Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wisconsin gun deer season (Read 1994 times)
jwdII
Participating Member

ASSRA 3776

Re: Wisconsin gun deer season
Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Charles, My farm is 3/4 mile away from Radio Ryan Road. Small world! Jack

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 9:40am
Print Post  
I think I will use my Stevens 44-1/2 #45 32-40 with Lyman 321297 cast 1:20 and a stiff load of H4895 from my stand in Rusk County just 4 miles south of US 8 and a mile or so east of the county line.  As a kid we hunted north of Loretta close to the Chippewa.  I have a great family story from 1930.  My uncle and others pushed a hand car 7 miles up the old logging railroad from Loretta and camped just off the river where the railroad bridge was recently removed.  This was the first deer season for Wisconsin since 1919 (I think) so most of the deer had only seen a lumberjack.  Uncle George said that after making camp they walked around to check the area and in just about any direction they looked they could see a buck looking at them.
Next morning they were eating breakfast at 9 AM with a full buck pole.  I have a picture of it and there are some nice bucks hanging on it.  I hope we get lucky this year.

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Hand cars were a common mode of transportation back in the day of the old logging rail roads. These nimrods used one to get "back in" in the mountains of north central Pennsylvania sometime around the beginning of the last century. Looks like a model'73.

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #18 - Nov 15th, 2023 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Good see all the excitement about the upcoming hunt. Those old pics are great. I've got some showing Hwy 70 as a narrow gravel road crossing what I think is the Oxbo bridge. Things have reversed completely since the 30's. Folks from the southern half of the state had to go north to hunt deer. I remember dad talking about near on 50 cars sitting along the highway watching a single deer graze in a hay field in Sauk county in the 50's. Good luck everyone, I'm off to camp at first light tomorrow.

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Mert Cowley lives about a mile from me. He collected hundreds of old deer camp and logging pictures and published them in some neat books about deer hunting and logging. Look up books by Mert Cowley.  They are all out of print but used are for sale. My wife's great grandfather is in one of the logging pictures.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2023 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Good memories, hunted an old family farm of distant relatives in Buffalo county, now long gone.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Charles do you hunt northern Minnesota at all.
mes
bohemianway wrote on Nov 14th, 2023 at 11:14am:
Jack,

The family farm is on Ryan Radio Road and agree the dčerare abundant.

Charles

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #22 - Nov 24th, 2023 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
It's been a slow season at camp this year. Most everyone is seeing a few but no bucks.  This morning a small buck got to close me and the      32-40. Not a deer for the record books but it sure was memorable letting this 130 year old Highwall make meat again. Hopefully your hunts are going well. Neil

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint