Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 38-55 for the Quigley shoot ? (Read 2595 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 38-55 for the Quigley shoot ?
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Some people have made fast twist 38's work quite well.  Most notably is Rick Moritz in silhouette with his 1:12 twist 38-50.

Here is a thread on the shiloh forum with posts by another guy shooting a 1:12 twist 38-50 and doing very well.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I've been curious about that cartridge for a long time, ever since Dan Theodore wrote about it.  I have a 38-50 already but have only shot it at schuetzen distances.  Gail at CPA is building me a 38-50 with a 1:12 twist.  It's just being checkered now and should be ready any time. 

Chris.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Agreed a good spotter is as valuable to the whole system as is the rifle and load.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Every time the topic of shooting long range, and bullet weight, and barrel twist come up, I wonder how the men doing this back in 1874 and later ever hit a target? Based on what guys "must have" for twist rates today, it would seem an impossibility for those shooters to ever hit anything past 300 yds., and yet they somehow did so.
My old original barreled single shots shoot pretty darn good at long range with twist rates that people today say are no good. I'm sure the tighter twist rates give an advantage, but it certainly shouldn't stop someone from going to the Q and having fun with slower twist rate rifles. Just get out and practice, and see what you can hit.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 1st, 2023 at 11:09am:
Every time the topic of shooting long range, and bullet weight, and barrel twist come up, I wonder how the men doing this back in 1874 and later ever hit a target? Based on what guys "must have" for twist rates today, it would seem an impossibility for those shooters to ever hit anything past 300 yds., and yet they somehow did so.
My old original barreled single shots shoot pretty darn good at long range with twist rates that people today say are no good. I'm sure the tighter twist rates give an advantage, but it certainly shouldn't stop someone from going to the Q and having fun with slower twist rate rifles. Just get out and practice, and see what you can hit.

I agree with you for sure, but to be fair, in the original days of long range shooting the 44 and 45 calibre rifles were considered minimum for long range.  The reprints iof the targets showed that they did quite well.  I think the Sharps LR rifles were 1:20 twist but I could be wrong. 

A friend says that the 40-90 Whatcheer was a 1:14 twist which shows that even the in the old days people were pushing it, twist wise.

But definitely, shoot what you've got!   I don't think the .38-55, no matter what the twist, is ideal.  But it's a lot better than a gun you don't have Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Didn't I see something recently about Rick Moritz using a 45-90 in a long range match? By the way, I shoot a 12 twist 38-50 with a 16 to 1 360 grain Dan Theodore bullet.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
In the Sandy hook trials in developing the 45-70 they shot to two miles with the Springfield trapdoor with 20" twist and the 500 grain infantry load.  The targets were the size of a couple city busses stacked together .  Angle of entry was very steep so much so that bullets could impact just in front of and just behind the target but still not hit it.  They must have been dropping nearly straight down.  Interesting was that they still penetrated to a depth of 9" into the packed beach sand.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 9:25am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Apr 1st, 2023 at 2:36pm:
Didn't I see something recently about Rick Moritz using a 45-90 in a long range match? By the way, I shoot a 12 twist 38-50 with a 16 to 1 360 grain Dan Theodore bullet.

For sure.  I haven't shot in America for several years, but last time I talked to him he was using the 38-50 for silhouette only, and his 45-90 for midrange and long range.  The light recoiling rifle is going to be better for silhouette, but in an all prone match like mid or long range you can use a heavier rifle to mitigate that.  Even a small amount of wind drift reduction is a big advantage at 500 and 600 yards.  Those targets are quite tricky, more so than the 800 & 900 yard targets in long range.  A small error in wind reading causes you to loose a point or two very easily. The top three spots are usually pretty tight and only separated by a handful of points.  That doesn't matter quite as much at a gong match as all you get are ones and zeros.

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I think a 1:20" or 1:21" was pretty common for a factory .44 or .45 caliber back in the late 1800's, and a bullet weight for long range was in the 500-as much as 550 gr. Paper patched of course for most, but late in the game grease groove also.
I haven't checked twist rate on my original Remington Creedmoor Rolling Block, but my Ballard #7 Long-Range is a 1:20 with it's .44-100 Ballard chamber.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Apr 4th, 2023 at 12:17am
Print Post  
We've shot Quigley several times with 38-55 in 12 twist and 360 grain bullets.  Perfectly capable, just hard to spot the hits and misses compared to 540 grain .458 bullets.

We shoot smokeless in the 38-55 for 1375 fps; shoot the same velocity with same bullet in 38-72 using black powder.   

The recoil of the 38 bullets is nice, but the ease of spotting the 540 grain 45-90 at the same 1375 velocity is an advantage.  Both bullet designs are the same, and the sight settings are the same among all three of the cartridges; enough that we just use the same setting adjustments as we change rifles/shooters at different relays.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 4th, 2023 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Every competition has the optional outfit, wanting to compete at high level best duplicate rifle/cartridge combinations that have done well. Just have fun it’s not essential to use optional.

My opinion, having fun, way the shooter/spotter/rifle is handled much more important than the loads details. Once equipment is up to competitive standard human performance will make the score.  I see guys all the time making mistakes handling vernier sight changes. If the gun is capable fast accurate sight setting changes according to the spotters input makes more difference than most other items.

Boats
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2023 at 5:21pm by boats »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 4th, 2023 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
boats wrote on Apr 4th, 2023 at 5:14pm:
fast accurate sight setting changes according to the spotters input makes more difference than most other items.

Boats

My wife misses sometimes, say goes just off the left edge when I just told her to put in 8 minutes right.  I say, Wow, thought I gave you enough, put in 5 more, and she says "I didn't believe you, so I put in 4 instead of 8".  It's a game where you have to trust your spotter, if they know what they are doing.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 4th, 2023 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Just had a good example, friend sighting in new load at 200 yards offhand. I was spotting using a spotting board & push pins. Half dozen misses over the top no change to the sight setting.  Push pins showed the pattern.

Finally suggested he lower the sight 5 moa. Clang ,  strike bottom of the gong. Now put 2 moa back on. Clang dead center. Not playing games I was just a pickup spotter with no agreement in advance to steer the strikes & rarely give unsolicited advice. 

Tang vernier sight cost 3-400 dollars why not use it. It’s a often seen situation. Shooter either continues with off setting or worse works up the staff one minute at a time when the strikes show much more needed.

Bold move to expected correct setting as soon as the strikes are positively indicated, you can sight in with very few shots. During a match small tweaks as soon as less that centered is observed. 

Lean to use the tool 

Boats

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I bought a nice CPA in 38-50 last year.  1:12" twist that shoots the 335gr Lyman Schmittzer (if you knew Ed Schmitt, you know the story of Lymans' designer) fairly well.  I also have the MVA "Country Mile" vernier tang rear and Spirit Level Windgauge front.

As has been posted here, the spotter plays a crucial role.  Especially out to the Buffalo.

Rich

IP Logged

Ranch13
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 9:29am
Print Post  
The Quigley is a grand social gathering, and something everyone interested in BPCR should do at least once.
The targets are relatively large and with the exception of th Buffalo are 600 yards and under right I. The 38-55’s wheelhouse. Shoot a 300+ grain bullet cast 20-1 or harder and hope the ground is dry and your spotter has a good spotting scope to be able to see the misses, and go have fun.
Chances are if you decide to go again your rifle will be in a caliber that starts with 4

IP Logged

Poison Slinger
Participating Member

Reply #29 - Apr 10th, 2023 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
My daughter (and I a couple of the years) has shot her Marlin Ballard in 38-55 at Quigley and we have shot to our ability (the rifle can shoot better). I’m sure others can/have done better with the caliber.  In 2008 she had her best year and placed 4th overall in the women’s division with 30 hits including 4 on the Buffalo.  She has one of the rare Cody Ballard slight gain twist barrels on an original action. She uses a 330 gr Brooks 20:1 bullet carrying a fair amount of SPG over 45.5 grains of Swiss 1½ dropped 24 inches with a .06 wad, Starline brass and Rem 9½ primers. There is just a slight ‘crunch’ of compression (just to let us know we are on the powder). 

She could be a great shooter if she practiced more (wouldn’t we all), but life calls. 

Later Quigleys we switched to Blackhorn 209 to avoid the need to blow-tube and I believe it could work out as good or better – we found that 25.0 grains of Blackhorn pretty well equated to that load above with all the rest the same except we started to use Rem Mag primers – but I’m not sure that was needed. I believe in moderate conditions the 38-55 will handle itself fine. But it can blow at Q – and shooting over that cooler draw mid-day has some tricky winds. In the end, I think I shoot better because of the lighter recoil and that offsets issues with the wind (but I have NEVER been good at calling wind!).   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint