Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LUBE FORMULA`S (Read 202616 times)
Jim_Borton
Global Moderator

LUBE FORMULA`S
Nov 21st, 2005 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I`m starting this thread for the posting of "Lube Formula`s"
I`m going to nail it to the top and everyone just post there "FAVORITE"
COME ON GUYS IF U KNOW THE FORMULA PUT IT DOWN!
Beewax 4oz
castor 4oz
lanolin 4oz
synthetic spermaceti 4oz
lead stearate 1oz
soap powder 1oz (ivory flakes)
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:25pm by Jim_Borton »  

Hugs & Kisses
ASSRA life
NRA life
NMLRA life

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: LUBE FORMULA`S
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
All I use is 50/50 Bee's Wax and Bear Grease seems to work with Black and Smokeless powders. 
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
My latest I call Red Bear

1 lb beeswax
1/2 lb lanolin
1/2 lb Bear Fat
8 oz Lube Gard

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
SPG for BP. for the smokeless loads mix of 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco and 10% Canola oil.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I use Charlie Dell's 36MA:

Beeswax
Synthetic spermaceti
600w worm gear oil
Lithium stearate
Anhydrous lanolin

Equal parts by weight, except 1/2 part lanolin

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck with my Frog Guano lube.  The exact proportions have changed a bit from batch to batch, but the basic recipe is;

40% Beeswax (unrefined)
     10% Carnauba Wax
     40% Anhydrous Lanolin
     10% Mink Oil 

I then add a couple of small blocks of green candle dye (which is itself in a Paraffin carrier) to get the desired color.  The mink oil started as a joke because of a comment in one of Charlie Dell's lube articles comparing lube to a fur coat on the bullet...and what better fur coat than MINK?  (Oh well, I guess you had to be there!)  I use the stuff they sell in little plastic jars for boot dressing...I don't know what else is in it, but it works.

I apply this lube with one of Charlie's Pope style lube pumps and try to keep a couple of sticks poured and wrapped in foil in my shooting box.  I have also used it with a Lyman Lubri-sizer to good effect.  This lube has worked rather well for me with smokeless powder, especially the IMR 4759 and H-108 I shoot the most.  It is OK with BP (as I would have expected) except in the very hottest and dryest conditions, during which I am now starting to use Dale53's formula for Emmert's.

All the usual disclaimers apply, YMMV, prices slightly higher in the South and West, don't eat yellow snow, etc.  Roll Eyes 

Froggie

IP Logged

rwjshooter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
HI
1lb. beewax
1/2 lb crisco
1/2 cup or thereabouts of Marvel Mystery Oil
RWJshooter

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I use Emmert's home mix with a slight change:
50% pure beeswax, 40% Crisco (the original solid shortning that looks like lard), 5% Canola Oil, and 5% Anhydrous Lanolin all by melted volume.

This is a very effective black powder lube and a very effective schuetzen smokeless lube.

High velocity smokeless loads I use NRA Alox/Beeswax mix (non schuetzen use).

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:24am
Print Post  
My favorite lube for black powder is bee's wax and white lithum grease. You heat the lithum and then add the bee's wax until you reach the consistancy you want. It has a very high melting point,  Sad unfortunatly you can't pan lube with it, you have to use it in a pump. I got this formula from Ray Day and Kenny Fox many years ago.

Bob

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:03am
Print Post  
For years I used Javalina Schuetzen Lube (the old Smiley's Formula) but the first batch that I recieved after Alox changed hands was different, Not as good. 
I swiched to Charlie Dells #59 C I have had good luck with it in both the pan and the pump.

40 Rod

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Emmerts and Darr back east. Had leading problems with one rifle in the 100 degree dry heat of the southwest. Am using Javalina Schuetzen and it cured the problem. SPG for black.

Dick

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Steve,

Here's the formula for Charlies 59C lube as taken from his book.

Beeswax  35%
Paracin 9  20%
Ivory Snow 05%
Castor Oil  10%
Anhydrous Lanolin   20%
Lead Stearate  10%

The formula for 36MA is slightly different than #36 and #36M in that Synaceti 125 has been exchanged for the Spermaceti and the Lanolin has been increased from 1/2 part to 1 part.

Lithium Stearate  1 part
600 W Worm Gear Oil  1 part
Beeswax  1 part
Synaceti 125  1 part
Anyhydrous Lanolin  1 part

There are some specific instructions as to how to put both of these lubes together. Not particularly complicated but they both appear to have to be done in a specific order. No mention in the assembly instructions says whether it can be used for BP. I would suspect not. If you want to try these I can post the instructions, or better yet,you should really get the books. Vol. 1 goes into a lot of detail on lubes. Probably more than you want to know.  Grin IT has some work on BP in Vol. II which Charlie was kind enuf to say I contributed to.

PETE
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 4:16pm by »  

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
While this lube is very simple and easy to mix it has worked well for me for over 35 years of shooting cast bullets with smokeless powder. Bullets lubed and stored for over twenty years were the same as the day they were lubed and when shot performed the same as freshly lubed bullets. This is the orginal "Darr #2 Lube Formula". I used this lube at velocities to 2000fs for gas check bullets when shooting handgun sillywets, having shot many 40's in unlimited class. No leading was observed when shooting plain base bullets up to 1650fs.

Equal parts by melted volume of paraffin wax (canning wax) and Vaseline petroleum jelly, add 1 tablespoon STP per each pound of mix. This is a good lube for both pan lubing and for use in lube pumps.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
For those recipes using Ivory Snow flakes as an emulsifier try replacing with the new Ivory Snow liquid concentrate.

It eliminates the hassle of trying to get the flakes to melt and stay in suspension. It also allows you to remelt the lube for pan lubing without worrying the soap will settle out of suspension.

Another ingredient to consider adding to your favourite recipe is metal conditioner which works its way into the metal pores and reduces chances of lead adhering to the bore.

The best mix of oils and waxes is dependent on the shooting condtions encountered. Of course the harder and stickier mixes are best for temperatures over 100 degrees F.

Need a stickier wax.
Try toilet bowl sealing wax.

Need a softer lube then increase your Crisco lard or Canola oil.

Need harder lube then increase the amount of bees wax.

Why are people adding lanolin to their lubes?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2005 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave, I don't know about others, but I started using anhydrous lanolin instead of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) at Charlie Dell's suggestion.  It is an animal product and soft so it serves the function of softening while being compatible with the beeswax I use.  I addition, it is about as sticky as anything I have found, so I think it binds the lube to the bullet well.

Now my question, what about Carnauba Wax?  I know why I am using it, but how about some of the rest of you?  Why do you use it and in what proportions??

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint