Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fired the new Heat-Treat oven today! (Read 1837 times)
idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Fired the new Heat-Treat oven today!
May 29th, 2023 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
After some looking around I deciced to buy one of the Hot-Shot 1200 programmable heat treat ovens last year. 1200 refers to the internal volume - 12x10x10. Been super busy at work and around the house, but today I'm finally running it through the conditioning cycle which anneals the heating element in the end after several stepped heat soaks. Looking forward to using this puppy!

This oven has a secondary shell around it so it remains cool to touch... temp in the plenum is monitored and cooled with fans as needed.

Today is also the last day of 20% off sale at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ... in case anyone is interested?

Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Fired the new Heat-Treat oven today!
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2023 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Congrats Jeff.  I should have bought one last fall when they were on sale.  Apparently American Rotary bought this company and completely redesigned the furnace.  I have one of their rotary phase converters and it has been flawless so far, so I would guess this will also be a very good product.  I’m looking had at the 360, not sure I need the larger 1200.  I would also go with the upgraded controller.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

curdog

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2023 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
I've had a computer controlled heat treat oven for 20 years, now. I do not know what I would do without it.
Sure does take all the witchcraft out of heat treating!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2023 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
On the actual American Rotary web sight they are NOT giving the 20% discount on the ovens but ARE on phase conveters, at least some, just in case someone might be interested.  Same discount code.  remember20 
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2023 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
The discount code works on the (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) website... knocked off over $500 from the HS1200 with gas kit. 
Yes, Bob... I bought mine when they had the intro pricing and had them add a 12' SO cable and NEMA 6-20 plug for an extra fee.
I do like the wireless feature of the new controller but it wasn't offered initially...
It's run though the initial program now and is cooling ... down to ~350F last I checked.
Cheers!
Jeff P

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2023 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
The Kiln are very handy for annealing and heat treating. I bought this small Paragon barely used several years ago. It’s small but all of my actions will fit in it.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2023 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
idjeffp wrote on May 29th, 2023 at 12:41pm:
After some looking around I deciced to buy one of the Hot-Shot 1200 programmable heat treat ovens last year. 1200 refers to the internal volume - 12x10x10. Been super busy at work and around the house, but today I'm finally running it through the conditioning cycle which anneals the heating element in the end after several stepped heat soaks. Looking forward to using this puppy!

This oven has a secondary shell around it so it remains cool to touch... temp in the plenum is monitored and cooled with fans as needed.

Today is also the last day of 20% off sale at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ... in case anyone is interested?

Cheers!
Jeff P

You mean you plugged it in? Turned it on?  Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2023 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Yes, plugged it in, turned power ON and ran the conditioning program as prescribed.
JP

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Looks like I’m in the heat treat business now!  Just bought a 360 on the scratch and dent sale.  They had the scratch and dent units on sale a couple weeks ago also, during the regular sale, but today they are another $300 cheaper than then.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Congrats Bob!
Did you get the PRO controller or the standard like mine? Thinking you'll like it alot  Smiley
Jeff P
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2023 at 12:50pm by idjeffp »  

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Jeff, I took it with the original controller.  I probably don’t need anything fancy while learning how to use it.  They say it might have some scratches and has the old paint color, but has not been fired up and I will need to do the breakin.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Hey BobW,
I like the original controller on mine just fine. Yours being a 120vac unit is even more convenient wrt placement.
IIRC I started the conditioning/annealing program around 9am and it finished around 1:30pm but I also let it cool on it's own which took several more hours - I chose to leave the door closed until cooled. When I finally opened the door, the displayed temp was down to just over 100 F.
As stated in the literature, they say the initial "bake-out" smells are pretty strong so I'm glad I had it outside.
JP

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
curdog wrote on May 29th, 2023 at 1:34pm:
I've had a computer controlled heat treat oven for 20 years, now. I do not know what I would do without it.
Sure does take all the witchcraft out of heat treating!

Double dittos.  Mine's a good bit smaller, so I can't fit most receivers into it, but it does springs and internal parts with ease on a 15A 110vac outlet.  One of the best tool purchases ever.

<div class=

IP Logged

TheGimp
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Ooooo! Those look really nice.

However at the price, I think I will stay with the one I made over 20 years ago.

It is good to 2300F, and uses  an N type thermocouple driving a simple Op-Amp comparitor and reference with one knob adjustment. I used an Omega digital thermometer for calibration. Kind of klugy, but it seems to work.

Steven

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they Aren't out to get me!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2023 at 11:35am
Print Post  
wow, Gimp, all those parts and pieces you are using for twenty years are way in advance of my tech savy. I barely know how to strick a wooden match. good job, man Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint