Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 2 piece extractor for center fire? (Read 274 times)
gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

2 piece extractor for center fire?
Apr 2nd, 2023 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I see 2 piece extractors for rim fire mentioned here and like the idea. Has anyone designed one for a center fire, 9 o'clock?  Rimmed case, of course. I made a 9 o'clock, one piece, extractor for a Hauck; a lot of work and iffy results. I do not want to do that again!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 2 piece extractor for center fire?
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I guess my thought on two piece for a centerfire would depend on the cartridge and the barrel shank size.  Although, this doesn’t really answer your question.  The sliding portion of the two pieces usually rides in a machined slot, cut in the side of the shank. Designing one wouldn’t necessarily be hard but, there could be a safety concern involve if the shank was thin under the slot.
Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2023 at 2:19pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
gwahir,
I did a sliding extractor in one of my Ballard builds, a 40-70SS much like I do the 22's.  I did hoop stress calculations for it and the safety margin is good (don't recall exact numbers) but I wouldn't want to cut it any closer.  The shank size on my builds is slightly larger than the originals so I had a little more room to work.   I kept the slider width and thickness to a very minimum forcing me to use better materials for it - 17-4ss and heat treated.  Any larger cartridge and I wouldn't even consider it.   
I know there are several early rifles out there that use this design, a rolling block comes to mind and I've looked hard at these and they do cause me to say hmmm with builds I've seen.

I just finished making an extractor for a Hepburn and a Sharps that had slightly different extractor cuts in them, I know the feeling - the one piece is not a favorite of mine either. 
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks, gentlemen. I am using a 1 1/16" shank on the Hauck,  with 30-30 brass so that is good. This is the extractor that I built. The Hauck has a 6 o'clock extractor with very little movement. Going to this one, I got enough movement at the cost of extensive modification to the block. I am thinking a 2 piece would require less block modification. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2023 at 9:00pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint