Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Swiss No. 3 Weight to Volume? (Read 506 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Swiss No. 3 Weight to Volume?
Sep 27th, 2023 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Today I decided to load some 50-70 and 50-90 using a 425gr bullet for both. For the 50-70 I used 5grs of D060 as my kicker and then the reduced black charge on top of that. I was going to do the same but I did not have a full case with the combination. I then tried a straight 90gr (by weight) charge and it was still not filling like I expected. Double and triple checked my scale but everything was right. The BP charges thrown by my uniflow were right on. Decided to dispense with the kicker for now and loaded a straight 100gr charge of Swiss.

Is Swiss denser than say Goex? Could that be a culprit. I usually load heavier bullets, 500-600gr, in the 50-90 so perhaps that is the explanation...

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Swiss No. 3 Weight to Volume?
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
The short answer is yes.  It is better to measure BP by volume, not weight.  I just ran a short test with 4 different types of BP using my Belding and Mull measure.  I started with the same amount of powder in the hopper and my 45 cal charge tube.  Here are the results.

1999 Goex Ctg    79.6 gr
1999? Goex 2F    69.6
2018? Swiss 3F    67.3
2018? Swiff 1.5F  69.4

I have some old 1974 Goex 2F tucked away that is noticeably lighter that the newer stuff.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2023 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
When I try a new powder or a different lot, I throw charges and drop them through my 36" drop tube.  Then I adjust the volume to achieve the desired amount of compression using the arbitrary scale on my "calibrated" Lee hand press. 

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 8:56am
Print Post  
This morning I took a black powder volume measure to compare with thrown charges from the Uniflo. The volume measure is one of those with a cut-off/funnel at the top. I poured charges into it directly from the powder bottle and then "cut" the charge off using the top piece and poured the contents into the scale pan for weighing. The 90gr charges from the volume measure were consistently 91-92grs in weight. 100gr charges were 101-102grs. I attribute this slight difference more to the manufacturing tolerances of the volume measure than to the actual weight to volume of the powder.

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint