believe if he had tried the Lyman gas-check bullet No. 31141 cast one to fifteen, and sized down to .311 inch, he might have made tighter groups. My own experience in shooting several rifles in .308 caliber recently has led me to believe that this particular 175-grain 31141 bullet will give far better accuracy than any other bullet in this caliber that have tried. If shooters will go to the trouble to check over bullets No. 311291 in round point and No. 311375 in spitzer point, I believe they will agree that the bullet that I am using (No. 31141) is a lot better balanced. You might check with the No. 43 Edition of the Lyman Handbook.

You may note that this flat-nose bullet is much like the 32-40 bullet No. 319247 that we used in the old target rifles back around 1900. If anything, No. 31141 is even a better balanced bullet. With the advantage of the gas check, it can show a velocity of from 1,600 to 1,800 feet per second. In my experience, I always got far better results in regard to accuracy at 100 yards where the velocity was under 2,000 fps, by shooting a flat-nose bullet. If Harry Pope were around today, he would tell you the same thing.

There was nothing to prevent Pope from having any bullet shape he wanted, but he found the flat-nose bullet gave the best results. So ... who are we to argue with that old-timer..."

The article goes on. So my questions are:

1) Does anyone know what he means by a 'better balanced' bullet? I looked up these cast bullets in Lyman's handbook and took a picture (sorry for not the best quality). Looking at them I don't quite follow if he's referring to the ratio of bore rider to bands or something else. All are around 170 grains.

2) Does anyone know why the flat nose in Donaldson's and Pope's opinion was a better choice? 

Thank you!
-Dave
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2024 at 11:18pm by KaiserKong »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Harvey Donaldson and Flat Nose Bullets
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 4:03am
Print Post  
I'll take a "shot" at it Smiley

Harvey Donaldson was one of the great shooters of the early 1900's and into the 60's. I have his book " Yours Truly" that was published by Hand Loader Magazine.

A "balanced"  bullet was then and is still now, a very subjective term and I think it more applied to a well stabilized bullet, rather than anything to do with balance or a ratio of bands to nose. Care in casing, producing consistent weight and filled out bullets is more important than many things.

Regarding he "flat nose" bullet, it used to be a well established FACT that only that type was accurate but, by the late 1970's and into the 80's, that has been proven, untrue.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BWS

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I'd postulate;

#1 high balance = large load window... pressure and velocity tolerance 

#2 the shape/form role in combating slump... Eagan moulds come to mind on the distinct angled nose vs rounded ogive

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:03am
Print Post  
My original 38/55 mold was a 290 gr Spritzer. Idea was it would hit the 500 yard rams harder. Barrels twist limited Its heavier bullet capabilities. It was accurate bullet any distance judged by competition results not bench rest testing. Later switched to 300 gr flat nose just as accurate judged by scores.

Idea that spritzer hits harder at distance may be true higher velocity velocity, Black Powder velocity 38/55 no noticeable advance to the  spritzer.

IP Logged

KaiserKong
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks all so far. 

Reading up on the flat-nose topic I note in Randy Wright's book Traditional American Schuetzen Rifles on page 105 he mentions that spitzer bullets are more finicky regarding finding a good load and that they do their best work so long as you keep the velocity in the supersonic region their whole flight. 

Spitzers do a better job of 'bucking the wind' because they have a higher ballistic coefficient than the round-nose or flat-nose but I'm not sure why they wouldn't perform as well once their speed drops towards the sound speed. I'm thinking there must be some dynamic instability forming, but I haven't found anything in the literature on the topic.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
There's a difference between true spitzer cast bullets and bullets with at least a modicum of bore riding surface ahead of the driving bands, or better yet a long bore riding section whether it ends in a pointed nose or a round/flat one. That difference lies in the propensity for a true spitzer (think U.S. military Ball M2-looking) cast bullet to slump in the rifling as it gets moving. Said bullets can indeed work (I use one for some .30-06 shooting) but I've found they gotta be hard as woodpecker lips and velocity has to be kept fairly low at around 1600fps for it to work - and then it works splendidly. Whether those protocols translate into traditional single shot rifle bullet design/alloys I can't say - all my molds are for either flat nosed or round nosed bullets.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2024 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Barry Darr, in some of his writings, said the flat nose bullet was superior in some instances, I have a problem with this but, I’ll leave it to the experts, I wonder if NASA makes a flat nose spaceship. Ledball

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint