Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard Sear Spring (Read 1300 times)
Myers
Senior Forum Member

Ballard Sear Spring
May 20th, 2023 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I am having a difficult time making a sear spring that will last. I have used spring steel and after three or four times function firing the spring becomes fatigued.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Sear Spring
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2023 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I made one from a piece of bandsaw blade that has worked in one of my rifles for a long time.  BUT, I tried the same thing with the same bandsaw blade and have been having the same issue. I did not have to heat treat the first one but finally did it to the problem one. So far it is holding (knock on wood). It like to work in my shop but not so much at the range. I will be following this thread to see how the others have addressed this. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2023 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Keith, is it a double set trigger action?

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2023 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Yes sir double set triggers. I tried heat treating three types of spring steel and they became brittle.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2023 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
What’s your process of heat treating?  What’s the actual spring steel you are using?  I just made a spring .030 thick from 1075 and works good.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2023 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
I tried two different types of spring steel. The first was from a binder spring clip. The second was flat spring used in the tattoo industry. Almost forget the one I made from a 1911 spring.
I made them as is without heat treating and that's when they would lose their spring memory.  Then I tried hardening them to bright red and dropping in oil. They all became brittle from that process.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2023 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Keith, my father was a pack rat and so am I. What I have used with success is half of a broken colt trigger/bolt spring from a single-action. I just ground off the extra steel and pushed the spring into the slot.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2023 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
The types of steel may need special treatment.  But, just heating red and quenching is not a finished spring.  I heat the 1075 to bright red, non magnetic, then quench.  It will be very brittle at this point, a file will not cut it.  Then, now days, I temper in lead at a temp between 625 and 650 for 20-25 minutes.  I use to use a different process at a lower temp and sometimes the spring would still be too brittle.  Finish at to high a temper temperature and the spring will be too soft and won’t hold its shape.  Many people temper around 700 and that apparently works just fine also.

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2023 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Therein lies the truth: tempering. As I read the responses I kept thinking "when's someone gonna say how they draw the temper after initial heat/quench?

I needed to fabricate this exact spring last year, for a Pacific Ballard. I shaped it out of a hacksaw blade, heat until magnet won't attract it, oil quench. Polish scale off it (so as to accurately gauge the color shift when re-heating it, if doing such by eye), re-heat until blue/brown starting to shift to red color, oil quench again. Springiest spring you ever did see. It has withstood hundreds of cyclings now, but I hedged my bets and made two more which ride along in my shooting kit - one for me and one for someone else if a cry goes up from down the firing line.

IP Logged

Duck_Rider

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2023 at 10:05am
Print Post  
A technique I got from an English publication in the early 1970's was to heat the spring steel to cherry red (or non-magnetic), quench in oil. Then place in a shallow metal container on its side, cover with light motor oil (he said whale oil) light the oil & let it burn off. Have used this method many times & has always worked.
Harry

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2023 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I use to use the oil burn off method, and it worked well most of the time.  But, I had a real struggle with the method making a main spring for the sharps rifle.  You can read about the struggle in the Sharps Pistol Rifle thread.  I now use the lead for tempering, as other suggested, and have really good luck.  I feel I have much more control over the process.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2023 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I haven’t had to make very many springs, but have done few. Like most of you I heat them to cherry red and quench in oil. To bring it back to temper I put them in my small furnace at 650 degrees for about 20 minutes. Also like to use hacksaw blades if the thickness is about right.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2023 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
If you make springs from used hacksaw or bandsaw blades, make sure they are the cheaper carbon steel type, not the more expensive bi-metal blades.
The bi-metal blades cut better and last longer than the carbon steel type, but don't work for springs.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint