Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re-use charcoal when color case hardening? (Read 4975 times)
ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Re: Re-use charcoal when color case hardening?
Reply #30 - May 1st, 2023 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
i went with greg yesterday to a schuetzen match in sheridan, i saw the hepburn, he got colors that few people that do this get anymore. reds, greens yellows and blues, not browns and greys. it really looked good and better than the pictures show. there was a place years ago, case color of ohio that not only got the correct colors but the right patterns of  the old guns. shame he is no longer in business.but don't tell greg i complemented him i only give him grief.   tony<><

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #31 - May 2nd, 2023 at 12:53am
Print Post  
I have reused charcoal but have stopped now.  I get the bone charcoal from Ebonex and use hardwood lump charcoal I grind myself.  I have pics of a few projects on my website[url] (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)[/url].

Here is a highwall I did on Friday.  I just oil it and go, the colors mellow with time.

May 2nd, 2023 at 12:50am

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - May 2nd, 2023 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Rex,
Thanks for sharing, I followed a few of your projects on the CGN forum and your website is great - I'll be following that now.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #33 - May 2nd, 2023 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
GT, Thanks for adding to the thread.  There is no intrusion!  Smiley

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #34 - May 2nd, 2023 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Rex N, Why did your stop reusing the charcoal?  Also, please describe how you grind the lump charcoal.  I just returned from a squirrel shoot.  One of the farmers lets me have all the cow skeletons I want.  He thinks I am a little strange for wanting it, but he lets me shoot on his property anyway.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Rex N

Reply #35 - May 3rd, 2023 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Hi,

I found it was costing too much to get the charcoal bone dry again.  It has a lot of porosity so it holds a crazy amount of water. I was cooking it for hours on my BBQ but the propane was getting expensive.  I also found the colors were a bit less consistent than using fresh charcoal.  Maybe if I lived in a hot place like the desert I could leave it in the son for a month to dry.

I grind the wood charcoal with an old meat grinder I picked up at a garage sale.  I use my lathe in back gear (about 40 rpm) to turn it.  It takes lots of horse power but it grinds nicely. I used to sieve the charcoal but now I use it fines and all.  I cover my lathe with tarps before I grind so the dust doesn’t get all over it.  Ideally I would have one with its own motor so I could do it outside.  Takes far more power to grind than meat!  I drop in one piece of lump charcoal at a time and use the plate with really big holes so it doesn’t create so many fines.  I think they are about 7/16” dia.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - May 3rd, 2023 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I don't do much Case Hardening so grinding for me is actually pounding.  Got an old cracked Dutch Oven that I put about 15 pieces in then use a Length of 1" Black Iron Pipe to pound with.  Learned that a series of light blows works better than trying to Beat it To Death, and a lot easier!  Not messy and being a Grumpy Old Batchelor any thing that helps keep the shop clean.....well let's just say my Broom is somewhere 😂

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - May 11th, 2023 at 1:16am
Print Post  
Got my copies of the Double Gun Journal - Winter 1996 (Vol 7 Issue 4) and Spring 1997 (Vol 8 Issue 1)... These have a 2-part article "The Color Case-hardening of Firearms - Part I & II by Oscar L Gaddy. Very detailed... still reading through it.
Interesting that he does talk about reusing charcoal in certain cases...
Jeff P

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #38 - May 11th, 2023 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
I'm anxiously standing by to learn more....

IP Logged

idjeffp
Senior Forum Member

Reply #39 - May 12th, 2023 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
fishoot... check your PM's
JP

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint