Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is my Stevens .22 model 418 breech block correct? (Read 699 times)
22_boomer

Is my Stevens .22 model 418 breech block correct?
Jun 2nd, 2023 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
I got a Stevens 1915 Favorite receiver and started collecting parts for it. One problem was finding a 1915 type .22 caliber breech block but I did find a model 418 block in .22 caliber. When it arrived the first thing I noticed was the firing pin hole was at the 9:00 O'clock position! Is this normal for the Stevens model 418?
There is no firing pin and I would guess it takes a round nose pin but is there anything special I need to know.

Thanks,
Boomer

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: Is my Stevens .22 model 418 breech block correct?
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Yes that is correct for a model 418. I am not 100 percent positive  that a firing pin for a 1915 favorite will work, it might be a little bit too short.

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll measure the block front to back at the firing pin location and see if it measures like a standard 1915 pin. If not, I'll contact one of those parts companies that make Stevens stuff and see if they might have one. 

Again, Thanks,
Boomer

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
The 1915 is almost completely different from the 1894 style. Lever and especially the link are wider.  The breechblock and lever pivot screws are different diameters. and are longer.  Hammers do not interchange, und-und-und.

I wish I had a 418 breechblock!  The idea was to move the firing pin strike off the "cushion" of the extractor.  Ignition would be at least marginally more consistent.

If you use a new or relined barrel, chamber it with a tight competition reamer, (i.e. Lilja or Anschutz, but not Bentz), and it will shoot extremely well for a "toy" rifle.

<div class=

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
22_boomer wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 6:02pm:
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll measure the block front to back at the firing pin location and see if it measures like a standard 1915 pin. If not, I'll contact one of those parts companies that make Stevens stuff and see if they might have one. 

Again, Thanks,
Boomer

Since the firing pin is at 9 o’clock rather than 6 o’clock, the firing pin is at a bit more of an angle in the breech block, that is why I think a 418 firing pin might be just a little bit longer and a 1915 favorite pin might be a little bit short. However a favorite firing pin might work just fine.

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 7:46am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 7:33pm:
The 1915 is almost completely different from the 1894 style. Lever and especially the link are wider.  The breechblock and lever pivot screws are different diameters. and are longer.  Hammers do not interchange, und-und-und.

I wish I had a 418 breechblock!  The idea was to move the firing pin strike off the "cushion" of the extractor.  Ignition would be at least marginally more consistent.

If you use a new or relined barrel, chamber it with a tight competition reamer, (i.e. Lilja or Anschutz, but not Bentz), and it will shoot extremely well for a "toy" rifle.   

Go to Numrich Arms and look up the 418 or 418 walnut hill. They have the .22 418 bbbbreech blocks -- that is where mine is from and it's like new. The link I got is a 1915 favorite plus pins from (I think) Jack First. I'm hoping that the hammer and trigger can be the 1915 Favorite but the 418 link is different. This is a personal rifle just for me. I am disabled and can't go to a range so if I can make it to the backyard I have a 10 meter range. The round barrel is very heavy to stop my shaky hands and 26.5 inches long. I wanted to install a Germen butt plate with the lower hook but I think it would be a bit too much.

Thank you for the info,
boomer

IP Logged

22_boomer

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 9:15pm:
22_boomer wrote on Jun 2nd, 2023 at 6:02pm:

Again, Thanks,
Boomer

Since the firing pin is at 9 o’clock rather than 6 o’clock, the firing pin is at a bit more of an angle in the breech block, that is why I think a 418 firing pin might be just a little bit longer and a 1915 favorite pin might be a little bit short. However a favorite firing pin might work just fine.

I can see your point and the 418 firing pin is not easy to find. I did notice that one of the aftermarket parts companies had shown firing pins of different lengths so I may call and ask if they make a correct length pin for my 418 block.

Thanks,
Boomer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint