Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 35cal Bullets? (Read 3719 times)
SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: 35cal Bullets?
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2023 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I gave up trying to resize the pic. Sorry!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2023 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
It looks like it will work but, I would make the bottom of the grease grooves, no smaller than .330.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #17 - Dec 23rd, 2023 at 7:54pm
Print Post  

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Here are my results for the 35-40 fixed ammo. The smokeless fixed ammo produced some leading. Easily removed. All shots at 100 yards. Tang and globe. Windy as usual, no wind flags.
The Saeco and Ideal bullets were sized to .358 and lubed with Taurak. May try those bullets again with 15 gr Lilgun. 17 may be to much pressure causing the leading.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2024 at 2:36am by westerner »  

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Thanx for the update! I have finished processing 21 cases and seated a cast bullet for determining chamber size. As with the form dies, I will now taper bore the chamber with a thou and a half clearance on the neck.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Progress on the 35/30 Maynard build. Setting up to finish the bbl shank and taper bore the chamber today. Ill fireform the existing cases and then determine finish form die size which will only neck size. If all goes well, I may not even need to resize the necks. Happy New Year to all!

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Joe, 
What velocity do you think thar 17gr load was producing? I’m going to fireform with the 210gr Accurate 36-210BG and then design an Accurate mold to suit the case, neck and throat dims. I am now leaning towards reducing the stop-ring land diameter to a couple thou. over throat freebore diameter. I will mock the neck section of the chamber in that muzzle end cutoff first to evaluate seating conditions and then throat the rifle to suit.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I don't have a clue but the rifle was barking and bucking perty good. The BP loads showed pressure on the primers where the smokeless loads did not.   Huh
Happy New Year!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
this is my first outing last year with fixed GC bullets in my 35-40(or 30?) Maynard(barrel marked 9.1x51R)  on a large Martini.
it's never shot fixed ammo this well again and now I breech seat and I'm slowly getting it to shoot.
With a martini, I'm having to use a simple  push seater with no leverage help . So I have a taper die for 35 calibers and I'm able to taper the bullets so I can get them to seat easily.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2024 at 3:20pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
cbashooter,
Thats awesome! Nice groups. What was your load data? Your cases look like 35/40 and the math works out. Guess I’m blind, I see your load data front and center!

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Jan 1st, 2024 at 4:08pm:
cbashooter,
Thats awesome! Nice groups. What was your load data? Your cases look like 35/40 and the math works out. Guess I’m blind, I see your load data front and center!

ya,14g 2400 and RCBS 250sp.its a special order mold i picked up when I visited Huntingtons 25 years ago
my chamber is super tight.To seat .358 bullets I had to turn necks! 
I can't find pics of my breech seat plainbase groups but they were just a bit bigger.i used about 14g of 4227.

I load fixed ammo  with 35-40 Lewis dies and it's pretty close to my chamber.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2024 at 4:39pm by Cbashooter »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2024 at 10:27am
Print Post  
That is a serious looking Martini. Would love to see it at Tommy's this summer.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2024 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I spent the last couple days testing dozens of loads with the 35/30 Maynard “fixed” project. It was disappointing at best. I was optimistic that extra care taken in a tight chamber and case prep would pay off. I was getting 2-3” 100yd groups with an occasional 1 1/2 group. I decided that I would see what this particular barrel would do with breechseating. This barrel is on a Stevens 44 1/2 action. Seating a .360” cylindrical bullet was out of the question. Not having a tapered 35cal mold suitable for breechseating, I made a tapered size die customized to the Accurate 36-210 bullet I am using. The pic shows the before and after of this bullet. I tapered the lands .351” to .360” top band to base in .460” of length. In actual use, the die works beautifully. This taper allows a plugged case to easily seat the bullet engraved nearly thru the base band. I had previously removed the gas check feature to use this 210gr. bullet in my “fixed” efforts. The first few shots using the new tapered bullet and breechseating let me know I was on the right track and greatly re-energized my 35/30 Maynard enthusiasm! My first (5)shot target had a three shot cloverleaf with the remaining 2 shots 1/2” out. The next (3) targets all had 3-shot cloverleafs with the flyers being my fault. I chose the 210gr. bullet as I already had this mold and anymore, I am becoming more and more intolerant of recoil. The load I am using is launching it at around 1550fps and is very pleasant to shoot. The barrel is the Ron Pence barrel that I bought from a forum member a while back. It finished at nearly 8# and is a 16 twist. Ill post some targets in the couple of days as I shoot more at 200yds. Cheers!

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 10:44am
Print Post  
It might be interesting to put a canelure on the case neck and shoot the tapered bullet fixed.

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I had a fun project with the .35.    This was originally a Ballard Perfection in 38-50.    I found the rifle in Northern Idaho.   It was cosmetically sound externally but had significant corrosion in the bore.   Consequently, I learned a great deal on the way to making this rifle an excellent shooter.    I ordered a TJ liner from Mike Sayers.  John Taylor did the reline of the barrel with the T.J. Hammer-Forged liner and cut the chamber.   For the chamber I modified a drawing for a Baldwin 35-40 chamber using my Tom Myers (Precision Software).   From that drawing I had Manson Reamers make a chamber-reamer for Mr. Taylor to use in cutting the 35-40 Maynard chamber.   The Oklahoma gunsmith and friend, Steve Baldwin, did additional work on the barrel face to tighten the lever lock-up.   I then drew up a bullet using the same software and had a custom mold-maker cut a mold for casting bullets.  There were a lot of steps I could have fouled up. The first real test was an 18” round gong at 500 yards hung at Wind’s annual get-together.    That was the first validation that I had everything correct. But the best part, after eight consecutive hits, handing the gun to my good friend, Mo, and seeing him best my 8 by going ten consecutive hits.     The only thing I might redo is going with a faster twist liner so I could have shot a heavier bullet.   

My eyes are gone now with advanced glaucoma so reshaping my collection to pass on.   This will be a hard one to turn loose of.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint