Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) making 25-20SS and 22 Lovell brass from .223 (Read 3369 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: making 25-20SS and 22 Lovell brass from .223
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Looks too easy to be true, once you have the tools made.   

Thanks.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #16 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I just used my C&H4D .25-21 die set to form the cases down. Some Imperial sizing wax, and multiple strokes to get the cases down to final size. 
I tried this without turning base diameter first, and had no luck. Then I used up numerous cases figuring out how much metal to remove prior to forming to make them form easier, but not lose too much metal. I found not every brand of case were equal, and ruled out some that had thin spots towards the lower base diameter, and weren't good candidates. Can't recall the brands I liked best, or which I avoided now, as it's been a very long time since I did these cases for the Stevens 47 I had then.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I followed the directions on this thread on making 25-20 ss brass from 223 cases.  Everything worked as discussed but now I need to thin the brass at the neck.  What is the best way to cut the brass at the neck?  The brass out of the sizing die is tapered nothing is straight so open to suggestions.  Thanks for your help making cases.  Charlie

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I have chucked the rim in my little mini-lathe and the neck in a center and spin at high speed using a file and sanding block to remove metal.  Not precise but it works in my tight chambered 32-40.

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 16th, 2023 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
I'm assuming you want to thin the neck walls.   

The NECK portion should be within a thou or two of being straight, so O.D. turning is easiest.   But I'm concerned that you should say it's tapered.    Have you run an M-die type expander in it yet?

Can I also assume that you have a lathe? 

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

brian1
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Oct 17th, 2023 at 4:14am
Print Post  
cheatin_charlie wrote on Oct 16th, 2023 at 5:12pm:
I followed the directions on this thread on making 25-20 ss brass from 223 cases.  Everything worked as discussed but now I need to thin the brass at the neck.  What is the best way to cut the brass at the neck?  The brass out of the sizing die is tapered nothing is straight so open to suggestions.  Thanks for your help making cases.  Charlie

If you're referring to the neck wall thickness, what you need is a K&M neck turning tool.  Essentially a micro hand lathe.   All the benchrest guys use them.   All the tools, plus PDF and video info here:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

NRA Benefactor +, GOA Life, GONH Life, CRPA Life, SAF Life, FPC member

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 8:15am
Print Post  
I have decided to make a bushing to fit over the neck to force it straight then inside ream the neck to get the brass to the correct thickness.  Since these cases were made from .223 rem. the necks are formed from the shoulder area of the .223 brass and is varying thickness.  The bushing will also keep the brass from expanding when reaming.  I believe this will solve the problem.
Charlie

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Best way to deal with neck thickness is to press the cases onto a mandrel (well centered, of course, so you may have to turn the mandrel in place, or rely on a collet).   Then it is easy to turn the OD to leave the concentric desired neck thickness.   If you use a stepped mandrel, you can make the cases to exactly fit the chamber and leave a "stop" on the inside to give a loaded round of the desired OAL.   Everything then will be perfectly aligned.  Don't ever have to size the necks, just push the bullets in with your fingers.

If you put a shell-holder in the tail-stock, that will serve to push the cases onto the mandrel and to pull them off.

CHRIS

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 18th, 2023 at 10:56am
Print Post  
cheatin_charlie wrote on Oct 18th, 2023 at 8:15am:
I have decided to make a bushing to fit over the neck to force it straight then inside ream the neck to get the brass to the correct thickness.  Since these cases were made from .223 rem. the necks are formed from the shoulder area of the .223 brass and is varying thickness.  The bushing will also keep the brass from expanding when reaming.  I believe this will solve the problem.
Charlie

If you can keep the reamer running concentric, this is the best, if not the easiest, way. 

The benchrest guys talk about a "doughnut" forming at the transition from shoulder to neck, when OD turning.  Reaming avoids this altogether.   

The Wilson system reams, for what that's worth.

At one point, after I got my "big" South Bend 10" Heavy running, I considered a pressing a case into a shouldered drill bushing, (McMaster 8492A176) chucking the assembly in a collet, and boring the ID out with a boring bar.  The bushing and collet would keep everything concentric, so the neck walls would be uniform. It would be slow, but you'd only have to do it once.  Using a shouldered bushing would give you something to grip when extracting the case using a reloading press.   

<div class=

IP Logged

brian1
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Dec 18th, 2023 at 5:57am
Print Post  
@uscra112 - I recognized your username bidding on some Lovell ammo on GB, so I didn't bid against you.   Hope you win it!   Smiley

NRA Benefactor +, GOA Life, GONH Life, CRPA Life, SAF Life, FPC member

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 18th, 2023 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Thanks Brian!   If (and it's a big if) it's actually in decent condition I plan to convert it back to .25-20.  That old brass really isn't up to Lovell pressures.  Never was, which is why there's so little original .25-20 left.  The Lovell guys were running it as high as 50,000 psi, and were getting just 3 or 4 loads out of it before it started failing.  Reverting it back to .25-20 will only subject it to pressures in the 10-12 kpsi range, and it should last a while.  Meanwhile the converted .223 will serve Lovell shooters much better.

I've actually got plenty of both, and being so badly handicapped now I never get the Lovells out anymore. So if it does convert back OK, I'll put it up for sale on the ASSRA forum.   People need it, as you well know.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint