Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Ladies 56 (Read 3546 times)
Steamtractor
Participating Member

Re: Stevens Ladies 56
Reply #15 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
The barrel has the SN stamped on bottom, in front of the forearm just like any other Stevens. The back face of the forearm where it goes against the frame, also has the SN stamped in the wood. And, the barrel channel is contoured to match the round barrel. So, I have no reason to think the rifle wasn’t ordered with a round barrel.
Also for those that wondered the front of frame is stamped with two stacked zeros or “O’s” in kind of a figure eight, and a tiny “EX”. Also where the barrel meets the frame it (barrel) has what looks like “H” and “P” stamped on top of each other. This is hidden under the wood.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I find your ladies model 56 quite interesting, Stevens would certainly make what you wanted.

Here’s a couple of pictures of my Stevens 45-44 1/2 that has a full round barrel. It was sent back to Stevens for rebarreling after Savage bought Stevens. It has the Stevens Arms Company stamping on the barrel rather than the Stevens Arms and Tool stamping that it should have. The barrel has a matching serial number on the barrel underneath the forearm. This rifle while a little rough has an excellent bore in .25 Stevens rimfire.

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Sure Shot you are right, mine is a factory re-barrel says Stevens Arms like yours! Looks like they retained the original forearm and re-cut the barrel channel to fit. Removed, I see faint indications in the wood of a former octagon channel.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Glad you got it figured out. To me it being a factory rebarrel doesn’t hurt the collector value at all, and makes it a little more special.

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
I like your thinking!

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #20 - May 27th, 2023 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Late reply but congrats on your 56.  Here is my 56 Ladies rifle, on the 044 1/2 action.  Two barrel set with matching serial numbers, .22 Short and .22 LR.   
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2023 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Check this out, another DST no.56 Ladies rifle like mine with a seemingly original round barrel.
I took this screenshot from an upcoming auction catalog.
Leaves me wondering if the round barrel on mine could be original after all, or is this one a later replacement as was suggested about mine?
Things that make you go hmmm...

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #22 - Nov 26th, 2023 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Steamtractor, since your barrel is stamped "STEVENS ARMS COMPANY" and the forearm shows evidence of being reworked for a round barrel, I'd say your rifle was factory-rebarreled.  Otherwise, for your barrel to be original to your rifle, you'd have to accept that early in its Savage ownership days, Stevens still had enough parts to make at least one more, specially-ordered Model 56.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Steamtractor
Participating Member

Reply #23 - Jan 1st, 2024 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Don’t know if you guys saw it or not, but yet another similarly configured round barrel Stevens showed up middle of last month on  Gunbroker. Again, a DST 44-1/2 frame 26” barrel with late markings, and a nice bore. This one a model 45 with no.3 Swiss butt plate. Matching numbers, SN 5298. It sold on the 18th.
This makes four similarly configured late/replacement barreled rifles I know of. Two no. 56’s and two no.45’s, all four with DST and open levers. Can’t help but wonder, Bill, if your second point might be valid if the parts they had left to assemble provided these action/lever/stock combinations? I guess we’ll never know, it’s safe to assume these were all sent back for new barrels. I am curious, are there more numerous examples of base model 44-1/2 single trigger round re-barrels by Savage/Stevens out there, that people know of? 
Thanks for info,
Andy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint