Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Offhand Rifle (Read 780 times)
Dr.J

Offhand Rifle
Nov 1st, 2023 at 9:17am
Print Post  
A senior citizen with a real bad back who wants to continue shooting offhand with a single shot rifle, looking for suggestions . My ability to shoot is limited somewhat by the weight of a rifle AND especially where the weight is located. I’m able to shoot my lever action silhouette rifles weighing 7-8lbs without a problem. I am unable to shoot my 11lb CPA offhand due to its weight forward balance, despite having shortened the barrel to 24”.  My next move is to drill a hole in the stock, try different weights to see if that would help
I’m looking for a single shot rifle in the 7-9lb range with a balance point ideally located over where the fingers of my left hand (I shoot off the fingers of my left hand). Would a Martini Model 12 accomplish what I’m looking for and/or are there other rifles I should consider?  Thanks, Tom

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Offhand Rifle
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Have you tried an offhand rifle with a palm rest yet? A palm rest on the forearm will really make holding and supporting the weight much easier. Especially if it's built and adjusted to fit you so when shouldered your left elbow rests against the body to help. Even heavier offhand rifles feel easier to hold with a palm rest.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Since you've already shortened the barrel, my suggestion would be to turn the barrel down to the weight you need.

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I would also look at the length of pull on the rifle. a long stock puts more weight out front as well.how much shorter is your lever gun?

IP Logged

25-20guy
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
You have a PM

IP Logged

Dr.J

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
25-20 did you receive my response to your PM?

IP Logged

Dr.J

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I have not tried shooting with a palm rest and need to do so.  Need to check the length of pull on both rifles. I also shoot .22 bpcr, hence the need to be able to shoot offhand. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Tom

IP Logged

25-20guy
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2023 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
It appears that my Microsoft provider is blocking emails from this site so not sure if you received pictures I sent. Please send me your email address if you would still like more pictures.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2023 at 8:28am
Print Post  
I'm in sort of the same boat. I'm inflicted with ankylosing spondilitis (sort of a weird auto-immune/arthritis kind of thing) that is slowly locking the vertebrae in my lower back and neck. It is what it is, doesn't slow me down much. But, it makes offhand shooting difficult to impossible. I'm working on a solution involving a canted palm rest, and will probably end up creating a mildly weird butt stock to help compensate for my inability to turn my head very much. Building upper body strength is key also, to help compensate for poor shooting posture. I'll not be a top offhand competitor but I would at least like to get back into the offhand game to a degree!

Regardless, in the meantime bench shooting certainly has its own rewards. Main thing is to keep pulling triggers and burning powder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint