Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ball & Williams Ballards (Read 2703 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ball & Williams Ballards
Reply #15 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 9:56am
Print Post  
That is a left hand twist. I have a couple that are too.  And in the spirit of things, any of my Ballards that have RKS barrels on them got LH twist also, 38 up to my big 50. Smiley

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Not all Colt percussion revolvers are LH twist. But, some are gain twist. Very odd to look down the barrel and see it nearly straight for a few inches and then take a sudden spiral near the muzzle. What's really odd is to find something like an 1860 Army that has had the barrel shortened- damn near no twist at all, making me wonder how inaccurate those things were!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks Greg, figured you would straighten us out on barrel twist.

Steve, the only reason I thought yours was repaired was because it looks like the nose is a separate piece, set in a slot, and welded in.  At any rate your hammer looks a lot better than mine. Smiley

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Steve, can you post a picture straight on, from the side of your hammer (profile) when it is down, in the fired position, please.  The approximate serial number range of your gun also if you will.  If you prefer email, mine is in my profile.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
It does look that way, but I assume that's how they were made. Maybe somebody else can confirm it.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Bob,
I only had one at my current disposal for pictures.  It's a Merrimack in a 44rf and the bore is much rougher than yours (LH also) but the hammer is a one piece.  Somewhere I have a B&W in similar configuration - it's pristine and I remember it having a blade in it that is pinned, I'll look for it later.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
ndnchf wrote on Dec 4th, 2023 at 12:20pm:
It does look that way, but I assume that's how they were made. Maybe somebody else can confirm it.

I think you're right Steve. With 5 makers of Ballard rifles prior to Marlin, I believe some made the percussion hammer differently, and not all were part of the hammer. I spent some time looking through John Dutcher's fine treatise on Ballard rifles, and appears that a few Merrimack versions had a removable hammer spur. Others I saw pictures of appeared to be a one piece hammer.

As for left hand twist rifling, I think it's far from common. Of course everyone knows about Pope's LH twist rifling, but he also went to right hand towards the latter part of his career. I didn't know about Colt as I've never owned more than a couple.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I've got a Kentucky Ballard with the 30" barrel and it has the left hand twist.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 5th, 2023 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I'd have to look again to be double sure but I believe the twist on my Frank Wesson 2-trigger is left hand.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I pulled this rifle apart this week to clean it and make sure everything was good inside.  All the internal parts have the guns serial number including the hammer. The front of the hammer has been cut and fitted with an insert like some of the others shown here.  But, I think the hammer was partially replaced, either from a doner hammer or a new refit.   I appears the top was cut off and a replacement welded back on.  I ended up cleaning it up and reworking it so it looks somewhat better.

This first picture shows the nose insert and the start of the cleanup.

The next 2 photos are what appear to be welds.  Looks like they were carful to save the serial number by cutting the hammer off at an angle.

The last 2 are the hammer reworked and installed.  I intentionally kept the finish and checkering at a level that would not look new or incorrect and too perfect for the gun in its current state.

I still may need to replace the insert in the nose of the hammer once I try firing a round, but that will be fairly simple and not change anything I have already done.
Bob
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2023 at 1:28pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Nice work!  Looking forward to a range report.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks Steve.  I’m going need some of your expertise getting this thing shooting.  Have brass, and the pistol blanks are on the way, along with a reamer.  But, need to know where I can find bullets?
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
My rifle was advertised as .46 rimfire, but after it came in I found it to be .44 rimfire.  I started this discussion about loading for it. 

I used a .44 S&W American bullet. That bullet is perfect for my .44 rimfire #2 Remington sporting rifle. It worked in the Ballard too. But the heel is a bit undersized. They are two different .44 rimfire cartridges. The Remington .44 is a rimfire version of the .44 S&W American.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Steve, Good info on the 44 and I’ve been through it.  But, mine is a 38, which I know you haven’t covered but was hoping you would know where to get bullets.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Dec 17th, 2023 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Oh sorry, I had .44 on the brain. Try Old West. He shows out ifstock. But my experience has been that he will make a batch to order. Shoot him an email and ask.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint