Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How NOT to Dissasemble Your Highwall (Read 3342 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

How NOT to Dissasemble Your Highwall
Jun 25th, 2023 at 9:08am
Print Post  
FIRST, THIS DID NOT HAPPEN AT THE QUIGLY but a shooter had it on his table for display.  45-70 loaded with smokeless powder.  Don't have the particulars so not going to guess what may have caused it.  This guy was lucky in that he was a left handed shooter which saved his face.  They never found the missing piece of the sidewall.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Re: How NOT to Dissasemble Your Highwall
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Sure looks like an awfully short barrel ?

Rick

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Barrel was probably sawed off for convenience.

The guy said it was a Pedersoli Highwall, but the casehardening pattern looked aftermarket to me.  I remarked to him that the broken metal looked what used to be called “crystallized,” like those notorious blown-up low-number Springfield 03s.

The teachers in the Color Casehardening class at Lassen College stressed that the process shouldn’t be applied to some of the modern alloys used for replica firearms, and if we didn’t know the analysis of the steel in whatever we were putting through the process, we were asking for trouble.

Casehardening puts a glass-hard “skin” of high-carbon steel over a core of mild machinery steel.  The skin resists wear, while the low-carbon core remains tough and resilient.  Casehardening an alloy which hardens clear through upon heat treatment makes it glass-hard all the way through the structure, and it can shatter like glass as well. Slap-happy smokeless loading practices in a gun heat-treated like that would guarantee a catastrophe, sooner or later.

A shooter named Itchkawitch down in San Diego had his refurbished original Highwall come apart like that, and I recall a Stevens 44-1/2 that had been surface-ground to remove pitting and then rehardened failed in the same way; the one sidewall blowing out and the block in place.  Leaving thin sections of mild steel in the hardening process too long would deepen the carbonized surface to a dangerous level, with the same outcome.

I refrained from asking the exact smokeless load used in the gun shown.  The guy at the Quigley a few years ago with the cracked and swollen Pedersoli Sharps got quite huffy at my “morbid curiosity,” and put the wreck away afterwards.  I don’t know what his problem was; the Institute Of Makers Of Explosives members used to report every detail of every incident to the membership in order to keep it from happening again.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Yes!

IP Logged

RAM
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Wow interesting pics. On the High wall I see that the threaded portion of the barrel is also severely distorted. It looks like it is mainly on the side of the receiver that failed. I suppose once the side of the receiver failed the barrel alone also gave way? In your opinion Would have black powder load levels been safe in this rifle ? or do you think it would have still failed?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
The high wall in the original post was not a case of a bad action; it was a case of total incompetence in loading.  The story was the shooter heard that 5744 was a good substitute for blackpowder; he loaded it the same way he did black, by filling the case to just above the bullet base and then compressing it slightly.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Jun 25th, 2023 at 8:03pm:
The high wall in the original post was not a case of a bad action; it was a case of total incompetence in loading.  The story was the shooter heard that 5744 was a good substitute for blackpowder; he loaded it the same way he did black, by filling the case to just above the bullet base and then compressing it slightly. 

Thanks for the further info Dave! 
Once again a case where had you not added that info the blowup would be blamed on using smokeless powder, instead of someone not knowing how to safely reload.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 25th, 2023 at 8:14pm:
ssdave wrote on Jun 25th, 2023 at 8:03pm:

Thanks for the further info Dave! 
Once again a case where had you not added that info the blowup would be blamed on using smokeless powder, instead of someone not knowing how to safely reload.

Like you Val I shoot 99% of my old cartridges with appropriate low pressure snokless and am very careful.I will say with BP your error in overcharging is minimal .But blown up guns are a reloading error not necessarily the powders fault.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
We often use the term "black powder substitute" to refer to powders, such as pyrodex, which can be loaded basically just like black powder. The owner made a mistake, but it could happen to anyone. I admonish new reloaders to never us a load that is not supported by a loading manual, but I have to admit I have not always followed that advice. I started shooting a powder based on the recommendation of a forum member which was not listed in any loading manual for the cartridge which I used it in. So far, so good, but I dont think I would do it again. 
At any rate, I hope the owner knows how lucky he is: no one got hurt. The equipment can be replaced. 
Keep this in mind: familiarity breeds contempt. The more we think we know, the more likely we are to let our guard down, so the moral of the story is be as careful as you can at all times, whether re-loading, shooting, cleaning etc. There is little margin for error, and anyone can make a mistake, I have made more than I care to admit and have been lucky each time. 
Joe S

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2023 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Joe_S wrote on Jun 25th, 2023 at 10:27pm:
We often use the term "black powder substitute" to refer to powders, such as pyrodex, which can be loaded basically just like black powder. The owner made a mistake, but it could happen to anyone. I admonish new reloaders to never us a load that is not supported by a loading manual, but I have to admit I have not always followed that advice. I started shooting a powder based on the recommendation of a forum member which was not listed in any loading manual for the cartridge which I used it in. So far, so good, but I dont think I would do it again. 
At any rate, I hope the owner knows how lucky he is: no one got hurt. The equipment can be replaced. 
Keep this in mind: familiarity breeds contempt. The more we think we know, the more likely we are to let our guard down, so the moral of the story is be as careful as you can at all times, whether re-loading, shooting, cleaning etc. There is little margin for error, and anyone can make a mistake, I have made more than I care to admit and have been lucky each time. 
Joe S

Prior to using a ballistic program to check loads, I always checked multiple manuals for load data to confirm they all gave close, or similar results. That's the way I was taught when my mentor pointed out two old Ideal or Lyman manuals with the exact same velocity, but one was almost twice as large powder charge. Obviously an error, but to a new loader, I bet someone back then using the load got a big surprise in their .44 Magnum handgun!
With my ballistic program I just punch in the powder, bullet weight, and cartridge, and it will not just tell me if it's safe, but also if it's a good enough load to burn efficiently, and keep deviations small.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2023 at 9:35am
Print Post  
A side note on the powder ballistic programs; a novice reloader I knew was the first in the community with a program and was boosting about how he could beat the listed loads at first try. All was well until he landed on a load using IMR 4895. He came by one day with a frozen bolt, asked for assistance and after getting the bolt to release the fired case was swollen greatly and the primer fell out of the pocket. He showed me the powder program and after a review I finally remembered the old Powley slide rule calculator had caused similar problems because they never updated the changes to the powder. Modern day IMR 4895 is a much faster burning powder than that back in the day when the Powley originated and it was obvious the person that wrote the computer application used the Powley as their reference. One can only guess how many experienced similar problems but as always start low and work up when using new loads.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2023 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I've not run into this issue with my program. Not only does it give good loads, but it also shows a graph of what pressure will be, and the pressure curve on the graph also.
So when I look at a load and see what the max pressure is, I can see if it's a gentle rise, or a sharp rise to that pressure. I have passed on using some smokeless powders that show acceptable pressures, simply because the curve was too fast to get there, and other powders had nice slow ramps up to max pressure.
I shoot a lot of 4198 in both H and IMR in my old guns simply because the pressure rise is about as close to perfect as anything I've seen, and max pressure is always well below what the old actions are good for.

IP Logged

oldstarfire
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2023 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
I'm sure this has been asked, but what programs are recommended by the folks here?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2023 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
oldstarfire wrote on Jun 26th, 2023 at 12:50pm:
I'm sure this has been asked, but what programs are recommended by the folks here?

Most people I know who use a program use Quickload, and seem to like it. I had a friend tell me about a free reloading program at Gordon's Reloading Tool and I downloaded that program. Even if it wasn't free, I'd still consider purchasing it as it's got some features the others don't have, and I like it.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 26th, 2023 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I don't know it it is a Pedersoli or not. It looks to be a leaf spring model by the lug on the barrel. If you look closely you can see how thin the metal was at the bottom of the barrel. Coil spring actions have a lot more metal in this area. The blowout on the barrel looks to be at the 7 o'clock position. I don't know if it was on overload, cracked receiver or brittle mat'l in the receiver. More info is needed to really know what happened.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint