Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A palm rest notion (Read 1058 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

A palm rest notion
Apr 7th, 2023 at 8:59am
Print Post  
I recently bought a palm rest casting from Westerner and in due time managed to finish it (my terms – it’s functional), a lot of projects in my world are “finished” when they reach the point that they are usable not necessarily polished and look pretty – that’s over-rated and I save that effort for the paying jobs.   The casting that Wes sells is really a good deal and if you have any mechanical aptitude and ambition - need a clamp on style of palm rest - contact Westerner and see if he has any left.  (he did not pay me for this little bit of nudging or give me any discounts)   
The issue that led up to the build I’m writing about coincides with the problem of me “half finishing” my projects.  It deals directly with the size that my forends on these rifle builds tend to be… large.   Usually too large for the casting that Wes offers.   Eventually I whittle the forend wood down to the shape they need to be but it’s never a high priority on my list – many of you have seen my patented process I use for forend retention – the black innertube bands, heck I rarely get the screw in place so why would I finish the wood.   
The build.  I dug through my scrap bins hoping I’d find some brass that would work to make an oversize saddle part for another palm rest but the closest material resembling brass this size in my mess was some Aluminum bronze, besides being expensive it‘s difficult material to work.  I’d saved a couple of welding rod cans of brass shavings from a recent job – with the idea I’d fire up the foundry, make a pattern, ram up a mold and pour a few… that’s a pipe dream with my current schedule.  So here’s where I went.  There was a piece of 2.25” stressproof (1144) being kicked around the rack.  For those that don’t know, in comparison to a lot of the materials we work with, this stuff is pleasant to work with, finishes nice, so off I went.  I chucked this up and started whittling.  As the photos show, I had a visual pattern so beyond that, I have no drawings and couldn’t tell you a dimension except that the bore of the yoke is about an eighth inch larger in width than the cast one.  The pin for the pivot was reamed to 3/16” and the cap screw holes are 1.875” on centers drilled and tapped for 10-32’s.   

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A palm rest notion
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2023 at 9:01am
Print Post  
The cap was made from a short piece of 1” square hot roll.  The width of the yoke is somewhere around ¾” wide so this 1” stock gave me a little material for clean-up.  I machined the cap to a few thousandths wider so I could file these two parts together.   The rest of the yoke needs its outer edges contoured so a little time with a grinder and a lot of time with a file it will come around.  I’m not sure yet what finish it will get, lazy and blued? Or run through with the next batch of color case?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2023 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Nice work as always. Thanks for posting.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2023 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Nice work!  Color cased will look great.  Can't wait to see the handle.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2023 at 10:47am
Print Post  
That's really nice Greg! Wont take much more to be a highly finished piece!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2023 at 11:25am
Print Post  
As usual, nice work Greg.  Case color would be nice.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Nice work! I learn alot on this forum !  Now for the guy that doesnt have the equipment ,Westeners  rough casting is the way to go. still waiting to see one of his completed...anyone got pics?

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I believe westerner posted a photograph of one he finished sometime back. I am sure he will respond if so!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2023 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
There were a couple of folks that did finish theirs maybe they'll share?  Jerry should have one nearly done, maybe he'll post pictures of his on here?  Wink
Pete,
Here is the link on my build from Westerner's casting

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

a lathe makes this project a much easier operation with a file and lots of emery paper.  The link between the two parts and the wood are the only other parts one will have to make.

Greg

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 1:15am
Print Post  
GT wrote on Apr 9th, 2023 at 11:45pm:
   Jerry should have one nearly done, maybe he'll post pictures of his on here?  Wink
Greg

Bawahahaha. "Focus" is not a word in my vocabulary. Cheesy I'm pretty sure I'm the King of Unfinished Projects. Grin Maybe this will inspire me to get back to the palm rest castings. I'll have to see what tomorrow brings.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 11th, 2023 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint