Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard 22 (Read 1658 times)
Timetripper

Ballard 22
Jan 26th, 2024 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
I bought a Ballard rifle at auction late last year and must profess that I know little about them in general. It is a .22 and the long rifle does chamber. The 26" octagon barrel has been relined. The only stamping on it is the serial number on the underside, 6568, which matches the receiver. 
The left side of the receiver is marked as follows:

JM Marlin New Haven Conn USA
Ballard's Patent Nov 5 1861

It shows it's age with a brown patina on the barrel and some pitting all over the receiver. It has a few obvious issues:

1. The lip of the extractor is broken.

2.There seems to be a headspace issue as there is a gap when the breech is fully closed though I can get it to close up by pushing up on the lower tail end of the block.

3. When the breech is opened the hammer does retract slightly but then lowers back. It does not stay at the half cock position.

Is this a #3?
No maker marked on the rear tang though it does have calibrations on the left side. Front sight likewise unmarked.

Looking for a place to start in the way of advice and etc on how to get this old gun back into shooting condition.

I apologize for the over size pics.

John

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Ballard 22
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Congratulations and welcome to the “can’t own just one “ Ballard club! LoL
To answer some of your questions, yes it appears to have been lined but you should check the twist rate to be sure.  The block will have the serial number at the rear top of the tail. The block does not have the firing pin screw near the front top of the block, which #3s do not have. Most #3s will have a concave top on the top front of the receiver which yours does not have.  The center fires will have the screw. To remove the block take out the lever screw and it should drop down and out. 
It does have the plunger type .22 extractor common to #3s. I would suspect the block is not serial numbered to the rest of the rifle. 
Getting the Ballard to lock up tight with a snap can be difficult and some trial and error. Starting with replacing the lever screw as it may be worn out of round. Then changing the length of the lever link to the block. I’ve also seen where shims have been inserted at the top back of the frame where the block comes up tight. 
Mostly it will be a process of trial and error! And buy a copy of John Dutchers book on Ballards, it’s the Bible on Ballards.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
The first Ballard #3 did not have the concave top, and since yours is a JM Marlin marked Ballard it's one of the early ones before the concave top receivers began. Guessing it's from around 1877 or around there.
You'll need to actually chamber a cartridge to determine if it still has headspace issues as often the lever will sag on an empty chamber. If it's still not locking up then whoever lined the barrel messed up as they should have addressed headspace at that time.
The back edge of the breech block halves can be built up where they fit into the action opening to push the block forward slightly and tighten them up. Someone with a tig welder and good skills could build the area up, and then it can be worked down until the crush is correct at about .003"

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
New lever and link screws will often tighten up a Ballard. If not a longer link may work. They are worth restoring to shooting condition as they are fun and satisfying to shoot.

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2024 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
That's a big ole gun

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 10:26am
Print Post  
The pics are bigger than the gun. LOL. 
Thanks for all replies. I may have a source to either repair or fabricate a new extractor.
Any source for replacement screws or links? I see some screws on Ebay but think they are old parts.
Also, the failure of the hammer to stay in the half cock position when the action is closed, is there possible damage to the trigger or sear on the hammer? The hammer simply lowers back down to the fired position when the breech is closed and rests fully on the firing pin.

John

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Screws can be found on Ebay, and the seller was likely making them new, as they appeared new. kensmachine here used to sell some, and may still have certain screws.
Links are unobtanium since Jim at Distant Thunder retired and passed away. He used to sell sets of 6 different sizes as not all links are exactly the same spacing hole to hole. Need to be careful just changing a link as it moves the block up or down, and the wrong length can make the action looser, or put the firing pin off center an a CF Ballard.
Best to have the extractor tip built up where it's broken by tig welding, and then shape it down to fit. #3 extractors are different than other Ballards, being two piece, so best to repair it.
Likely the half cock issue is a bad notch on the hammer. Tough to say for sure if it's crud in the notch or worn hammer notch until you split the blocks to see. Often a good cleaning is all it needs as people rarely split the blocks on a Ballard.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
What Marlinguy said is good advice.  I might add that if not comfortable with welding up the extractor, give Peter Nagel at Restorative welding a call.  815-732-1249  I and others here have used him and he does good work.

To add to the hammer not catching the half cock, definitely go through what Marlinguy says.  You did not say if cocking manually the hammer catches and holds?  So I will add that If it does, then look at the link and hammer to be sure the link is pushing the hammer back far enough to catch the notch.  Here's a picture of the inside of a block.  Arrow is the area I'm referring too. The picture is of a DST block but the area of the link and hammer should be the same.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2024 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
The hammer does not catch on half cock when thumbed back. I will take the block out and post a picture of the inner workings.
Thanks again for all the input. You've all have given me something to chew on. 

John

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Here's some pics of the inner workings
It looks like there is no half cock notch, or that it is worn down or broken.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Pretty worn down, or someone worked it over to eliminate the half cock. Either need a new hammer, or have someone tig weld up the notch and recut it. Or just live with it not having one. Not a big deal to me, and I'd probably just leave it.

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input marlinguy. I think some TIG work is in the future. I'm up for some file work.

John

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2024 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
resize

IP Logged

TomKlinger

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 5:06am
Print Post  
Is that a crack in the frame from top to bottom and through the lever screw?? 
Be careful with that one!
Tom Klinger

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2024 at 9:48am
Print Post  
TomKlinger wrote on Feb 1st, 2024 at 5:06am:
Is that a crack in the frame from top to bottom and through the lever screw?? 
Be careful with that one!
Tom Klinger

My thought also when I saw it. Odd place for a crack though. Guessing it may be just a pattern in the rust pits. First likely place for a cast frame to crack as I understand it is in the rear, emanating out from the square corners of the breech block mortise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint