Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help Identify & Understand Peterlongo Rifle (Read 1064 times)
Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Help Identify & Understand Peterlongo Rifle
May 30th, 2023 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
I am hoping some of our German Falling Block collectors see this.

I have a rifle that is engraved "PETERLONGO INNSB ..." and "...IROLER WAFFENFABRIK" on the barrel. The proof marks are clearly stamped.

I went through the Loos, Hallock, Rowe Alte Scheibenwaffen volumes but don't see this lesser grade rifle listed.

(1) What action is this?
(2) can we tell what caliber it is from the proofmarks? It's larger than .22 and smaller than .250". I don't have a smaller set of pin gauges to measure the bore.

The rifle is entirely matte finished and I am guessing that means it was refinished. It has a standard rifle buttstock and a full-length forend.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.
Joe

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Re: Help Identify & Understand Peterlongo Rifle
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2023 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
. .

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2023 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
If it looks like this when it is open, it could be what deHaas called a Kettner. They come both with flat sides and with the reinforce. Mine, in the photo, was made by Greifelt. The breech end can be straight down like yours or shortened at the top and left long at the bottom like mine. They are very strong actions. There is not enough information on your proof marks to tell what it is chambered in. If it is .228 it could be a 22 Savage Hi-Power. You'll have to cast it to know if it is one of the 6mm.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2023 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Johann PETERLONGO was a gunsmith/gun maker who worked in the late-19th/early-20th century in INNSBruck, Austria.  His "factory" was the TIROLER WAFFENFABRIK, or to give it its formal full name the Tiroler Waffenfabrik Peterlongo Richard Mahrholdt & Sohn.  Richard Mahrholdt is usually credited with being the brains of the outfit.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2023 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 30th, 2023 at 6:01pm:
If it looks like this when it is open, it could be what deHaas called a Kettner. They come both with flat sides and with the reinforce. Mine, in the photo, was made by Greifelt. The breech end can be straight down like yours or shortened at the top and left long at the bottom like mine. They are very strong actions. There is not enough information on your proof marks to tell what it is chambered in. If it is .228 it could be a 22 Savage Hi-Power. You'll have to cast it to know if it is one of the 6mm.

I read the proof marks as indicating the bore diameter was 5.8 mm. That's .228. My understanding is that the barrels were proofed before rifling.  Probably a 6 mm, but from there only a chamber cast will tell.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2023 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Austrian proof marks were different from German ones. The bore diameter was not used on Austrian guns. Basically all that is here is that it was nitro proofed in Ferlach (the NPF) and under that the final black powder proof in Ferlach (the 1 on the shield in the eagle). The other numbers look to be a combination of maker and a serial or proof number and year. (Proofs of Austrian guns done during WWII were the standard German ones which aren't here.)
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2023 at 12:53am by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 3:03am
Print Post  
Kettner is an Austrian chain like Frankonia Jagd in Germany or Eddie Bauer in the U.S. Kettner was always to economy version of Frankonia, didn;t matter if it was guns, hunting equipment of clothing. At one time they marketed a lot of lower grade guns with or without the Kettner name on them. In the 1960-80's they had several lines of rebuilt Mauser 98's same as Frankonia. Typically they bent and ground the bolt handles down to clear scopes but they did not lengthen them properly. I always thought they looked a bit like hobby-gunsmith work. Anyway, last time I saw a Kettner store in Germany was in 1993-4. They pulled back and looks like now they are only in Austria with two stores in Croatia.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Looks like my Kittner action

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
DeHass called it a "Kettner" in his single shot action book because that was the only name that was on the rifle he examined and it has stuck as the generic name for that action. Mine is marked barrel and action with Greifelt and the corresponding griffon trademark.

IP Logged

85lc

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Do you have a picture of the action opened and also with the block removed?

NRA Life Member, ASSRA Life Member, GGCA Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint