Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic question for Thompson Contender guys (Read 839 times)
bullshop

question for Thompson Contender guys
Nov 29th, 2023 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I hope someone here is able to help me.  The problem I am having is with a Thompson Center Contender.  It is a stainless from not the Armor Alloy.   I have been using it with a blued 7mm TCU barrel and all has been good.    I recently bought a used blued barrel in 22 Hornet.   I put the new to me Hornet barrel on my frame and it locked on and would not open.  To get the barrel off the frame I had to disassemble the entire working mechanism which was a precarious pain with the several tiny springs that could easily get lost.  I now have the barrel off the frame and the frame re-assembled.  I am guessing the problem is with the locking lug on the barrel.  It is a solid one piece not the split type. It appears to protrude out slightly farther that does the 7mm TCU barrel that gives no problems.  I have an idea that the fix might be to replace the solid lug with a split lug. Does that sound about right ?  Is there a way to modify the current solid lug to get it to work ?  I can also see that the small divot at the rear center of the lug is noticeably smaller in the offending barrel than in the trouble free barrel.  Is that something that needs to be addressed ?  Sure would appreciate some helpful advice on this issue. If I can do something to fix it for free it will get done much sooner than if there is cost involved. If I know what I need maybe I still have time to drop hints to Santa !

IP Logged

Otony

Re: question for Thompson Contender guys
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
You need to change to a split lug. This was pretty common in the earlier days of Contenders when there were still a fair number of solid lug barrels around.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
That is what I was thinking the answer would be. I found them at EAB co. but $60.00 plus shipping will have to wait for next years budget.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Got the problem solved with only a small time investment not $.
Comparing the two different lugs seemed to show the two piece slightly shorter than the one piece.
Inspecting the one piece it seemed to be rubbing at the bottom flat surface.
Also the two piece had  a very noticeably wider and deeper U shaped notch at its forward center.
I addressed each of those differenced by polishing the bottom of the one piece to a very smooth surface, re-cutting the U shaped notch to more closely resemble that of the two piece, and putting a very slight bevel at the forward edge of the lug where it interfaces the frame locking parts.
Put it back together and it now opens as it should. It is a little sticky so not quite as smooth working as the two piece lug but it is working and can now be used and there was no cost other than my time.  I am 68 years old so my time is not worth much any more accept to me.  Hope this info might help someone else that also cant afford to just buy the fix.

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Excellent! At one time many years ago, TC would change out locking lugs on early barrels for free. Those days are sadly gone though. I’m glad you were able to work out a solution

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2023 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Necessity is the mother of invention so they say. I figured I couldn't make it worse.   I also figured that they must have made a lot of early barrels with the solid lug that worked just fine.

I took that to mean that some must just need attention to fitting and apparently that was about right.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2023 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
In this situation even with the hinge pin removed from the frame the barrel would not release from the frame. There was simply not enough clearance for the lug to pass once it locked in.
Dissembling the frame was the only way I could figure out to get to the lug and compress its spring enough that the lug could pass and the barrel open. The lug was just too long maybe by only a few thousandths but that was enough to hang it up.
Disassembly is not too complicated but there are three tiny springs in there that can easily be lost if not paying close attention. Loosing parts tends to complicate the repair and adds expense. This time I got lucky and the only cost was about an hour of my labor which must be pretty cheap because my wife says I am worthless.  If she is right then I fixed it for free. 

IP Logged

gemihur
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2024 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
When they lock, they lock!
I've had to drop the trigger group and manually detent the barrel lugs to open it up!
Here's a source for split lugs. Remember you need right and left
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
E.A. Brown has a set for $30+ more
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Good shooting, friend.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint