Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need some barrel advice on a new build (Read 2674 times)
ScrapMetal

Re: Need some barrel advice on a new build
Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2023 at 1:18am
Print Post  
Thank you Dave.  I've never really looked at the long range competitions like that and it certainly puts me in a different mindset on how to approach building a rifle.

I've got to admit though that it also gives me a bit of anxiety.  Why?  Well I, for the vast majority of the time, shoot alone.  No shooting buddies (ie. no spotters), etc.  If I asked her to my wife would try but she would struggle at best.  It won't stop me from making or shooting though, I just have to temper my expectations a bit.  I just enjoy shooting.

I see that BRC is offering "choked barrels".  Does it help?  I guess I don't understand the reasoning very well.  How does deforming the bullet even more before leaving the barrel result in better accuracy?

FWIW - The next week and half my schedule is going to be very chaotic so if I don't answer back right away, I am sorry.

ssdave - I did see your note about the barrel and I've got it under consideration.  It might take me a bit to get "my ducks in a row" here so if you have the opportunity please go ahead.  If I do decide for it I'll let you know and if it's too late, well, that's on me.  Thank you.

Best regards,

-Ron

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2023 at 7:05am
Print Post  
BRC are also good barrels. I believe they are also point cut rifling like RKS barrels.

Accuracy is affected by different amounts of gas cutting around the bullet which results in a variation of velocities between bullets plus the gas cutting will erode some of the lead causing it to stick to the barrel which we call leading.
The lead fouled barrel will affect the bullet's flight.

We use bullets wider than the barrel's groove-to-grove diameter to get a good seal which prevents the gases from cutting around the bullet.

Choking continues to produce a seal around the bullet in case any gases have started to squeeze around the bullet in travel down the barrel.

Reduced lead fouling plus consistent gas pressures results in better accuracy which is helped by choking that better ensures a well sealed bullet base as it travels the length of the barrel.

I have seen many wife spotter teams that work very well. It is simply a matter of giving it a try and other shooters will help you develop at every shoot you both attend. And as a couple you will develop long life friendships with many of the other couples who always attend the shoots. 

You both will really enjoy it.
Frequently the wife ends up wanting her own rifle too.

DEADEYE would you like to comment about how your wife shooting partnership developed.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2023 at 7:14am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2024 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Dave,

My reply is about 9 months late but I still wanted to say thanks for your post, especially the "choking" explanation.  That will really come in handy.

Best regards,

-Ron

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2024 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Another vote for RKS barrels. Ron made a .40 caliber gain twist for me in SS and it chambered in .40-65. Just starting to work up a PP load and it’s showing promise, photo below. Another choice is Rice barrels in NC. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links).
Cheers Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint