Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wisconsin gun deer season (Read 1996 times)
northwoodneil

Wisconsin gun deer season
Nov 11th, 2023 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Season is 1 week away and I finally found time to sight in my old Winchester 1885 in 32-40. I've worked up a ladder of loads for the rifle but time didn't allow for trying them out. In the back of the ammo locker was 2 boxes of Load-x 32-40 I bought to get the brass. The first 2 shots were 2" low and 2" left. The next 5 were stacked in the bull, about 1 1/2" group at 50 yards. That's about as good as my old eyes will do with a cheap Marbles tang sight. The 180gr slug crossed the crony at 1700 fps, perfect whitetail medicine for the short range Wisconsin northwoods. My 45-70 will have to sit this one out. This 130 year old rifle is going to the stand with me this year.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: Wisconsin gun deer season
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2023 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
To me Neil, this is whats it all about. Sitting or stillhunting with an old rifle and caliber that transports us back in time a century or more. Pick your shot and good luck! Very few deer here by me this year. Wolves are eyeing the last remaining few now. I went on a long scout this morning and two scrapes in a line of 7 had wolf tracks in them. That little forkhorn doesn't stand a chance.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2023 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
I was at my nephew's small farm yesterday helping him wire his new house when we saw a really nice Blacktail buck outside about 25 ft. from the barn just grazing in his apple orchard! After the buck left he told me next weekend that second season deer hunt will start, and his area requires only shotguns or muzzleloaders. He had bought a modern muzzleloader last year, but never knew how to set it up, load it, and get it sighted in. So we stopped work and set up a target at 100 yds., and I showed him how to use his new ML rifle. It's scoped, which is legal for this season coming up, and he had sabot .50's that are around .45 caliber. 
Once we bore sighted it with the breech plug out, we reassembled it, and I fed it a 100 gr. charge, and the 250 gr. sabot bullet. It put 3 shots at 100 yds. in a 1.5" group, which impressed the heck out of me!
Now if that nice 6x6 buck just cooperates and returns anytime Saturday or later! A doe is also legal, but that buck would be a nice mount!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Deer season here in Wisconsin is like a  national holiday. My home becomes “deer camp” next week. It’s about the only time that all my family gets together during the year. 
Where are you at Neil? I’m in Sawyer County just south of Hayward. 
Two years ago I got a little eight pointer with my old 38-55 Highwall. A black powder load with a 300 grain cast bullet. I’ve hunted with single shots for over forty years. Mostly a Ruger 1A in 7X57
Be safe and good luck!
JKR.

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 7:50am
Print Post  
I have been in my deer stand this weekend for our ND opener. Been the slowest year ever after a terrible winter last year. Spend half the time staring at the Hepburn DST 32/40 Rem. that I am hunting with this year. Missed a magnificent fox yesterday at 207 yards, wind got me.

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 8:10am
Print Post  
I'm between Park Falls and the twin cities (Loretta/Draper) Grin off of Hwy 70. I live down in the middle of the state until I get retired next year then camp will become home. I've been leaving the big farmland bucks behind and heading north to camp since I was a kid. We started out with camp being a tent pitched on an old log landing. More deer south but it's just not deer camp unless I'm north of 8. Not many hunters opening weekend but they'll straggle in by Thanksgiving.

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 8:11am
Print Post  
JKR what is your load for that 300 gr cast bullet

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 8:19am
Print Post  
207 yards, here in the northwoods the only way to get a shot that long would be across the lake. We had a tough winter here too. It started snowing the last weekend of season and didn't stop still spring. The wolves had a good winter by the looks of it, yarded deer make easy pickings.

IP Logged

JKR
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Wild thing. The load was 42 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 compressed with a .060” p wad. Bullet was seated a bit short of the lands for easy loading. 
Neil. Yes, that’s big woods in that area. Years ago I built a log cabin on the Chip for a doctor from Eau Claire. I believe it was on Old Bridge Road. Wild country for sure. What’s the Wolf situation there? Do you ever see any of those Clam Lake elk?
JKR

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 8:46am
Print Post  
The wolves are bad. There's areas the only deer you see are around the houses and cabins where wolves fear to tread. The elk are holding their own but the herds not expanding fast. They planted some just a few miles south of me in the Flambeau Forest. I've seen them a couple times while grouse hunting. Wisconsin trades grouse and turkeys for elk but you can't give the wolves away.

IP Logged

wildthing

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 9:12am
Print Post  
JKR that is almost the same load I shooy. I use 43.5 gr of swiss 1 1/2 with a 310 gr out of a Hoch mould

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Loretta is not to far from my friends homestead where we had deer camp in Tomahawk. Not much for deer ever as I recall but really miss the camaraderie and great, not so good for you, food like stew/landjager sticks/refreshments. Preferred my 1874 (1879) 45-70 military rifle in fair weather and early 1893 Marlin 38-55 if wet out.

And just today while shooting skeet at our club a big 10pt walks right down the range as we are shooting and at dusk it goes back through always chasing the ladies. Unfortunately our club is called Minnetonka Game & Fish Club although there is no hunting or fishing allowed on the property.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2023 at 8:14pm by bohemianway »  
GTalk  
IP Logged

BlackPowderLove

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 8:44am
Print Post  
JKR wrote on Nov 12th, 2023 at 7:45am:
Deer season here in Wisconsin is like a  national holiday. My home becomes “deer camp” next week.

Same here with our place.  I am in Trempealeau county so... Western Uplands and not the Great North.   

I inherited a couple German hunting rifles built on Mauser actions (not really single shots) and will be taking them out this year.  The 45-70 trapdoor will stay inside, but I may take out the 1871 Mauser for a walk or sit at some point.

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”
IP Logged

jwdII
Participating Member

ASSRA 3776

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Good to hear all the reports. Being 81 & a retired farmer I still go out, but definitly not as agressively as years ago. Live in Kewaunee county, farm country, so an abundance of deer.  Been using a modern single shot Miller actioned in 30 06 as I now hunt open areas. Keep me posted on your progress. Jack

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2023 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Jack,

The family farm is on Ryan Radio Road and agree the dčerare abundant.

Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint