Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Need help with barrel profile on Borchardt build (Read 542 times)
vol717

Need help with barrel profile on Borchardt build
Jun 1st, 2023 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I'm having a 30-40 Krag built on a nice Borchardt action. The barreled action was returned to me for stocking and I think the barrel is too fat. The barrel is 24-1/2" long from the action with a 8-1/4" octagon section and the rest round. The octagon is .985 across the flats and the round section is .965 at the octagon, .700 at the muzzle. I think there needs to be a wedding ring applied at the end of the octagon on the round section, then a smaller diameter started there and tapered to the muzzle. I'd like to hear suggestions on dimensions that would make the round section more appealing.  I'll post photos soon.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need help with barrel profile on Borchardt build
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
In my opinion, the octagon section is to straight.  Looks like a couple thousandths per inch taper in the octagon versus 16 in the round section.  I would say this is the reason for the fat look.  I try to taper both sections roughly the same per inch.  Looks to me like you could change it to .012 per inch total (both sections) and that would correct what you aren’t liking.  One thing you don’t want to do is get the muzzle so small the barrel looks like a pencil.  I think your octagon section may also be to short but, nothing can be done about that now.  I say this, because I calculate the octagon length, and forearm length, according the the total length of the gun.  So if it’s a short gun it might be fine.
Bob
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2023 at 12:16pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

wesg
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
My opinion, but I think they look better with the same taper. Maybe not 'traditional', but along with a lot of other 'traditions', I think it's a manufacturing 'shortcut' that's been carried on for ... a Century or more?

Why? Again, my dumb opinion, easier to mill, and easier to cut a forearm to match ...

And ... I think a tulip breech looks massively better, but harder to inlet and needs enough breech face to work.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
My opinion is that a 0.265" taper in just over 16" is too much and it's no wonder the barrel looks fat.  Mr. Warren offers the best solution, I think.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

vol717

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
At this juncture i'd just like to reduce the diameter of the round section adjacent to the octagon to about .875 then run a straight taper to the .700 muzzle. What would be appropriate dimensions and profile for a wedding ring transition?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint