Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Not really a rifle but a single shot. (Read 5135 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Not really a rifle but a single shot.
Reply #45 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
That's a beauty, Vall. But, NSN! Our governor just made these ghost guns illegal to possess... Wonder if he will send someone to the show to check all the old guns?

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #46 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 3rd, 2024 at 2:29pm:
That's a beauty, Vall. But, NSN! Our governor just made these ghost guns illegal to possess... Wonder if he will send someone to the show to check all the old guns?

You must remove the grips to see the serial # on these. On the sides of the frame under the wood

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Ah, a good excuse, too. Want to see the serial number? Do you have a set of gunsmith screwdrivers on you? Well. you'll just have to take my word for it then.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #48 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Actually, after comparing the pictures I'm pretty sure that the A. Hubalek-converted Model 1901 that RDBallard refers to IS the Hubalek Vall just acquired.  Someone tried to make a quick buck?

In any case, a wonderful acquisition, Vall

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #49 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I don't believe this is a 1901 after looking closer at the details on rollstamps, and the "P" "S" stamps on the receiver. Those markings add up to a Model 1891 Remington not a Model 1901. But I believe the barrel is from a 1901 as it doesn't have a barrel sight on it.
I don't think the Poulin buyer made much if he bought it at $900 and paid the usual auction fees on top of that, plus GB fees when he sold it to me. But he was able to make a profit, and that's his business, not my concern. I rarely look at online auctions or I'd have bid on the Poulin auction too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Did Remington keep the same stocks for both models or were the stocks changed with the barrel?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #51 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 3rd, 2024 at 5:03pm:
Did Remington keep the same stocks for both models or were the stocks changed with the barrel?

The stock shape and style was the same for the 1891 and the 1901, but 1891 stocks were smooth, while 1901 stocks were finely checkered. But since this Hubalek 1891 has his grip frame extension done to it the grips are not Remington, and not one piece like all the Remingtons were regardless of model. Hubalek didn't do wood work, so no telling who he use to do his stock or grip work. 
The 1891 is more rare at just 116 made, but the Bluebook shows them not being more valuable than the later 1901 versions.

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #52 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 3rd, 2024 at 4:28pm:
I don't believe this is a 1901 after looking closer at the details on rollstamps, and the "P" "S" stamps on the receiver. Those markings add up to a Model 1891 Remington not a Model 1901. But I believe the barrel is from a 1901 as it doesn't have a barrel sight on it.
I don't think the Poulin buyer made much if he bought it at $900 and paid the usual auction fees on top of that, plus GB fees when he sold it to me. But he was able to make a profit, and that's his business, not my concern. I rarely look at online auctions or I'd have bid on the Poulin auction too.

These days by the time you add in the extra costs it adds up real quick. $7,000 turns into $9,100 and as we have all learned if you can't hold it in your hand and inspect it yourself it may not be as advertised. Even the most reputable auction houses are questionable in my opinion. I think we as collector's are the "Experts" and not the auction house. Nice gun though with the work of a true craftsman. Congrats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #53 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
RDBallard wrote on Jan 3rd, 2024 at 5:22pm:

These days by the time you add in the extra costs it adds up real quick. $7,000 turns into $9,100 and as we have all learned if you can't hold it in your hand and inspect it yourself it may not be as advertised. Even the most reputable auction houses are questionable in my opinion. I think we as collector's are the "Experts" and not the auction house. Nice gun though with the work of a true craftsman. Congrats

The pictures at HALP's site are better than auction pictures, and show the forearm off the barrel with Hubalek's markings and other features. 
I contacted the seller on GB to tell him the markings that make it a Model 1891 and not a 1901, but he simply replied, "It came to us as a Model 1901 so we need to sell it as such."
I told him two mistakes still don't make it a modern pistol, and my FFL dealer wont be the one to make it three mistakes. He'll simply check the markings and if he also agrees it's antique he'll just hand it to me.

IP Logged

RDBallard

Reply #54 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 3rd, 2024 at 7:14pm:
RDBallard wrote on Jan 3rd, 2024 at 5:22pm:

The pictures at HALP's site are better than auction pictures, and show the forearm off the barrel with Hubalek's markings and other features. 
I contacted the seller on GB to tell him the markings that make it a Model 1891 and not a 1901, but he simply replied, "It came to us as a Model 1901 so we need to sell it as such."
I told him two mistakes still don't make it a modern pistol, and my FFL dealer wont be the one to make it three mistakes. He'll simply check the markings and if he also agrees it's antique he'll just hand it to me.

Some of these Gunbroker sellers are getting ridiculous. Couple of weeks ago  someone sold a gun that they claimed had a Steven-Pope barrel. Right hand twist and no markings anywhere that indicated Stevens-Pope. Same thing. This is what the consignor claims so I have to advertise as such. Some have  some silly stories that are outright lies.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #55 - Jan 3rd, 2024 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
I remember that so-called "Stevens-Pope" very well.  Speaking just for myself, I don't deal with sellers who indulge in such "puffery", regardless of the excuse.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #56 - Jan 4th, 2024 at 11:20am
Print Post  
There recently was a seller with two Remington Rolling Block Sporting Rifles for auction on GB and both are antique, but seller said they they needed to go through an FFL. When I contacted him to ask why antiques needed to go through an FFL he basically said he was protecting himself by using his FFL to ship in case they might not be antique.
I replied that if his FFL or he did a little research they'd both discover they were antiques and would save him and the buyer some money and hassle. I  got the feeling he didn't care, so I told him I refused to play the game and wouldn't be bidding.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jan 4th, 2024 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Speaking of puffery, eBay is offering sellers the option of using AI to write the item description. I tried it once on a MAJOR ugly aluminum adjustable buttplate that came on a high wall stock I bought (and instantly regretted). I made a useable stock by adding some wood and decided to see if I could sell the aluminum monstrosity.  It was so bad that the piece that attached to the wood which required a 3/4” hole was wider in both dimensions than the adjustable part it mated with.  All I had done was write a title and eBay AI ended up with a glowing description praising the fact that it was aluminum and how versatile it would be because I had used the word adjustable.  I was so impressed with the description that I thought about keeping it (not).  I redid the description to be honest and managed to get $25 for it.  Since then I have been able to recognize other AI generated descriptions on eBay items.   

Is there an eBay anonymous?  I need to join!!!

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #58 - Jan 4th, 2024 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I've bought a lot of items off Ebay, but never sold there. Sometimes the descriptions are great and other times wrong or downright deceitful!

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #59 - Jan 4th, 2024 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Jan 4th, 2024 at 12:05pm:
Speaking of puffery, eBay is offering sellers the option of using AI to write the item description. I tried it once on a MAJOR ugly aluminum adjustable buttplate that came on a high wall stock I bought (and instantly regretted). I made a useable stock by adding some wood and decided to see if I could sell the aluminum monstrosity.  It was so bad that the piece that attached to the wood which required a 3/4” hole was wider in both dimensions than the adjustable part it mated with.  All I had done was write a title and eBay AI ended up with a glowing description praising the fact that it was aluminum and how versatile it would be because I had used the word adjustable.  I was so impressed with the description that I thought about keeping it (not).  I redid the description to be honest and managed to get $25 for it.  Since then I have been able to recognize other AI generated descriptions on eBay items.  

Is there an eBay anonymous?  I need to join!!!

Jack

Since I’ve retired I have been selling quite a bit of stuff on eBay to whittle down the mountains of stuff I’ve collected over the last 50 plus years.

I learned sometime back to recognize the AI descriptions, and have never even bothered to try it. Some of the stuff is so obviously wrong, and yet the sellers will still use it! I believe it is because they have no real idea what they anre selling and aren’t inclined to try searching for information.

Supposedly the largest private seller on eBay lives one town over from me, and he purchased a huge building a year or two back to store his “stuff”. He has a team of employees just to list and describe his items!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint