Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard question (Read 2861 times)
.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Re: Ballard question
Reply #30 - Jul 19th, 2023 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
That area of NJ (Elizabeth, Newark, Kearny, and Jersey City, over to Staten Island) had a very active community of matches and shooters. This rifle was certainly shot a lot, judging by the wear in the bore and feckled nickeling on the receiver and lever. 
FYI, the rifle has a #3 full octagon Winchester barrel on it. It is presently 30” long, so I’m thinking it must have at least 32” before it was cut down and put on this rifle.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2023 at 7:39am
Print Post  
Very interesting rifle indeed. Would it be possible to dis-assemble the sub-breech block which holds the trigger and see the arrangement of internal levers?

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2023 at 10:25am
Print Post  
wcf3840 wrote on Jun 12th, 2023 at 3:49pm:
It's not a take down pin. It has a fairly heavy spring inside which pushes it against the lever. When I took the breech block out the whole unit fell right out.

WCF,
I was able to spend a little time with a Ballard nearly identical to yours some time ago, without the plunger in place there was a tiny bit of lever droop.  The lever still cammed over and gave "Ballard snap" but then it drooped from the action about an 1/8" The plunger kept the lever up to the action when in place.  In my opinion, someone that was used to working on coil spring high walls had a hand in working on this.  Smiley
Regards,
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

wcf3840
Senior Forum Member

ASSRA Life #299

Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2023 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Thanks, Greg.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint