Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A High Wall in .30-06 (Read 2555 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A High Wall in .30-06
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2024 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
guilty gil wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 8:33pm:
I Am kinda of a highwall guy & i am interested in the button on the side of reciever & saftey in the hamner. I don't have a lot if reference books to check out, but i would like to know more about those variations if anyone would like to explain.

Here is a link of when this rifle was discussed on the WACA website last August.  As you can see, not a lot of agreement and the discussion got a little heated. Smiley  Even a well respected 1885 historian had it wrong. All 27 were also not identical.  Some were pistol gripped and some were straight grip.  Some had cork, Palm rests and some didn't.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2024 at 11:32pm by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

rifleman

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 4:23pm:
Adam, Thanks for that great information which helps solve some of the mystery on these rifles. Is this show the one that's normally held about this time of the year in Sioux Falls, or is this the later one?  I haven't  been to either in about 5 years.

Souix Fall show has usually been mid February but last year was moved to late March

IP Logged

adamrl

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I Am kinda of a highwall guy & i am interested in the button on the side of reciever & saftey in the hamner. I don't have a lot if reference books to check out, but i would like to know more about those variations if anyone would like to explain.

The "button" on the side of the receiver is actually a screw which holds in place a spring that extends forward on the inside of the receiver wall and operates the rimless extractor. 

The hammer lock is also a spring activated stop that prevents the hammer from moving in a rearward direction without either the extended tab on top of the hammer being pushed down to compress the spring (allowing the hammer to be cocked), or the lever being operated normally which allows the hammer to move with the breach block, and return to the full cocked position upon closing.   

Photos of both the extractor mechanism and the hammer interlock are featured in the Winchester Collector magazine, Winter 2024 edition.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Thanks, That clears up a lot of misinformation that has been published over many years.

IP Logged

guilty gil
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
I must do about the same thing, but i drill in from front of reciever & attach spring to front of reciever & route it in groove along side of breach block.

IP Logged

adamrl

Reply #20 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
guilty gil wrote on Feb 23rd, 2024 at 6:15pm:
I must do about the same thing, but i drill in from front of reciever & attach spring to front of reciever & route it in groove along side of breach block.

I see that you're in Livingston MT.  I'm in Billings.  Next time that you're in Billings, let me know, and I'll give you a first hand look at how it operates.

rogeradam.mt@gmail.com

IP Logged

guilty gil
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
I don't get down there very often, but put info. Away for future. Thanks

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2024 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Feb 22nd, 2024 at 11:02pm:

Here is a link of when this rifle was discussed on the WACA website last August.  As you can see, not a lot of agreement and the discussion got a little heated. Smiley  Even a well respected 1885 historian had it wrong. All 27 were also not identical.  Some were pistol gripped and some were straight grip.  Some had cork, Palm rests and some didn't.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bert H sounds like an arrogant know it all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint