Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1894 Stevens Favorite Replacement Barrels? (Read 1635 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1894 Stevens Favorite Replacement Barrels?
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I forgot I had this barrel!  It's definitely in loose hands.  Have no idea who made it but have been told it may have been Numeric Arms.  New barrel, 24 inches long, marked Favorite, blued, dovetails cut, chambered and the shank measures .664 diameter.  If interested we can talk.
Bob
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2023 at 6:47pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
West Hurley makes it Numrich for sure.  Doesn't look like the retaining screw dimple has been cut, and that's not as simple as job as you might think.  It not only keeps the barrel in, it also maintains headspace.   The shape is important, and the position is critical.

<div class=

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Correct, the the retaining dimple has not been cut.  Doesn’t make any difference to me if he’s interested or not, I had forgot about it, but he says turning and milling is not an issue so he should be able to handle it. And, you are very correct about the importance of it being done correctly.

I thought Westhurley was the name of a town in NY. Grin
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 5:52pm:
I just removed a 25 barrel from a Favorite.  Very nice on the outside bore might be shootable, definitely could be lined.  6 o’clock extractor.  Also have good wood, buttplate.  I’m keeping the sights.  
I’ve put liners in probably half dozen or more barrel so I could probably do it but, not sure I want to get into that and would need your action besides.
Bob

Do you know how much you would want for this barrel?

Danny

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 6:37pm:
I forgot I had this barrel!  It's definitely in loose hands.  Have no idea who made it but have been told it may have been Numeric Arms.  New barrel, 24 inches long, marked Favorite, blued, dovetails cut, chambered and the shank measures .664 diameter.  If interested we can talk.
Bob

Nice barrel.  It just differs from my barrel in that the octagon section on mine is rounded.  Right now I would prefer to stay with a more identical looking replacement.

Danny

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:14pm:
West Hurley makes it Numrich for sure.  Doesn't look like the retaining screw dimple has been cut, and that's not as simple as job as you might think.  It not only keeps the barrel in, it also maintains headspace.   The shape is important, and the position is critical. 

Just for sake of education on these, without talking mine apart to look at it, I am assuming, the part where you mention maintaning headspace, if you don't get the dimple in the correct location, that you could cause the retaining screw to walk into an incorrectly located dimple, possibly forcing the barrel off of the receiver shoulder, lengthening headspace?  Is that a correct observation, at least, assuming that the dimple got located wrong in that direction?

Danny

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint