Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1894 Stevens Favorite Replacement Barrels? (Read 1637 times)
gas_gunner
Participating Member

1894 Stevens Favorite Replacement Barrels?
Oct 6th, 2023 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Is there any source for Stevens 1894 replacement barrels?  I have been looking with no luck.  If I had only the usual problem (shot out or corroded barrel), this would probably be simpler; get the original relined.  My bore is typically bad, but, it looks like the barrel was refinished once before.  The barrel is half octagon, half round.  When the barrel refinish was done, the flats on the octagon end were not carefully refinished and the flats at the receiver end are rounded off.

Danny

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1894 Stevens Favorite Replacement Barrels?
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 3:21am
Print Post  
An off-the-shelf source doesn't exist, as far as I know.  I'm sure John Taylor could make one from a blank, but it won't be cheap.  

Green Mountain lists a 27" octagon .22 blank that is nominally .850 at the breech end, tapering to .710 at the muzzle.  That could be milled and turned into a replica of the octagon-to-round barrel used on the '94 style Favorites.  Less work than starting with a round blank, but the list price is $207.00

My caliper suggests that, with care, a round barrel from a 1915 Favorite is just barely big enough to let it be milled to make an 1894 replica, but then you'd still have the expense of putting a liner in it, unless you found a really good one.  Both models used the same shank, so they will interchange unless your 1894 is an early side-extractor model.  

All I know.

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Gun Parts Corp. has new replacement favorite barrels for the 1915 favorites at $133.59 part #593550. If I am remembering correctly the barrel shank on a 1915 favorite is slightly longer than a 1894 favorite so quite a bit of extra fitting would be needed to use one of these barrels.  These replacement barrels have 3/8" sight dovetails so the original sights will not fit. The original forearm will not fit either because these barrels while being part octagon they are not milled round on the bottom like the original barrels are.
I would watch ebay for a original 1894 barrel in better condition than your original barrel as they show up often on ebay. You would likely still need to put a liner in it, as favorite barrels with good bores are scarcer than hens teeth. Perhaps someone on this site might have a suitable 1894 barrel they would sell.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 6:23am
Print Post  
Post-1900 Favorite (6:00 extractor) and 1915 shanks are identical.  I actually had both in hand and was swapping back and forth when I posted above.  There is some variation of the extractor width, so it might require a different extractor.   

Yes, 1915 Favorites used a wider dovetail for the front sight.  Oddly enough I found the same wide dovetail on a 1894 barrel that came with one of my .25 Stevens projects.  Spent a couple of hours overnight filing a random sight from my junk box to fit, which is why I had it handy along with a 1915 CF conversion I've just finished.

<div class=

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 7:57am
Print Post  
would a Varner 1895 barrel work?
I have a Varner barrel I could measure if you would like.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2023 at 8:20am by bg7m »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:40am
Print Post  
For better or for worse, it would be useful to know.  

1915 barrel shank mikes .665" diameter x 1.550 long.
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2023 at 9:53am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

bg7m

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
this is a sketch of a Varner barrel I fitted to a Stevens Favorite, it would not group at 25 yards, come to find out the barrel is bent
Had to resize the photo, so hope you can see it

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Are Varner Favorites still available?  I have forgotten that name.  Are they recommended even if available?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Danny

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Right now, looking on Gunbroker and eBay for a used example with a good exterior, needing liner might be the best solution.  Trying to get one made could come later.  I would try to do it on my own, but turning the long tapered section is beyond what I have ever tried or am set up to do.  Turning and milling on the breech end: not a problem.

Danny

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
A .32 rimfire barrel should be able to be reamed to accept a 5/16 OD liner. Or get a 3/8 od liner and the 32 rim recess might even cleanup.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I did that once.  Lots easier than drilling out a .22 barrel, which I have also done.  Put a 1" long sleeve in the breech end before reaming to take care of the crude .32 S&W chamber & rim recess that Milo Parkenfarker had done.  

.32 barrels are thin on the ground, though. 

<div class=

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I have been considering the barrels of other chamberings, which may or may not be more economical.  It certainly should add more chances at getting a barrel.  Might have to replace an extractor.

Danny

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I have a 'complete' Favorite I'm planning on selling. Pretty sure its a '94, half octagon. Sloppy loose, chip out of the forearm, needs a liner...

Barrel is good outside, nice brown patina on it. Not sure if I have an 'inventory' list on my shop pc in CA,  but I'll be back in TX Tuesday eve to double check and get pictures if you're interested. Probably sell it shipped for somewhere around the cost of a new barrel.

IP Logged

gas_gunner
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
wesg wrote on Oct 7th, 2023 at 4:31pm:
I have a 'complete' Favorite I'm planning on selling. Pretty sure its a '94, half octagon. Sloppy loose, chip out of the forearm, needs a liner...

Barrel is good outside, nice brown patina on it. Not sure if I have an 'inventory' list on my shop pc in CA,  but I'll be back in TX Tuesday eve to double check and get pictures if you're interested. Probably sell it shipped for somewhere around the cost of a new barrel.

Might be interested, but before taking any pictures, etc., let me know a price.

Danny

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2023 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I just removed a 25 barrel from a Favorite.  Very nice on the outside bore might be shootable, definitely could be lined.  6 o’clock extractor.  Also have good wood, buttplate.  I’m keeping the sights.   
I’ve put liners in probably half dozen or more barrel so I could probably do it but, not sure I want to get into that and would need your action besides.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint