Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Special Ballard Parts (Read 7687 times)
rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Special Ballard Parts
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2024 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Takes my breath away. More than envious Greg.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - May 16th, 2024 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Nice work Greg! 
Interested to see how you like it after you have some trigger time behind it?
Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Mr. Storie and I had a discussion at the Greeley show about different methods of retaining firing pins in the split halves of Ballard breech blocks... Rodney, I looked in the mirror and there's a footprint in the middle of my back where you gave me the kick... down this rabbit hole... Grin Grin
This retard made a fixture this morning and spent a few hours tonight making things come together, appears to be a very good idea.

Jeff, 
shot a match with one of my Ballard builds and the new triggers last weekend, they worked well.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Greg what are friends for if not to help you find another rabbit hole.   It is what you and a few others do for me, so payback is only fair,lol. My grandson Connery is coming with me this year.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Greg, as usual, beautiful machining!

But…I have to ask what your theory is, as to why it’s better than a simple round pin in the breech block?   

It appears you are going to spring retract it, which I do like.

I’m probably asking a dumb question because it is is obviously not a standard Ballard breech block the way its machined, so you are, again, thinking out of the box!   

Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Well if that ain't just slick as an onion peel. And I thought I had accomplished a great feat of machining when I cut a breech block for a Borchardt Lol...

JMH

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 12:24pm:
Greg, as usual, beautiful machining!

But…I have to ask what your theory is, as to why it’s better than a simple round pin in the breech block?    

Bob

I too, have to ask what this does. Is it just that the bushing doesn't have to be screwed in?

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #37 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
And, it appears, you used a dovetail cutter to cut for the bushing using identical mirror cuts in both halves of the breech block! If so do you have a picture of the cutter? Or did you use a boring bar?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Gwahir,
I turned them both, block and the plug in the lathe.  Started out with the compound set at 15° but it was a lot of angle.  Changed it to about 12.5°.  The following pictures is the recent fixture in a 4-jaw and after I drilled the hole through (1/8"), my boring bars consist of broken carbide endmills ground to suit.  The drill has a tendency to walk drilling throught the split halves and there are a few other variables, hence the boring to get back on exact center.

Frank, My thinking here is the Ballard is a split breech block and threads never seem to be happy in split halves, jam up, cross thread, etc. worse after heat treat.  I like the dovetail wedge like Hubalek and Peterson did with the 22's but I was wondering how they'd hold up to the pressures of CF.  In this case, the plate is captured and can't shift side to side.  I'm going to give the breech block one more screw - above the firing pin just behind the vent hole (that isn't in yet), stress calcs don't indicate any concerns but a gut feeling says just do it.

Bob, 
I recently had a crater form around a flash hole from shooting pistol primers and black on another build, (probably 5K rounds through it) my headspace was set to sammi spec according to my notes but I never felt good about any of it.  I recently used an insert and tightened things up slightly and everything is happy now - a rare case I know.
There was a lot of effort exerted in this first time around but I have some things figured out so it'll be easier on the next.  When I get the rifle shooting I'm going to run quite a few loads through it and gage it.  We'll see how it does that'll determine how many more I'll do like this.   
The material I'm using for the inserts is 17-4 stainless, fairly easy to work with, easy to treat, and it becomes bullet proof, pun intended.   I am installing a small spring for retraction also and I like that.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Is there room to put 4, 4x40 shcs, 2 on each side?

That would help hold it together.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Greg, now I get it! Smiley   
You’re basically tried to beef up the block face.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Frank,
The thrust is linear, straight back, the screw for the lever link along with the dowel is plenty for holding the halves in position,  our web along each side of the hammer in this design adds rigidity there also.  As I mentioned, because there is room, I'm going to add an 6-40 screw above the firing pin similar to the screw in the tang.  I'll time the hammer fall so in the fired position it rests on the breech block not the fp and insert.

Bob, 
In this breech block design we added nearly .100" to the thickness behind the cartridge over the original.  From all the blanks I had cut out, there was extra material for a web on each side of the hammer so we modified our program and left most of it in there.   
The Ballard design is still weak, relying on two small screws, a small angled recoil shoulder and a tiny surface at the toe, we just removed one weak spot on the top area - nothing worth writing home about but once the cut is in our blocks, a replacement insert is a none issue.   
Changing the insert and firing pin may allow a rimfire conversion, a liner could then be set in the center of the bore.  Right now, I have a second breech block fit to the action for rf, a liner going in a dummy round that remains concentric the entire length.  Maybe the second breech block won't be needed after all.  hmmm.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 1:54am
Print Post  
I wasn't thinking about the strength in thrust but, what has always been the weakness of the Ballard, a split breach block, that in a case failure can separate the half's.

I've always thought a side plate BB would be the best upgrade for the Ballard.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Frank,
The striker design we came up with uses a sideplate.  I haven't taken a hammer design there yet but I'll probably go there for a breech block for the big fifty, yet another rabbit hole.
Here's a pic of a couple of striker blocks and a two piece hammer block in the works for it.  Some changes on the horizon.
Nivins.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Nice picture Greg, that green back ground really helps!
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint