Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Breech seating using a 32-40 case (Read 5353 times)
bullshop

Re: Breech seating using a 32-40 case
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2023 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
If you look at a shotgun wad in a shot load you can see that the wad is a compressible filler that contacts both the powder column and the shot cup.  Something you will never see in a shot shell is a wad pressed down on the powder and an empty space between that wad and the shot cup.  Ever wonder why ?  The modern shot wad is nothing more than a compressible filler which is exactly what a Styrofoam filler is a compressible filler.  Both serve the same function in the same way and both are a guarantee  against the proven phenomenon of chamber ringing.  Those that choose to ignore it are a special sort,, God bless you!   

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 24th, 2023 at 1:28am
Print Post  
This was an interesting post on ringing the chamber on the cast bullets forum:
No wad is necessary. All it takes is a significant free airspace in the case and delayed ignition of the charge.

When I was at Camp Perry, OH in 1967 I witnessed DOZENS of M1 Garand rifles which were turned in for rebarreling, after having fired WCC Ball M2 ammunition loaded with WC852 powder (H380) in which a "ring" had formed adjacent the bullet base, partway up the chamber neck. One of the rifles was MINE! I also had a Winchester Model 70 with ringed barrel and the government paid for it to be returned to Winchester for rebarreling.

I have also examined DOZENS of Ruger No.1 single-shots which had been returned to Customer Service, mostly .45-70s, which had been ringed by shooters using wads pushed down against the powder. The service department had sectioned the barrels and had them mounted on the wall at the New Hampshire factory where they were and probably still are plain to see by students attending the police armorer's school. Some rifles had multiple rings corresponding to the bullet base location of various weight bullets they had tried.

Easily-ignited, relatively fast-burning pistol or shotgun powders, having NO deterrent coating, and which tolerate the free airspace in the case, such as Bullseye, Unique, PB, Universal, SR7625, Herco are not the problem.

Most prone to chamber ringing are heavily deterrent coated, spheroidal powders such as 296, H110, 680, 1680, H335, Ball C2, 748, H380, H450, etc. in which there is a high percentage of deterrent coating, and a small particle size in the base grain.

In pressure testing I did attempting to develop suitable .30-'06 loads to operate the M1 Garand, having correct breech and port pressures, using the government test barrel, I was not able to do so with 150-grain bullets using powders such as 748, H335, or Ball C2. I fact, I RINGED THE $5000 government combination breech-port pressure barrel! The results were EXACTLY the same as those observed with the WCC Ball M2 loaded with WC852.

My advice is that if a powder requires use of a filler in order to obtain acceptable ballistic uniformity, than IT IS NOT SUITABLE for those particular conditions of loading.

For reduced rifle charges, lightly deterred, perforated flake and extruded tubular powders such as #2400, 5744, RL7, 4227, 4198 will give best results. Of these Alliant #2400 is the only one which in my experience, performs normally at loading densities below 50% of case capacity. 5744, RL7, 4227 and 4198 should not be loaded at less than 50% of available case capacity. Extruded powders slower than RL7 or 4198 should not be loaded at less than 70% of case capacity. The Hodgdon 75% rule is sound!

For full charge loads, choose a powder in which a safe charge occupies not less than 80% of the powder space and in which velocity standard deviations of a 10-shot sample fired with the powder uniformly positioned using a "SAAMI roll" do not exceed 1% of the sample average. The military procedure is more severe and consists of 5 rounds fired "base tap" and five rounds fired " nose tap" in the sample.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 24th, 2023 at 8:51am
Print Post  
that info was from Ed Harris.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #18 - May 31st, 2023 at 4:47am
Print Post  
I punch out wads from the water pipe insulation.
I plug the case mouth to prevent any chance of ringing my barrel.
One Alberta Schutzen Guild member ringed his RKS stainless steel barrel at the base of his seated bullet by placing floral foam directly down on the H108 powder.
He now slices off wads from window foam backer rod and plugs his case mouth to prevent ringing of his new barrel.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2023 at 4:58am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 31st, 2023 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
how'n hell do you cold smoke stuff? I just used a sharp knife to cut my foam the one time I tried it. Works good if you know how to sharpen a knife.
My granddaugter is heading to France for a trip next week. Hope she doesn't get clogged up with cheese. Or frogs.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #20 - May 31st, 2023 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
  I'm with calledflyer, a sharp knife.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 31st, 2023 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Really!! 
What in the Hell has now happened to this site has it now just become another TicToc site.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
A couple years ago, I was doing a vinyl siding job on a house
of mine. 
Used Fan Fold foam House Wrap under the siding .
When I got the "urge" to go with breech seating, I messed with pipe insulation, and the floral foam.
And then it hit me to try a couple pieces of left over House Wrap. It is +- 0.225" thick. I just peel the very thin film off it and then cookie cut with my loaded cases. I do like to have the case mouths inside chamfered to make better cuts on the foam to plug the case mouths.
Works great, it is also polystyrene like the floral foam, but
is a bit more dense foam and is not brittle and crumbly like the floral foam. No indication of any bad residue in the barrels.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 4:50am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 31st, 2023 at 7:49pm:
What is Tic Toc?  

Hi John. Where you been? 

Aren’t tic-toc's biscuits.......or only down here??

Gumpy

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2023 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
talking about hijacking a serious thread.....
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

ndnchf
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 7:02am
Print Post  
"For reduced rifle charges, lightly deterred, perforated flake and extruded tubular powders such as #2400, 5744, RL7, 4227, 4198 will give best results. Of these Alliant #2400 is the only one which in my experience, performs normally at loading densities below 50% of case capacity. 5744, RL7, 4227 and 4198 should not be loaded at less than 50% of available case capacity. Extruded powders slower than RL7 or 4198 should not be loaded at less than 70% of case capacity. The Hodgdon 75% rule is [b]sound!"[/b]

Thank you
This answers a question I've had regarding loads for my .25-25 Stevens discussed in another thread. I want to keep velocity under 1500fps, but that very long, skinny case makes it a challenge to get appropriate powder density and consistent ignition.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #26 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I believe his reference to the percentages of case volume all apply to the absence of any type of case filler.  In my opinion when a weightless CASE FILLER !!! is used those percentages do not apply.
Again it may be helpful to look at a shot shell where the powder charge occupies a very small percentage of the case volume. Since in a shot shell the projectile is 100% internal withing the case the actual case volume might be best measured from the bottom of the shot cup to the top of the case head.  Still it is quite a large volume because most shot ammo is in much  larger calibers that what we generally discuss here..

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
I have read that the case for ringing a barrel is causing the powder to lay flat no matter the position of the case. Touching the powder with any disc shaped plug would create this situation. 
I suppose a couple of thousands of an inch is enough angle/slope.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

Grumpy gumpy

Reply #28 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Red Cent wrote on Jun 4th, 2023 at 6:48pm:
I have read that the case for ringing a barrel is causing the powder to lay flat no matter the position of the case. Touching the powder with any disc shaped plug would create this situation. 
I suppose a couple of thousands of an inch is enough angle/slope.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I thought that a flat laying powder charge was one of the causes of the secondary explosion effect that causes mayhem to rifles

And what happened to all the posts....did the anti humour bandits strike again 
Gumpy 

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #29 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
I sent you a PM about that. Jack deleted his posts so I deleted mine. Beltfed didn't like our forum decorum. Somebody got to Jack anyway. Some of my best posts get deleted. I drove to the stower to buy a new mouse trap so I wouldn't gross people out. Sometimes I wonder why I bother. 

First I've ever heard of a secondary explosion.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint