Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Navy Arms 50-140 Roller (Read 2675 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Navy Arms 50-140 Roller
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2023 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I have a .50-110, had another one I sold here to I can't remember who a while back.  

At the risk of getting that same "Big difference between a 50-90 and a 50-140 in internal case capacity", I'll say that it's not an unreasonable rifle to shoot.  My standard load is 114 of Goex express, and a 740 grain bullet.  

I don't shoot it in preference to my .45-90's, only tried to shoot it in a match once, at Alliance NE for the 1000 yard.  In practice, I found my bullets wouldn't chamber reliably, so I shot the .45 instead.  I should load up a couple hundred rounds and try it out one of these days.

A lot of people have trouble handling even lighter recoiling rifles, particularly if they see the big case first.  One of my favorite rifles is my Fields Patent .450 3- 1/4".  I used to take it to the range with 20 loaded cartridges (all the brass I used to have).  I made up a charging elephant full size target that we'd put up at 30 yards, where the rifle is regulated to.  We'd all step up to the line, bring up the rifle and take one snap shot offhand.  Walk down to the target and sign the bullet hole.  Closest to the 2" kill zone took the target and bragging rights home.  A lot of onlookers at the range wanted to try it.  I'm amazed at how many missed the 4 foot elephant head target altogether, at 30 yards.  I could usually put the shot within or very close to the 2" kill zone, as could a couple other of the regulars.  The .450 is really quite tame, it uses a 360 grain or so bullet behind about 105 grains of 2f.  

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2023 at 9:57am by ssdave »  

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 7:55am
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Nov 21st, 2023 at 8:47pm:
I have a .50-110, had another one I sold here to I can't remember who a while back.  

At the risk of getting that same "Big difference between a 50-90 and a 50-140 in internal case capacity", I'll say that it's not an unreasonable rifle to shoot.  My standard load is 114 of Goex express, and a 740 grain bullet.  

I don't shoot it in preference to my .45-90's, only tried to shoot it in a match once, at Alliance NE for the 1000 yard.  In practice, I found my bullets wouldn't chamber reliably, so I shot the .45 instead.  I should load up a couple hundred rounds and try it out one of these days.

A lot of people have trouble handling even lighter recoiling rifles, particularly if they see the big case first.  One of my favorite rifles is my Fields Patent .450 3- 1/4".  I used to take it to the range with 20 loaded cartridges (all the brass I used to have).  I made up a charging elephant full size target that we'd put up at 30 yards, where the rifle is regulated to.  We'd all step up to the line, bring up the rifle and take one snap shot offhand.  Walk down to the target and sign the bullet hole.  Closest to the 2" kill zone took the target and bragging rights home.  A lot of onlookers at the range wanted to try it.  I'm amazed at how many missed the 4 foot elephant head target altogether, at 20 yards.  I could usually put the shot within or very close to the 2" kill zone, as could a couple other of the regulars.  The .450 is really quite tame, it uses a 360 grain or so bullet behind about 105 grains of 2f.  

Picture(s) of the target?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Black powder works ok. Problem start when someone loads too small smokeless charge in cavernous case. .
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Flatlander wrote on Nov 22nd, 2023 at 8:30am:
Black powder works ok. Problem start when someone loads too small smokeless charge in cavernous case. .
Flatlander

how so?

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Too large area with too small powder charge causes erratic primer flash powder ignition and pressure spikes. Powder lays in bottom of case with empty air space. If you load smokeless in any of the old large black powder cases I wish you the best as I have seen bad things happen. I'll say nothing more. No arguments.
Flatlander
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2023 at 7:42am by Flatlander »  

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Flatlander wrote on Nov 23rd, 2023 at 7:36am:
Too large area with too small powder charge causes erratic primer flash powder ignition and pressure spikes. Powder lays in bottom of case with empty air space. If you load smokeless in any of the old large black powder cases I wish you the best as I have seen bad things happen. I'll say nothing more. No arguments.
Flatlander

I load 50-90  45-70 to BP pressure with smokless for about 40 years, so far accuracy great and guns and shooter in fine shape.Not to mention the 416 Rigby and 375 h&h.
Great theory but my experience is different

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2023 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Cbashooter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2023 at 1:24pm:
Flatlander wrote on Nov 23rd, 2023 at 7:36am:
Flatlander

I load 50-90  45-70 to BP pressure with smokless for about 40 years, so far accuracy great and guns and shooter in fine shape.Not to mention the 416 Rigby and 375 h&h.
Great theory but my experience is different

When I boke down loaded .50-140 rounds I got with my Sharps that were loaded by Eldorado Custom Loading in Boulder, Nv. back 30 years ago I found rolled up tissue paper filler stacked above the charge of 4198 powder! I was a bit surprised as I avoid such things, and wondered how they might have shot? But I was too scared to try them as the data showed the load to be 1650 fps with a 678 gr. bullet, and didn't appeal to my shoulder, or my Sharps.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Nov 27th, 2023 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Warning note from Shiloh Sharps.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged