Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1885 high wall extractor rim cut (Read 397 times)
steel-pounder

1885 high wall extractor rim cut
Jan 27th, 2024 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
high Im building and 1885 high wall in 45-70. I am working on the extractor right now. I have the barrel cut and the extractor fit and operating but I am  wondering how to go about cutting the recess for the shell rim. anybody have any good recommendations?  I have thought of fixturing it in the mill and using a end mill to do this cut or installing it in the rifle and using the chamber reamer. but both of these have inherent problems at least in my mind. namely catching a tooth and ruining the extractor or making the chamber egg shaped.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1885 high wall extractor rim cut
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Definitely cut it on the mill; the extractor is a less valuable, easier to replace or fix piece and the chances of damaging it are small.  The barrel is easy to damage, and expensive to replace, and no easy way to repair.

IP Logged

bpcrnut
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I agree with SSDAVE.  Use the mill.  I tried using a finish reamer once and wound up running a reamer.  Sad

AIM  
IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2024 at 11:54am
Print Post  
thank you for the advice. yep did it on the Mill. Which is the way I was leaning, being afraid that using the reamer would cause a cut in the side of the chamber.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint