Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crimping rimfire case mouths (Read 412 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Crimping rimfire case mouths
Sep 28th, 2023 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
A friend challenged me to come up with a solution that has me stumped. The issue: home made .32 RF ammo constructed out of .32 centerfire cases drilled for a starter pistol cap, won't chamber now because he flared the case mouths to insert bullets. The heeled bullet diameter precludes simply running them into a crimping die, or would a taper crimp die work maybe? I know he shouldn't have flared the mouths (the heel should fit in without that, right?), but the damage is done and he challenged me to fix the 100 he has. 

Signed,
The Chump Who's Stumped

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: Crimping rimfire case mouths
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2023 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
does Lee make a factory-crimp die for .32 acp?

I would try using either the FL sizing die or the seater to see IF they'd work.

OR try a lot of other dies in your inventory to see if anything comes close.

OR turn on the lathe and make  your own crimp die from a 7/8-14 bolt or section of all-thread.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 2:57am
Print Post  
If you have the ability to make a couple of simple lathe parts, send me your email for a drawing of the seater/crimper I've made for the Lyman tong tool.   Easily adapted to a Lee Universal Expander (which it's not) die body.  Spring loaded seater punch hold the heeled bullet snug while the die applies a taper crimp.
------------------------
Never mid Gary, I have it.  Sent you the sketch in multiple file formats just now
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2023 at 3:05am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2023 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Old West Moulds sells a crimper that is for heel bullets. It is modified from a Lee factory crimp die for the 7.92x39 using an extended shell holder. I bought one a number of years ago but have never got around to using it. My loads always worked fine w/o a crimp.

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 5:33am
Print Post  
I've been loading heel bullets of many calibers for quite a few years and tried many methods.

Flaring the case mouth should not be necessary. If done right, the heel should be a nice, slightly snug slip fit into the mouth, seated by hand. If needed, a drop or two of loctite can be used to retain the bullet. 

I have three or four Old West heel bullet crimpers. They work very well, but can be hard on the csse mouths if overdone.  They key is sizing the case mouth for the proper slip fit of the heel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint