Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Barrel lapping (Read 424 times)
yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Barrel lapping
May 20th, 2023 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I have a German schuetzen rifle with a dark bore, I believe lapping will improve it, any suggestions on products and how to go about it?
Mike

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel lapping
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2023 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I'd start by plugging it and filling the bore with evaporust to remove the rust chemically without affecting the steel.  Then, brush with bronze to clean up the carbon on the surface left by the rust removal.  Then, push a tight patch through and see if you can determine where tight/rough spots are.

At that point, knowing the tight spots, I'd lap with JB bore paste on a tight patch only in the observed tight spots, and once they seem better, do the entire barrel more.   You always want to overlap the final lapping sequence from the breech end, to taper lap the bore towards the muzzle.  Start with lapping from the breech forward 1/3 of the barrel length.  After 30 to 50 strokes, reloading with JB when it doesn't seem to be "cutting", do another sequence at 2/3 length, and finish with a sequence going right to the muzzle.

IP Logged

craigster
Oldtimer

Re: Barrel lapping
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2023 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Is the bore in fact rusted? If not, I'd clean it first with Wipeout (or other) foam bore cleaner. Once you get it down to bare steel, proceed as ssdave describes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint