Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic BP Silhouette Rules (Read 317 times)
rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

BP Silhouette Rules
Apr 13th, 2023 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I see there has been some discussion of the limitation of BP rifles' configuration for BP Silhouette shooting.   My take is that the rules restrictions are beneficial.  Take for instance a comparison with ordinary silhouette shooting.   It quickly became an equipment race, and in order to be competitive, one had to have a rather extra-ordinary rifle.  The origin, of course, of "ordinary" silhouette shooting was the Mexican sport, and the usual practice was that a person could take an ordinary sporting rifle out and have a good time.   Quite popular for a short while, until specialty rifles became necessary to be competitive.

At the advent of BP silhouette, the rules were fixed so as to allow only "ordinary" rifles, and as a result, the sport has burgeoned to eclipse "conventional" HP silhouette, which has essentially disappeared from the scene.   I feel that this is the DIRECT result of a refusal to allow "unusual" rifle configurations, such as stock dimenensions, rifle weight, calibers, etc.  Hard to fault success.....

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: BP Silhouette Rules
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2023 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I agree with Chris, was Smallbore Silhouette match director our club. Most shooters were in the Hunter rifle class essentially factory stock rifles. Some shot Silhouette rifle class with liberal alteration rules. Then pressure from some vocal elite shooters at the national level opened up Hunter class alterations . Grass roots, our club no preassue for change 

Result NRA Silhouette my club about dead today. We still have good turn out Lever Silhouette and club rule Single shot matches CF & RF well attended.

Gear changes rarely good for the sport.

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint