Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Deer Loads (Read 964 times)
The Kaiser
Participating Member

Deer Loads
Oct 29th, 2023 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Would like to hear from anyone using a 45/70 single shot and using Black Powder.  535 grain bullet in a Sharps.

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Re: Deer Loads
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2023 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I’ve killed a few with a ten lb Shiloh 45:70 and BP loads. My preferred load for deer is with a soft flat pointed bullet of around 400 grains over about 67 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss, 
The big 500 plus grain bullets zip thru skinny deer like an arrow. I believe the lighter, flat nose bullets deliver a little more smack on light game. Either way, making a perfect shot is of the upmost importance. 
JKR

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2023 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I agree with JKR. The heavies were made to pass thru buffalo. I have harvested several deer with a light 45/70 load and the Ideal 330gr 456122 Gould’s Express hollow point bullet cast soft. Most were still pass-thru’s. None went more than 50yds. Very little, if any, meat loss at low end velocities.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 5:31am
Print Post  
The old Lyman 457122 HP (approx. 330 gr with 20:1) has never let me down on deer with either BP or smokeless equivalent loads in a Sharps & a Hepburn. Most shots at less than 100 yds in heavy bush. Agree that you don't need to use a heavy slug.
Spud

IP Logged

ClaMar

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2023 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I hunted twice for plains game in South Africa with a Shiloh Sharps and smokeless ammo loaded to ~1350 fps (to eliminate any potential issues with black powder cartridges and eliminate the need for frequent cleaning).  535 grain bullets, 1:20, from a Fred Leath mould, with a flat cut on the tip.  First trip, 1/4" flat, resulted in recovered bullets with penetration ~28" and expansion to 3/4"-7/8".  Second trip, 5/16" flat, resulted in penetration ~24" and slightly more expansion.  Probably overkill on all but kudu and wildebeest, but killed everything quickly and reliably.  A high broadside lung shot on a wildebeest from 50 yds. resulted in spurts of blood visible as the rifle came out of recoil, and movement after the shot of only 15 yds. or so.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2023 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I would suggest casting in pure lead BHN-5.
It works in muzzleloaders as well as cartridge guns.
It will accurately handle all the velocity you can muster with BP
It will expand even at very low impact velocities.
As a professional bullet maker my rule of thumb when asked about bullet hardness for expansion is 1 Brinnell point per 100 fps impact (not muzzle) velocity

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2023 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
The Kaiser wrote on Oct 29th, 2023 at 8:04pm:
Would like to hear from anyone using a 45/70 single shot and using Black Powder.  535 grain bullet in a Sharps.

Deer are pretty small boned animals, and almost anything in a 535 gr. .45-70 with a full load of 2fg is going to be easy to bring one down with. Shouldn't need any special alloy or compressed charges for deer. Just whatever load is the most accurate in your Sharps.
I've not taken a deer with this heavy a bullet, but I've taken them with lighter 405 gr. cast lead, and at 1350 fps at 80-130 yds. they drop in their tracks.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint